in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,817 books
 New: 193 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

LOONEY TUNES: Anybody a fan?

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: LOONEY TUNES: Anybody a fan?  (Read 4506 times)

bakerman3

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: bakerman3
message icon
LOONEY TUNES: Anybody a fan?
« on: March 28, 2010, 12:20:02 AM »

Anybody a fan of the old Looney Tunes & Merrie Melodies shorts from the "Golden Age of Animation"?  I have all the Golden Collection box sets of Looney Tunes that Warner released over the last several years, and it's a shame they discontinued them in favor of single disc releases.

Anyway, for those of you who are fans, I wanted to call your attention to this great interview I just listened to from Jerry Beck, who is an animation historian and who has written several books on the subject of animated cartoons.  He talks about the classic Looney Tunes cartoons and their directors as well as all the problems he has faced in trying to get Warner Bros. to restore and release their cartoon library on DVD.  He also updates on what the current status of the Popeye sets are.

I'm just glad that someone like Jerry is around or else we would not have had the box set cartoon releases that we've gotten so far.  Hopefully, he will be able to coax more out of the studios soon.

You can listen to the interview yourself at www.ustownhall.com  It's really great to hear the stories of someone on the inside of the business.  Interestingly enough, ustownhall.com also had a bunch of video interviews with one of the better DC Comics artists of today, Jamal Igle, who draws SUPERGIRL.

Just wanted to pass this info along in case some of you who are Looney Tunes fans didn't hear it yet.
ip icon Logged

Astaldo711

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
Re: LOONEY TUNES: Anybody a fan?
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2010, 01:09:01 AM »

I grew up on that stuff and I love it. I can watch an episode I haven't seen in years and still quote it nearly verbatim.
ip icon Logged

boox909

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2010, 01:22:49 AM »

I spent many an hour watching these beloved cartoons.  ;D

I consider myself fortunate enough to have even watched the ones that the Politically Correct Bund complain about.  :-X

You can learn about about American culture (good and not so good) by watching these things, why try and hide what is?

B.  :)
ip icon Logged

bchat

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: bchat
message icon
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2010, 05:11:42 AM »

I have most of the Spotlight Collections (two DVDs each), missing only vol 3 (the movies).  I'm a fan of the cartoons and my kids enjoy them (the smaller twin loves Tweety Bird), so having them to view whenever everybody wants is great.
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2010, 11:11:18 AM »

I consider myself fortunate enough to have even watched the ones that the Politically Correct Bund complain about.  :-X

You can learn about about American culture (good and not so good) by watching these things, why try and hide what is?

I agree that they should be available. I would not run in series with the other as they may not be appropriate for younger children. I wish Amos and Andy would be allowed on TV. VHS shows came out but I believe they were pulled from the market and as far as I know no commercial DVD's have been made. I do not think it would negatively affect the opinions of blacks or whites as it is easily recognized as a sign of hte times.

I am not a fan of reruns and usually wait ten years before rewatching a tv show or movie. It is been so many years since I watched Looney Toons with my son when he was little that I would probably thoroughly enjoy them again. They were written for adults at the theaters and can be enjoyed by all ages forever. I can not imagine that being said about much of the crap being put out for kids today. There are still gems like Rugrats and Spongebob that will stand the test of time but I wonder but an adult who can sit through an episode of Ed, Ed and Eddie.
ip icon Logged

arghhh

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: arghhh
message icon
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2010, 09:11:34 PM »

Looney Tunes have a cult following in my country to this very day, nay, they are a religion! ;D Our dubbing is considered legendary here, as the voice actors had great time and almost all of the gags they adapted to our language entered the slang.Next to our movies, they are probably most qouted stuff, but the dubbed version.I can't qoute much from the english language versions. :)

Also, Spongebob, awesome cartoon made even more awesome by dubbing on par with the legendary Looney dubbing ( a rare achievement these days in my country :( ).
ip icon Logged
Comic Book Plus In-House Image

bakerman3

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: bakerman3
message icon
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2010, 11:11:12 PM »

It's interesting that some of you mentioned Spongebob Squarepants because in the interview mentioned above, Jerry Beck does say that Spongebob is an example of the better TV animation done today.

So what's everyone's favorite Looney Tunes cartoon?  I ask because in the interview, Mr. Beck talks about his upcoming book "The 100 Greatest Looney Tunes Cartoons."  However, he says his choices are listed in alphabetical order rather than ranked 1 to 100.

But if you HAD to pick your favorite or some of your favorites, what would they be?
ip icon Logged

arghhh

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: arghhh
message icon
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2010, 10:28:59 AM »

Marvin the Martian, because mad genius bent on world destruction is always loveable.....right? ;D Also, Elmer Fudd and Foghorn Leghorn for their quotability.And Pepe le Pew for his invaluable lessons on wooing teh ladies. :D

Oh, and Wile E. Coyote, for fighting the good fight all these years!

*waves fist menacingly toward the cursed Road Runner*
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2010, 02:28:09 PM »

Foghorn was always one of my favorites I thought Pepe and the Road Runner got tiresome after the first few. I always liked the sheepdogs and wolves that would change shifts than go off together for a beer (theoretically) Hanna Barbara I always like Yakki and Chopper. Does anyone remember Hercules Hare and his guided muscle. I really loved those and wanted a guided muscle of my own. Never seen these in reruns since I was a kid
ip icon Logged

BobS

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: BobS
message icon
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2010, 03:00:42 AM »

I spent many an hour watching these beloved cartoons.  ;D

One of my favorites is the one with Inki and the mynah bird. Dum da dum da da dum dum.

The Marvin the Martian cartoon are also among my favorites.

Also the Foghorn Leghorn and chicken hawk (Henery Hawk) cartoons.

Almost anything by Tex Avery is good.

OTOH, I think the Road Runner cartoons tend to be repetitious and boring.

Bob
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2010, 03:05:56 AM »

Not roadrunner fan for the same reason Bob
ip icon Logged

bowers

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2010, 09:47:33 PM »

I dunno guys- I've always felt a bond with the coyote. He buys every piece of crap churned out by the Acme Corp. and Ace Novelty Co. to achieve his nefarious ends. It could and should work, but never lives up to his expectations. He's not really bad, just a frustrated consumer, like the rest of us.
ip icon Logged

JVJ

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2010, 10:15:50 PM »

Did you ever see Chronicle Books' "The Acme Catalog" which offered all of the products in the cartoons for sale? The blurb on the cover says "Acme, Where Quality is Our #1 Dream!"

A riot and a half.

(|:{>
« Last Edit: May 27, 2010, 11:03:08 PM by JVJ »
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.