in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,817 books
 New: 194 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

New Changes to The Vintage Inkwell Academy for 2021

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: New Changes to The Vintage Inkwell Academy for 2021  (Read 2344 times)

The Ghost Man

message icon
New Changes to The Vintage Inkwell Academy for 2021
« on: April 22, 2021, 01:34:14 PM »

Greetings all,
         I've some big new plans in store for the blogsite The Vintage Inkwell Academy and I wanted to obtain some valuable input from the CB+ community for some ideas in the planning, direction and redesign. I recently experienced some issues that cropped up regarding the Menu not activating on mobile devices. This seems to be related to some antiquated coding within the paid vendor-abandoned theme for the blog itself. This in turn got me to consider an overhaul of the site in it's entirety.

I've already ditched Bluehost as my insufferably shite webhost and I just transferred the Ingenuity Serials website and The Vintage Inkwell Academy to a new one earlier this week. That transition over immediately made both sites load MUCH faster, but also now compelled me want to redesign both in order to better serve the visitors.

TVIA's come a long way since it's inception and has taken on a life of it's own, and as such, things must change and evolve. The first stage is completed of changing out webhosts, and now I'm full in the midst of stage two, the planning and redesign of TVIA. For one, TVIA will have a new, simpler URL site address of which I'm happy and excited to have secured.

Here's where I need your input to discover things you like about TVIA and things you hate or wish were added or changed. Please go to the site here: https://tvia.ingenuityserials.com preferably on mobile devices, and then if you'd be so kind, please reply back with what you like and hate, or challenges and frustrations with the site. Please be civil and constructive, and not just "The site's shit mate" lol, which wouldn't help me get to the core of what needs to be resolved.

Thanks sincerely to all in advance.

- TGM
« Last Edit: April 22, 2021, 01:36:54 PM by The Ghost Man »
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
Re: New Changes to The Vintage Inkwell Academy for 2021
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2021, 02:27:25 PM »

I will try the site on an android tablet later but right now I'm looking at TVIA on a pc and reading bits.  While I'm not interested in learning art techniques for myself (as a lad, I realised  pretty quickly that I couldn't grasp drawing) many others will be interested. 
The fact that you've gone to so much trouble to provide material is admirable.  While I share your disdain for most/many current comics, and your admiration for GA creators and characters, it was noticeable the lack of reference to other comic cultures in other countries, some of which have a longer history than that of American books. It doesn't annoy me as there are other sites trying to deal with e.g. British comic history. As you'll have noticed, here on CB+ we have many non-American based members, a fair number of whom are keen on discovering comics from other cultures.
Digressing a bit, your example of photoshop colouring on the Batman strip confused me.  I don't use and don't know how to use photoshop but neither do I see colours very well and at first, looking at the page, I couldn't discern that there were colours there.  Took me a minute or so to pick out a bit or two where there were colours.  That page is so different to a typical GA page. 
The Hero With A Code is great.  I love all that stuff.
Perhaps I should add that I enjoy many forms of art and this morning an email popped up from the Scottish National Gallery in Edinburgh for the next members online talk which is Cadell's Edinburgh.  Looking forward to that.  This wee video might be of interest:-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwbX7CDDfg4&t=14s

I doubt any of the above will help you. Good luck.
ip icon Logged

The Ghost Man

message icon
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2021, 03:51:23 PM »

Greetings Paw, thanks for your response which I actually found helpful. You've given me some good feedback to be aware of in terms of thinking more globally instead of focusing primarily on American comics and illustrators. I will endeavour to be more cognisant and inclusive of this in my future posts.

I've got great things planned and not enough time on the clock to get them done as efficiently as I'd like. I'm not a web designer nor coder by any means, and have had to rise to the occasion knowledge-wise in a short period of time. I just have the energy, mind and will to see it through and see it done to the utmost of my abilities however limited.

Cheers for the Scottish National Gallery video clip, I'm always interested in seeing art mediums produced with unique skill.
ip icon Logged

bowers

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2021, 08:05:33 PM »

This is my first visit to this amazing site and I wasn't disappointed! Have only had time to barely scratch the surface of this treasure-trove but I will certainly spend much more time here. Sorry, can't help you with mobile device issues as I don't own one. Thanks for sharing with us! Cheers, Bowers
ip icon Logged

The Ghost Man

message icon
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2021, 03:20:35 AM »

Thanks Bowers, no worries about the mobiles, your reply helps. Very glad you like the site and its resources and found them of value. Thanks for your support as a visitor.
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2021, 11:15:12 AM »

I accessed the site on an android tablet.  No problems.  All the sections opened.  The other thing about those Kirby Cap pages that I don't think you mention, is the layout mostly makes the eye follow from panel to panel. It leads the reader through the page. Jesse Marsh does this very well and it's important.  We've all seen layouts that confuse and the eyes dart about looking for the correct next panel.  Sometimes panels were numbered to get around that, but well thought out layout is always better.
ip icon Logged

The Ghost Man

message icon
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2021, 06:34:25 PM »

Thanks Paw, for the testing and advice. If you would be so kind, could you leave a comment at that TVIA post pointing out what you just said, it would be most welcome. That's a good and important observation, I hadn't thought of that at the time I was composing it. In fact any helpful comic-savvy comments on any of my posts would be very helpful to readers.

ip icon Logged

The Ghost Man

message icon
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2021, 05:33:20 PM »

Greetings all, just a quick update on the progress so far. This is a massive project that I had to split into 5 separate stages as follows:

Stage One - Redesign site completely, build mock-up and create new theme completely from scratch. - COMPLETED

Stage Two - Perform content redesign changes, test in 5 different devices and adjust as necessary- COMPLETED

Stage Three - Export and Import over all books and ensure all links are working. Change over contact email and form. - IN PROGRESS

Stage Four - Write and edit brand new post. Review and re-edit all old posts, update images as necessary. - IN PROGRESS

Stage Five - Review and test, then perform SEO set-ups and adjustments. - IN PROGRESS

Finale - Grand opening of new site. - IN PROGRESS

This has been quite the endeavour but I am over the moon at the way it's turning out so far, and the changes will be visually mind-blowing for new and old visitors. I've spent quite a lot of time and effort into thinking through and producing the best experience for the audience. Unfortunately my illustration studies have been put on the back-burner in order to accomplish this renovation as well as everything else.
ip icon Logged
Comic Book Plus In-House Image

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2021, 02:13:27 AM »

A couple of comments on the comments.
From Paw -
  it was noticeable the lack of reference to other comic cultures in other countries, some of which have a longer history than that of American books. It doesn't annoy me as there are other sites trying to deal with e.g. British comic history. As you'll have noticed, here on CB+ we have many non-American based members, a fair number of whom are keen on discovering comics from other cultures. 

A valid point, but what to do about it?
I would imagine that currently you are a one-man band more or less, so your ability to spread yourself out wide would be limited.
So, perhaps ask people - here and on 'The Academy' site for links to relevant sites in other languages.
Then devise a statement of a page or two that you could email to those sites introducing yourself, outlining basically what the Academy is all about and asking permission to post links on your site, if the sites were relevant.
Start with a page of links with a short intro to what the sites are. This way you could build up this resource slowly and perhaps be able to get someone else to handle that under your supervision.
I'm bearing in mind that the Inkwell is primarily concerned with looking at older [more traditional] techniques and technology. There would likely be some interesting things to learn about how they do it in other cultures.
I would, however suggest that you don't attempt to do too much too soon, so that it gets too daunting.
It's important that you continue to enjoy what you are doing.
Also from Paw:-
The other thing about those Kirby Cap pages that I don't think you mention, is the layout mostly makes the eye follow from panel to panel. It leads the reader through the page. Jesse Marsh does this very well and it's important.  We've all seen layouts that confuse and the eyes dart about looking for the correct next panel.  Sometimes panels were numbered to get around that, but well thought out layout is always better.

Kirby was a master at getting the eye to go where he wanted it to go.
He was also a genius at doing this with covers. It's worth taking an hour or two looking at Kirby's covers and learning what your eyes do subliminally and how Kirby knew how to get your eyes to follow the information on the page exactly how he wanted them to.On many of his covers, particularly the early ones, you can use your fingers and trace lines from the top of the page to the bottom, crossing at a point in the middle. So the whole page is laid out on a basic X grid - Including word balloons and everything on the page-you have to be looking for it to find it - I only got it very recently. Looking at a piece of art as an exercise in composition is very different from looking at it as we do just picking it up to read the story inside. He was much less obvious about  it in his later years. Like most artists I think as he matured he went from thinking deliberately about everything to working from experience and instinct.

I have to be careful talking about Kirby - I can get seriously carried away.

The changes in the site haven't affected the Web address have they?   

Cheers!                 
ip icon Logged

The Ghost Man

message icon
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2021, 04:50:40 PM »

Hi AP and thanks for your cogent and edifying points. TVIA will be at a completely new address with an easily identifiable and shorter URL. I indeed am the one-man show working as hard as a one-legged man at an arse kicking contest. Also, just to clarify things, the old TVIA will stay up and running during this migration

Cheers, got to get right back at it.

- TGM
« Last Edit: May 25, 2021, 04:56:26 PM by The Ghost Man »
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2021, 03:52:43 AM »

Ghostman, looking forward to your posting the new address here on CB+ when the work is ready for the final migration.

Don't burn out!

Cheers!
ip icon Logged

The Ghost Man

message icon
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2021, 05:51:01 PM »

Greetings all, just an update on the new TVIA site progress so far. It's been a lot of work so far, but it's going well, and I'm trying to get it done as soon as possible. I'll say one thing, you gotta be nuts to want to do this for a living and I can't wait to get back to drawing studies.

Stage One - Redesign site completely, build mock-up and create new theme completely from scratch. - COMPLETED

Stage Two - Perform content redesign changes, test in 5 different devices and adjust as necessary - COMPLETED

Stage Three - Export and Import over all books and ensure all links are working. Change over contact email and form. - COMPLETED

Stage Four - Write and edit brand new post. Review and re-edit all old posts, update images as necessary. - IN PROGRESS, three out of 5 have been completed so far.

Stage Five - Review and test, then perform SEO set-ups and adjustments. - IN PROGRESS

Finale - Grand opening of new site. - IN PROGRESS
« Last Edit: July 12, 2021, 12:36:30 PM by The Ghost Man »
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2021, 05:23:01 AM »

Thanks for the Heads Up!
ip icon Logged

The Ghost Man

message icon
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2021, 06:42:28 PM »

Greetings again all,
           Just popping in quick with another progress update. Things are shaping up well so far and my last post rewrite is over at my editor's getting the once over. As soon as it comes back I compose it all in the website  builder and publish it out. I'm very close to the relaunch and thank everyone for their patience.

Stage Two - Perform content redesign changes, test FOR 5 different computer OR mobile devices and adjust as necessary - COMPLETED

Stage Three - Export and Import over all books and ensure all links are working. Change over contact email and form. - COMPLETED

Stage Four - Write and edit brand new post. Review and re-edit all old posts, update images as necessary. - ALMOST COMPLETED, 4 out of 5 have been completed so far and I'm working on the last.

Finale - Grand opening of new site. - COMING VERY SHORTLY
« Last Edit: July 04, 2021, 06:53:57 PM by The Ghost Man »
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2021, 02:12:22 AM »

Cheers!
ip icon Logged

The Ghost Man

message icon
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2021, 12:48:37 PM »

Greetings all, I have some very exciting news!

All stages of the TVIA 2.0 rebirth project have been COMPLETED!

Watch the forums for the official announcement with the new address for the Grand Opening scheduled for this Sunday July 18th!

I want to personally thank everyone for their patience and support during the reconstruction. Cheers to you all!

Stage Two - Perform content redesign changes, test in 5 different devices and adjust as necessary - COMPLETED

Stage Four - Write and edit brand new post. Review and re-edit all old posts, update images as necessary. - COMPLETED.

Stage Five - Review and test, then perform SEO set-ups and adjustments. - COMPLETED

Finale - Grand opening of new site. - SUNDAY JULY 18TH!
ip icon Logged

The Ghost Man

message icon
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2021, 12:21:39 AM »

As promised, I've posted the The Vintage Inkwell Academy 2.0 official announcement and new site link over here:

https://comicbookplus.com/forum/index.php?topic=20854.0

I wanted to avoid double posting so I made the official announcement in the forum's Blog and Site Links Page.
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.