in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,820 books
 New: 185 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Wrestling and comics

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Wrestling and comics  (Read 2447 times)

Janus Wolf

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
Wrestling and comics
« on: April 22, 2010, 03:50:31 AM »

Just curious, when I last went to the COMIC CON, here in Toronto, I notice the overlap between comics and wrestling stars attending. I am not sure why that is, but I have to admit, yes I am a fan of both. Anyone else a wrestling fan?

Janus
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
Re: Wrestling and comics
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2010, 09:28:57 AM »

I really can't stand wrestling, as in the American stuff we get on tv here.  A couple of my mates seem to love it, and go on about shows the've been to, so I have to listen to what sounds like a foreign language when we meet.  Strangely though, I collect Mexican superhero wrestling comics and also have a few of the films, which are corny but great entertainment.  I discovered these small pocket sized comics years ago in L.A. where they were sold by street vendors (and that pocket sized format intrigues me as it was a very popular format in the U.K., France, Italy and Mexico.  And Japan, I suppose.
But, and it's a big one, I used to watch wrestling on tv when I was in my early teens.  This was British wrestling with characters such as Jackie Pallo (who was in an Avengers episode and was knocked out by Honor Blackman, accidentally, during a stunt when the show was done in one take), Mick McManus, Kendo Nagasaki etc.  Completely different to the hyped up, modern, American version.
It occurs to me that one of the guys who owns a comic shop in Glasgow is also a big wrestling fan, so there is a connection there.
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2010, 01:55:15 AM »

Ditko did some WWF wrestling comics. Nothing ruins watching wrestling like ring side seats. I had a friend in the army who took to monthly matches because he wanted some company. It looks really rediculous from close up. One time the scheduled players could not come so they had the same ones from a previous. They did the same exact act. I mostly enjoyed watching little old ladies yelling "break his leg."
ip icon Logged

Roygbiv666

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2010, 11:57:35 AM »

Just curious, when I last went to the COMIC CON, here in Toronto, I notice the overlap between comics and wrestling stars attending. I am not sure why that is, but I have to admit, yes I am a fan of both. Anyone else a wrestling fan?

Janus

Epic storylines, good guys and bad guys, highly stylized violence, spandex, catch-phrases and signature moves. I see no connection.
ip icon Logged

DennyWilson

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2010, 08:23:36 AM »

While i'm not much of a modern wrestling fan, I have enjoyed watching kinescopes of 1950's "Hollywood Stadium Wrestling" shows whcih are alot of fun.
ip icon Logged
Comic Book Plus In-House Image

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2010, 12:26:49 PM »

I will say that Wrestling has had some interesting characters. I grew up with Bruno Samartino being the champion of all champions and a Batman wrestling on TV all the time. I saw Andre The Giant wrestling two men at once in Dallas
ip icon Logged

Astaldo711

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2010, 01:20:58 PM »

I was a fan many many years ago. Then I found out it was all fake and lost interest. It seems very cheesy and overly melodramatic to me now.
ip icon Logged

Roygbiv666

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2010, 02:02:31 PM »

I was a fan many many years ago. Then I found out it was all fake and lost interest. It seems very cheesy and overly melodramatic to me now.

Well, I think that's the style - it's like a soap opera, but for men.

Structurally it's like performance art, except instead of unintelligible, pretentious artsie-fartsie crap, it's dudes kicking each other in the face and doing back-flips off the top rope. We all know it's not "real" but willingly suspend our disbelief.

It's fake, but it's also real in the sense that they're doing essentially live stunt-work - no wires, no CGI, etc.

I started watching it again when I got my HDTV to see how "sports" looked on it (I don't watch sports, except women's figure skating (the manliest of all spectator sports), so this was as close as I'd get) and sort of got hooked.

It is like comic books with characters and story-lines. The matches may be pre-determined, but the athleticism of some of these performers (men and women) is pretty impressive. When someone does a backflip off the top rope it's pretty cool.
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2010, 02:43:34 PM »

Mini manly version of Circi Soliel or however you spell it
ip icon Logged

arghhh

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: arghhh
message icon
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2010, 09:16:31 PM »

It's weird, but as a kid, I loved american wrestling until I found out it was fake and had the brawny sweaty savage manhood of my heroes destroyed before my eyes.Then I grew older,wiser, more serious, and I watched couple of fights, just for laughs, and I'm a believer again!That's what the growing up does for ya, I tell you! ;D

I don't mind the fakeness now, since,as someone said, it requires skill and it's usually a good show too.

Chaos Comics had a slew of Wrestlemania comics in their day, including Chyna at her best. ;D

http://media.comicvine.com/uploads/0/9367/230471-19632-117775-1-chyna_super.jpg
ip icon Logged

DOC

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2010, 07:48:45 PM »

I've been watching since Freddie Blassie was fighting literally tooth and nail with John "The Golden Greek" Tolos back in the 70's at the Olympic Auditorium. I really think using the work "fake" is kind of harsh, ""choreographed" would be more appropriate. Like someone just said these guys take risk to entertain and sometimes the best choreographed act sometimes miss their mark and they can get really hurt.
I watch now and again though I will watch WWE 24/7 and watch classic WCW and NWA shows. Valiant and Marvel tried wrestling comics by treating the characters s real, it just didn't work.
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.