in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,823 books
 New: 181 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Mandrake the Magician

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Mandrake the Magician  (Read 606 times)

Andrew999

message icon
Mandrake the Magician
« on: June 11, 2021, 08:05:50 AM »

Today marks the 87th anniversary of the debut of Mandrake, Lee Falk's second best known but equally worthy creation:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mandrake_the_Magician

Surely time for a Mandrake movie?

ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
Re: Mandrake the Magician
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2021, 08:47:41 AM »

If a Mandrake movie were made today, he would become Female, Black and Gay - which makes a Zatanna movie - which I understand is on the cards, much more likely. I would go and see that.   
ip icon Logged

Andrew999

message icon
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2021, 03:39:55 PM »

The prognosis for Zatanna gets better and better. With the multi-talented Emerald Fennell writing the script (Killing Eve), this could be exactly how I like my women - dark and dangerous!

https://screenrant.com/zatanna-movie-tone-dark-scope-emerald-fennell-response/
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2021, 04:54:50 PM »

I've seen 3 different Mandrake films.

The TV film in the late 70s had no style, Mandrake walked around in an open shirt like he stepped out of a disco, and Lothar wore a TUX.  (What's wrong with this picture?)  What surprised me-- years after-the-fact-- was that, unlike the then-current DR. STRANGE tv-movie, the MANDRAKE movie actually got his origin right!  At the time, I had no idea he'd been taught REAL supernatural magic in the Himalayas.  (Most of his magic involves hypnotism-- but, it only works the way it does, because it's powered b ACTUAL magic, so his stage schtick acts as a "cover" for what he's really doing.  Amazing I never knew that the whole time I grew up reading the newspaper strip.)

Then there's the late-30s movie serial.  On it's own, it's okay, but it has NEARLY-NOTHING to do with the character seein in the comics.  Warren Hull (who was so damned good as The Spider and The Green Hornet) is not skinny enough, is clean-shaven, his girlfriend's blonde, he doesn't use hypnotism, and his sidekci is a HAWAIIAN guy named "Luh-THAR" (that's how it's pronounced).  How do you get EVERYTHING wrong like that?

And then there's the UNSOLD TV PILOT from the early 50s.  Man, I wish this had sold.  They got EVERYTHING right.  Mandrake was actually played by a real stage magician, he used hypnotism, his brunette girlfriend was Narda, and "LOW-thar" was played by Woody Strode.

Michael Clarke Duncan would have made a great Lothar.
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.