in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,782 books
 New: 187 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Where'd you get your ideas...?

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Where'd you get your ideas...?  (Read 1397 times)

crashryan

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
Where'd you get your ideas...?
« on: June 16, 2021, 06:45:33 AM »

I'm starting this thread to combine some ideas kicked around on the Poe, Holmes, and Jet Fury conversations. I've always been interested in the way story themes and plot points reappear, evolve, and intermingle over time. I think the adage "There is nothing new under the sun" is basically true. When you think of the countless trillions of words written in English alone you have to admit that a completely original story idea is almost impossible. New details will enter the idea stream from time to time. 19th century writers didn't know about microconductors or DNA. But most stories re-examine familiar characters, motivations, and plots through the author's (hopefully) unique lens. This doesn't seem to me a bad thing. Much delight comes from seeing the way an author synthesizes classic themes into a new work.

Popular fiction like movies, genre novels, and **COMICS** are particularly likely to revisit common themes. Readers are looking for an exciting, involving read featuring Good struggling with Evil and offering a ending both unexpected and satisfying. At the same time popular fiction is shaped by strong commercial forces. The publisher needs X pages of scripts every month to meet the print schedule. The writer needs to produce Y pages per month to meet the rent. The incentive to beg, borrow, and steal from other writers is strong. So is the urge to lean on cliches to reduce the time needed to finish a script.

I'm sure many of you have visited the TV Tropes site, where they attempt to catalogue every cliche, shtick, and stock situation to have appeared in popular media. Despite its snarky attitude the site is an endlessly fascinating look at what we've seen and what we expect to see. I thought of it last night while watching a 70s comedy adventure ending with a fight an a rooftop. The battered hero teeters at the roof's edge. The villain lunges at him--and doesn't go over the edge. The hero stops him with a fist. The villain collapses onto the roof unconscious and the hero calls the cops. I found myself feeling cheated. Everyone knows the lunging villain has to go over the edge!

In my college's library I discovered the 1928 book Plotto, the Master Book of all Plots by William Wallace Cook. This bizarre tool--no other description quite fits--was designed to partially mechanize the creation of plots for popular fiction. The author was a prolific pulp writer, so prolific that someone tagged him "the man who deforested Canada" from all the trees turned into paper for his stories. At that time popular fiction was a huge industry. Countless magazines hit the stands every week and most of them offered fiction. Cook knew the effort involved in constantly coming up with new stories. His intent was to ease the process a bit. His introduction aspires to lofty artistic goals. The reality is that Plotto-generated stories are mechanical and cliche ridden. They reflect the lowest common denominator of the trite stories hacked out by scribblers like Cook. Unsurprisingly they also reflect their era by being sexist and deeply racist. I wonder if some writers still use Plotto. One romance plot was a dead ringer for a recent Hallmark Channel rom com.
ip icon Logged

SuperScrounge

• VIP
message icon
Re: Where'd you get your ideas...?
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2021, 08:12:45 AM »

Ye Olde Idea Shop in Schenectedy.  ;)

It varies. Sometimes when watching/reading/listening to something I'll think of a different way to go with the story. Sometimes a name presents itself and I think about stories that could fit the title.

In truth ideas are easy, it's actually turning them into stories that's the hard part. On the discussion board for Amazing Adventures #4 we were talking about the possibility of a story of getting to chunks of an alien planetoid believed to be inside the Earth. Not necessarily a bad idea, but filled with problems. Then I had an idea that dealt with the problems that I thought interesting enough to try to turn into a story... and now I'm trying to figure out how to start it. The idea cows don't turn themselves into hamburger, ya gotta crank it out yourself.  ;)
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2021, 08:51:34 AM »

Despite writer's abilities to tweak plots, basically they are tweaking the same limited ideas.  In comics, despite the admiration for Lee an Kirby etc., The Avengers were not original, simply a tweak on the JSA and JLA. Much later, Mark Millar introduced a group of bad guys into Authority.  Not original, different villains, but versions of the Avengrrs.
There is a lot of copycatting in comics.  Captain Marvel - the real one - was used for copycat versions in British comics, and I don't mean the great Marvelman.  Mr. Apollo and Thunderbolt Jaxon spring to mind. Despite that, they are or were, entertaing for younger readers at the time. Still are for me.
Can we differentiate  between knock offs and creative efforts to make old plots or characters  look novel? 
ip icon Logged

Robb_K

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2021, 08:52:54 AM »

I'm starting this thread to combine some ideas kicked around on the Poe, Holmes, and Jet Fury conversations. I've always been interested in the way story themes and plot points reappear, evolve, and intermingle over time. I think the adage "There is nothing new under the sun" is basically true. When you think of the countless trillions of words written in English alone you have to admit that a completely original story idea is almost impossible. New details will enter the idea stream from time to time. 19th century writers didn't know about microconductors or DNA. But most stories re-examine familiar characters, motivations, and plots through the author's (hopefully) unique lens. This doesn't seem to me a bad thing. Much delight comes from seeing the way an author synthesizes classic themes into a new work.

In my college's library I discovered the 1928 book Plotto, the Master Book of all Plots by William Wallace Cook. This bizarre tool--no other description quite fits--was designed to partially mechanize the creation of plots for popular fiction.  The reality is that Plotto-generated stories are mechanical and cliche ridden. They reflect the lowest common denominator of the trite stories hacked out by scribblers like Cook. I wonder if some writers still use Plotto?   

This is very interesting to me, as a comic book story writer, and one who has worked on a comic strip, and was working on a book series (now paused).  I grew up reading Carl Barks, and otherwise, mostly 19th Century classics (in book form), such as Dickens, Poe, H.G. Wells, Arthur Conan Doyle, James Fennimore Cooper, Rudyard Kipling, Robert Louis Stevenson, etc. 

I take my own stories from happenings (experiences) in my own life, and memorable characters I've met, and the emotional situations, struggles, triumphs, failures, etc. that all people go through in their lives, because people have to identify with reality that they see in their own lives and experience.  Ive found that one has to write about what he or she knows, otherwise it will not ring true, and readers will see that, and reject it.  But, if one has a regular quota of magazine articles, short stories, or books per unit of time from their publishers, of course, there will be pressure to try to make the story creation and laying out process faster than searching one's soul for additional storylines with which readers will identify. 

For my comic book stories, I use, for the most part, the system Carl Barks used. I either start with a wild scene I'd like to see (and draw) as a memorable splash panel, and work backwards from that to a situation that would best fit a given character among the pantheon of lead characters available to me (Mostly those in The Disney Duck Universe), and then adapt it to him or her. Their normal way of reacting in a given situation would be worked back from having chosen a way to connect the character to the situation that leads to the climactic splash panel scene. OR, I may observe an interesting or suspenseful situation in real life that resulted in a funny result, and adapt that situation to the main known characteristics of my best fit lead characters. The use of coincidences that look like something else is going on than what is really happening that leads to gross misunderstandings and very funny outcomes, or tragic outcomes in which the lead character, who, due to a character defect or foible, did something very unwise, selfish, or just downright wrong, leads to him learning his lesson (or - leads to him NOT learning his lesson)- and the reader gets to make a judgement that might ring a bell with his or her experience in life (or just more experience in considering such matters, or insight into Human behaviour).

While under deadline pressure, and having a writer's block period, and needing to come up with new story ideas, I bought a book in 1994, titled: Plots Unlimited, by Tom Sawyer and Arthur David Weingarten, with related computer programme.

Book: https://www.amazon.com/Plots-Unlimited-Generating-Virtually-Limitless/dp/0962747602.

Software: http://www.ashleywilde.com/.

It was generated with the idea of having many different paths to branch out from the basic starting point of a plot, to unlimited ways the story line could turn.  And all of that had been programmed into a computer, and the results shown in boxes full of ALL next story scenarios in paths connected by arrows. They showed all (or, at least many) possible paths for each given story stage. At each stage in a generic story, there might be 6-7 different paths which can be take, and you can put together several of the most promising-looking paths, and compare their results, and chose the one you like best according to your needs of being interesting and likable to the reader. And this will also allow you to assure that your resulting story will not not be too much like your past stories, your company's other authors current stories, and the competing publishers stories. It is, basically, trying out an inexhaustible number of potential generic next turns in a story, at every potential turning point.  In that way, EVERY possible story involving people can be constructed.

As you al might have guessed I tried it out, but in the end found out I didn't need the books generic potential turns, and particular potential turns, and never used the book, per se.  But,it seems that the logical method of systematically thinking about several ways the story could go at each turn, and choosing the best few, and taking those few forward to see where they lead, and again comparing, and taking maybe the best two from there, and then, finally ending on one track, and seeing where it goes, was likely subliminally injected into my subconscious mind by osmosis, and has been a part of my own story development process ever since.

I think that starting with assessing what your needs are, and a vague idea of what you want as an end product, and then using logical thinking and a systematic process to move towards it is the best way to work in a time pressure situation.  In Denmark, for several years, I worked in a COOP studio, where several writers would brainstorm together, talking over story ideas.  We also gave feedback to each other on our story ideas.  Each writer would end up taking the story he or she had started, but all of them would be enriched from the feedback and injection of ideas from others.  I was also in a writers' group in Holland.  We'd rotate meetings at each of our houses or flats.  One can work from the start of the story towards its end, or the end back to the start, or the middle outward to both the start and the end.  None are necessarily better than the others.  Those comedy writing group sessions were a lot of fun.  Since the pandemic, I just get feedback from colleagues one at a time.  I suppose a group session is possible using meeting apps or programmes.

No, there is no story that has a new basic plot - only, possibly, an unusual specific chain of events, IF the chain is long enough to be a rather rare combination.  But the main thing is that to be successful, it would need to make the reader live in the story by identifying with one or more of the characters, recognising the same situations in life that he or she has experienced and sharing that emotion, or, at least identifying with it.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2021, 04:48:42 PM by Robb_K »
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2021, 09:04:18 AM »

Some of you will no doubt be aware of this one.
Lester Dent's Master plot formula
https://creativewriting.fandom.com/wiki/Lester_Dent_Master_Plot_Formula

Then there are the classic seven basic plots.
[Here expanded into 9]
The Seven...Actually Nine Basic Plots According to Christopher Booker
https://www.how-to-write-a-book-now.com/basic-plots.html

Then there are Frank Gruber's seven basic Western Plots
The Seven Western Plots
https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TheSevenWesternPlots

So a question for you - what would be
a/ the 7 basic Science Fiction plots ?
b/ the 7 basic Star Trek plots ?
c/ The 7 basic Dr Who plots ?
d/ the seven basic superhero plots?

Answers on the back of a postcard to CB+.

Cheers!   
ip icon Logged

Robb_K

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2021, 09:08:11 AM »

Ye Olde Idea Shop in Schenectedy.  ;)

It varies. Sometimes when watching/reading/listening to something I'll think of a different way to go with the story. Sometimes a name presents itself and I think about stories that could fit the title.

In truth ideas are easy, it's actually turning them into stories that's the hard part. On the discussion board for Amazing Adventures #4 we were talking about the possibility of a story of getting to chunks of an alien planetoid believed to be inside the Earth. Not necessarily a bad idea, but filled with problems. Then I had an idea that dealt with the problems that I thought interesting enough to try to turn into a story... and now I'm trying to figure out how to start it. The idea cows don't turn themselves into hamburger, ya gotta crank it out yourself.  ;)   

It is very true that it is a LOT harder to craft a good story out of a good idea (which are a dime a dozen). But When you are working for a publisher, writing stories about the same characters for many years, it may also be difficult to come up with new story ideas you or your colleagues haven't already used.  You have to add new twists, or take them into new directions somewhere along the story path, or put the story elements in different places and form new paths from there, in combinations that readers following those characters have not seen, and would not even imagine happening.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2021, 04:49:58 PM by Robb_K »
ip icon Logged

SuperScrounge

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2021, 01:09:42 AM »

The Avengers were not original, simply a tweak on the JSA and JLA.

They're all a ripoff of the Greek writers who created the Argonauts, man! The first superhero team!!!  ;)
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2021, 06:49:17 AM »

Rpbb said,
When you are working for a publisher for a publisher, writing stories about the same characters for many years, it may also be difficult to come up with new story ideas you or your colleagues haven't already used.  You have to add new twists, or take them into new directions somewhere along the story path, or put the story elements in different places and form new paths from there, in combinations that readers following those characters haven't seen, and wouldn't even imagine happening.

Thank you for that. Gives me a better understanding of goings-on with the Marvel and DC characters.  And the point of 'the multiverse' and the constant deaths and resurrections.
Marvel used to  boast that they didn't do imaginary tales, but they can do alternative universes instead.
I still have fond memories of the Curt Swan illustrated full-length imaginary Superman stories. 

Re Disney, I notice that some of the European Disney creators have not been shy about adding new characters and going into new directions with the Ducks and Mice.         
ip icon Logged

Robb_K

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2021, 05:13:41 PM »

Rpbb said,
When you are working for a publisher for a publisher, writing stories about the same characters for many years, it may also be difficult to come up with new story ideas you or your colleagues haven't already used.  You have to add new twists, or take them into new directions somewhere along the story path, or put the story elements in different places and form new paths from there, in combinations that readers following those characters haven't seen, and wouldn't even imagine happening.

Thank you for that. Gives me a better understanding of goings-on with the Marvel and DC characters.  And the point of 'the multiverse' and the constant deaths and resurrections.
Marvel used to  boast that they didn't do imaginary tales, but they can do alternative universes instead.
I still have fond memories of the Curt Swan illustrated full-length imaginary Superman stories. 

Re Disney, I notice that some of the European Disney creators have not been shy about adding new characters and going into new directions with the Ducks and Mice.   

I have been guilty of that, myself, inventing Lucky Gladstone Gander's super-unlucky twin brother, Sadstone Gander, who got ALL the unlucky genes when their tandem egg split into two parts to form two embryos.  Unfortunately, although the story passed through my own editor, the Chief Editor nixed the idea of a twin brother being thrown into The Duck Clan, after 65 years of the character's existence.  He allowed the story, but insisted we change Sadstone's relationship to Gladstone to identical cousin, which defies logic, and ruins the premise that spawned my idea to invent him, in the first place.

I also invented a past love life for Uncle Scrooge, in the form of Clementine Cadiddlehopper, Scrooge's fiancee (from his youth as a riverboat captain on The Mississippi River), as well as a ladyfriend for Gus Goose(her father owned a bakery), and a ladyfriend for Gyro Gearloose (she was also a brilliant (but eccentric) inventor).

Inventing new characters is a good way to expand the web of potential paths stories can take. Barks tradition, Disney Duck stories have been selling strongly Worldwide for over 70 years since Carl's Ducks Universe was fully formed around 1950. It would have been almost impossible to continue to try to write stories with innovative new plots, if we were not allowed to add new characters and settings that Barks hadn't used, as there are only so many types of generic scenarios dealing with interpersonal situations. Without that artistic freedom, storywriting would be boring, creativity would be grossly curtailed, or stopped completely, and our audience would disappear.  And then our series would die.
ip icon Logged
Comic Book Plus In-House Image

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2021, 12:09:40 AM »

inventing Lucky Gladstone Gander's super-unlucky twin brother, Sadstone Gander, who got ALL the unlucky genes 

I thought that was Donald.

Cheers!
ip icon Logged

Robb_K

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2021, 01:36:48 AM »

inventing Lucky Gladstone Gander's super-unlucky twin brother, Sadstone Gander, who got ALL the unlucky genes 

I thought that was Donald.
Cheers! 

EVERYONE ELSE, suffers from Gladstones good luck, if they spend any appreciable time near him.  Sadstone lives under a cloud of doom, just like Gladstone is ridiculously lucky.  That is the reason why Sadstone was so seldom seen in Duckburg.  He ran away from home as a young teen, to spare the rest of his family from the dangers from his bad luck when they were near him.  He went to live in a cave deep in the wilds of a high mountain. Huey, Dewey, and Louie found out about him, and went to go find him.  They brought him back to Duckburg.  And now, weird things can happen when the 2 brothers get together.  I plan to bring him back in a sequel story reasonably soon.
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2021, 01:41:03 AM »

I often get ideas from a picture. I have started a series of mash-ups recently. I put a scifi character in a western setting. I have called the series MONSTER OUTLAWS OF THE WEST.  Those mash-ups can inspire ideas and I have written one full story. I also have a start to how it all began started. My stories are all about trying to figure out a "logical" means of defeating the monster and avoid using coincidence as much as possible.
ip icon Logged

Robb_K

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2021, 08:14:58 AM »

This was a super thread idea!  It is a doggone shame that we ended up with so few responses, especially given that there are bound to be lots more comic book story writers on this forum, as well as lots more comic book story writer wannabees.  So, I'm kicking this thread back up to the top, hoping some new and old members, who didn't see it before, will see it now, and respond to it.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2023, 08:13:47 AM by Robb_K »
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2021, 07:16:29 PM »

Here's the joke I heard...

There are only 3 basic plots.

1 - A man goes on a journey.

2 - A stranger comes to town.

3 - Godzilla vs. Megashark.

;D
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2021, 07:28:32 PM »

That last one's not a joke, It's a massacre as Godzilla has fried shark for dinner ;D
ip icon Logged

Robb_K

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2021, 09:48:50 PM »

;D

NONSENSE!   There are a MILLION different stories in The Naked City and THIS is only ONE of them!!!
ip icon Logged

Captain Audio

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2021, 10:01:01 AM »

;D

NONSENSE!   There are a MILLION different stories in The Naked City and THIS is only ONE of them!!!

My own ideas for a couple of modern sci fi channel productions are "Polar Vortex Bearnami" where subsea earthquakes break up the north pole sea ice sending thousands of starving polar bears riding ice floes like surf boards through New York city.

The other is "Grizalanche" where massive landslides carry thousands of hungry Grizzly Bears carrening down mountainsides into Alaskan towns. Opening scene would be a huge ball of intertwined Grizzlys rolling through a homecoming parade leaving a debris field of gnawed human bones in its path.
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2021, 11:46:05 PM »

"Where'd you get your ideas...?"

Well, one night, talking on the phone with my best friend, he asked me a question:

"What would happen if The Gun! met Michael Myers?"

In an instant, I told him, it would be the end of the HALLOWEEN series.  But it took a whole year to conceive, research, plan, and write the 5-part story.  (Of course, I changed all the names that weren't my own characters to start with.)  I did it in "full-script" format, meaning, it could (theoretically) be turned into a comic-book... or feature film.  But it wouldn't work to publish it as-is.  I'm hoping one day to re-write it "short story" or "novel" format.
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2021, 02:14:24 AM »

What would be the 'Mystery Thriller' basic plots. Here are some starters to think about.

1/Doyle/Holmes - very few murders in Holmes Stories. The accent is on detection, so some one comes to Holmes with a mystery and he is intrigued and finds a solution. When he's uninterested he won't take the case.

2/Agatha Christie - A murder occurs, there are a number of people who are likely suspects,[usually upper class]  other murders often occur, at the end the sleuth assembles everyone still living and explains what actually happens and whodunit.
3/ The PI story. A mixture.
Marlowe - story starts with a client - often the story the client gives is false, so the PI digs up the dirt involved - nearly everybody has some dirt. The world is 50 shades of grey.
Spade - He works for the organization, is a professional , is given an assignment, can call on others to help him, uses his knowledge of the underworld to finish the assignment. Often about solving a robbery, recovering stolen goods. It's just a job, the world doesn't change.
4 /The Wildcard cop - Robichaux -  Tries to work with-in legal constrains, but at times it is necessary to take things into his own hands. The department constantly threatens to fire him, but never does. He has a partner who backs him up who is even more of a wild card. Everybody who is socially or economically somebody has something major to hide. Often for generations. Always a loner.
5/ The Vigilantes - Four Just Men, the Destroyer, Batman - operated outside the law to bring justice to those who the law can't touch. Usually they are rich or upper class and connected so they have the resources. 
6/ The Robin Hood - The Saint, The Lone Wolf. The Equalizer. Again, usually rich or with access to resources. Rights wrongs, scourge of the police tho.

Cheers!

ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission and Disclaimer: The mission of Comic Book Plus is to present completely free of charge, and to the widest possible audience, popular cultural works of the past. These records are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They are historical documents reflecting the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We at Comic Book Plus do not endorse the views expressed in these, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

We aim to house only content in the Public Domain. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, then please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further.