in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,818 books
 New: 193 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

I'm banned from the religious discussion, right?

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: I'm banned from the religious discussion, right?  (Read 3485 times)

BobS

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: BobS
message icon
« on: May 02, 2010, 03:37:16 PM »

Bob
ip icon Logged

boox909

• VIP
message icon
Re: I'm banned from the religious discussion, right?
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2010, 03:50:26 PM »

Bob

No one was banned. That thread was deleted. This is afterall, a comic book based forum. The concern was that said thread was going in places that do not actually concern a comic book based forum, considering the many forums on the net for the type of conversation that was beginning to occur. Thus, the thread was deleted and there is no expectation that it will reappear.

B.
ip icon Logged

BobS

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2010, 05:53:25 PM »

Bob

No one was banned. That thread was deleted. This is afterall, a comic book based forum. The concern was that said thread was going in places that do not actually concern a comic book based forum, considering the many forums on the net for the type of conversation that was beginning to occur. Thus, the thread was deleted and there is no expectation that it will reappear.

B.

Thanks for the explanation. I usually don't receive any explanation.
And I don't mind if you continue the thread with me banned.

This whole General Discussion isn't comics-related, by the way.
ip icon Logged

boox909

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2010, 06:13:31 PM »

This whole General Discussion isn't comics-related, by the way.

Which makes it a courtesy section, by the way.

B.
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2010, 06:56:17 PM »

Bob we have established a rep as being one of the friendliest and least controversial forums on the net. We would love to keep it that way. Religious discussions in general are not conducive to that.
ip icon Logged

BobS

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2010, 10:47:36 PM »

Bob we have established a rep as being one of the friendliest and least controversial forums on the net. We would love to keep it that way. Religious discussions in general are not conducive to that.

You're right, and I would prefer friendly.

Religious convicts (conviction created convicts") generally can't take but so much slaughtering of their sacred cows.
(I work with a bunch of Hindus.)
I'm TEASING (making light) now by the way.
(I worship the sacred chao.)
(I'm also a Bokononist - have you read Kurt Vonnegut's Cat's Cradle?  As a Bokononist I like to play footsie with gurls, and I fervently believe "Live by the foma that make you brave and kind and healthy and happy." I am a convict re that tenet of Bokononism. But my wife won't let me play footsie with gurls anymore.)

Politics and economic systems are the other 2 big areas of human contention and controversy.

Some of my Hamilton ancestors living in the Elkins, WV (formerly VA) area, fought on the Union side of the Civil War.
On the Stump side, my father's father's father's father (of Floyd Co., VA) fought for the Confederacy until he got shot in the hand.
Then, he apparently regained his senses and returned home (AWOL or not I don't know) and returned to farming.

I am still curious as to your church denomination (but don't want to argue religion anymore) and your specific beefs with the US govt. (I don' want to argue politics either.)
I know nobody likes taxes, and I may agree with you re the govt. bailouts of big business -- I was and am against it.
I'd guess you're also against the anti-religion slant of US govt., and if so, I agree. US was built on Freedom of Religion, NOT suppression of religious expression.

Sorry I blasted you in private email. I actually LIKE YOU, until we get arguing religion and politics.

Peace,
Bob
ip icon Logged
Comic Book Plus In-House Image

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2010, 02:04:19 AM »

It looks like we agree in many areas. Freedom OF religion not FROM religion
ip icon Logged

Captain Audio

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2010, 04:50:23 PM »

As long as Oscar Wilde's theory on scripture isn't promoted as fact I don't mind.
Misrepresentation of scripture has been the root cause of most religion based conflict as is.
ip icon Logged

JonTheScanner

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2010, 05:55:47 PM »

It looks like we agree in many areas. Freedom OF religion not FROM religion

Freedom OF religion must include freedom FROM (others') religion or it's not really freedom.
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2010, 06:02:58 PM »

This one has to stop or could get really heated
ip icon Logged

Captain Audio

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2010, 06:14:54 PM »

One is free to not believe but they can't extend their disbelief into preventing believers from speaking freely of their religious beliefs in public.

Internet Forums are not public places, the site owner or his agents have the right to deny discussion of any subject because the forum is not a public place.

Its a matter of opinions vs deeds, one can believe he has a right to sacrifice goats on a public park bench and proclaim his belief, but until he actually does start cutting up goats the law can't touch him.

It doesn't have to so long as we are discussing freedom of speach as it relates to religion and other controversial subjects rather than the beliefs themselves.
ip icon Logged

boox909

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2010, 06:48:42 PM »

It doesn't have to so long as we are discussing freedom of speach as it relates to religion and other controversial subjects rather than the beliefs themselves.

Actually, you have been pretty reasonable about this -- and while I abhor discussing religion or politics in a comic book based forum, I do appreciate your sanity and the way that you have represented yourself.

B.

PS: And that's about all I have to say about this.  ;D
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2010, 09:14:59 PM »

It would be the political debate over freedom OF and FROM that could be problematic

ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.