in house dollar bill thumbnail
In-House Image
 Total: 42,782 books
 New: 194 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

A British Wertham style assault on comics.

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: A British Wertham style assault on comics.  (Read 754 times)

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
A British Wertham style assault on comics.
« on: September 26, 2021, 03:06:51 PM »

April 1952 saw the publication of a pamphlet published by The International Women's Day Committee priced at 3d. The pamphlet contained a sustained attack on comics, mainly British reprints of American comics. which according to the author(s) ".......the poison is streaming over here, to pollute the minds of British children".
Down The Tubes features the assault here:-
https://downthetubes.net/?p=23475
I've downloaded the pages, slightly adjusted them and made a .cbz file which I'll upload to the "Odds & Ends" section, and I'll post a link. 
There is also a "secret" document for the cabinet from 1954 on the Down The Tubes page which makes for interesting reading.  All comments welcomed.
A slightly improved scan of the booklet is on site here:-
https://comicbookplus.com/?dlid=79287
« Last Edit: September 26, 2021, 04:53:38 PM by paw broon »
ip icon Logged

neil meikle

• VIP
message icon
Re: A British Wertham style assault on comics.
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2021, 07:37:15 PM »

Thanks for posting this Paw a most interesting piece indeed.                                                                         
      At the risk of corrupting everybody the two books mentioned in it are Manhunt 03 and A1 Comics 013 Guns of Fact and fiction.                                                                                                                                       
        Perhaps this is the wrong thread to  suggest it but how about having the reading group compare both the books with the attack on them? It's just an idea.                                                                               
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2021, 11:08:57 PM »

Good Idea Neil!
I have sent you a PM - Personal Message - on this.
Look a the narrow yellow tabs above next your Avatar image. On 'My Messages' you will see (1) Click on it.

Cheers!   

ip icon Logged

neil meikle

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2021, 10:28:08 AM »

I've replied to it Eric
ip icon Logged

Robb_K

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2021, 08:37:15 AM »

Thanks for posting this Paw a most interesting piece indeed.                                                                         
      At the risk of corrupting everybody the two books mentioned in it are Manhunt 03 and A1 Comics 013 Guns of Fact and fiction.                                                                                                                                       
        Perhaps this is the wrong thread to  suggest it but how about having the reading group compare both the books with the attack on them? It's just an idea.                                                                         

Hi Neil,
I very much like your idea of comparing those 2 books to "The Exhibition" 's attack on them.  So, as the designated chooser for this fortnight's reading material, I chose those 2 books to be reviewed and compared to the complaints made against them.  I look forward to reading lots of interesting opinions on that topic.
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission and Disclaimer: The mission of Comic Book Plus is to present completely free of charge, and to the widest possible audience, popular cultural works of the past. These records are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They are historical documents reflecting the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We at Comic Book Plus do not endorse the views expressed in these, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

We aim to house only content in the Public Domain. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, then please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further.