in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,806 books
 New: 184 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Black Terror Reading Order?

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Black Terror Reading Order?  (Read 748 times)

eternalsage

message icon
Black Terror Reading Order?
« on: November 18, 2021, 12:39:39 AM »

So, I am a long time comic fan (since the late 80s) who has dabbled with the golden age before (mostly the reprints of the big names from DC and Marvel) but I recently fell in love with Project Superpowers. I know that this series is not well liked around here, but it was my introduction to the idea that these characters even exist (much like Valliant was my into to Solar, Magnus, and Turok). I understand that the characters won't be the same (they explain that in Project Superpowers itself, tbh) but I am curious about checking these characters out in their native element.

So, I know that continuity is relatively minimal in GA books (or at least that is my understanding, please correct as needed :D) and even the self-titled "Black Terror" is not actually a solo book but another anthology. I'm really not sure how I'm going to feel about this tiny snippets of stories, as I already feel that one issue is not enough to tell a story with any depth, but we'll see.

Anyway, if there a preferred reading order? or should I just dive in somewhere and see where it takes me? Is there a list of quintessential Black Terror stories to read through first? Or stories to avoid? Thanks for any guidance. This is  just my starting point, and I look to get into to other characters too, as I go, but I figured I would start with my favorite character from PS.

Thanks all!
ip icon Logged

crashryan

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
Re: Black Terror Reading Order?
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2021, 01:37:29 AM »

To my mind, the Black Terror stories varied little over time, with the exception of course the switch from wartime themes to crime themes after World War II ended. However as an art fan, my favorites Terror episodes are the ones drawn by Mort Meskin and Jerry Robinson in the late 40s. They had it all: dramatic lighting, great characters, strong action and good backgrounds. Their stuff starts appearing in Standard's issue #23. The lead story in #24, "Lady Serpent Returns," is a nice example of their work.
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2021, 02:12:04 AM »

one remake I had forgotten about - When Roy Thomas was writing Infinity Inc for DC he created a character he called Mr Bones.

Mister Bones (Robert Todd) is a fictional character in the DC Comics Universe, created by Roy Thomas, Dann Thomas, and Todd McFarlane, in Infinity, Inc. #16 (July 1985). A former low-level supervillain, he reformed and joined the Infinity Inc. team, then later the (fictional) Department of Extranormal Operations (a government agency which regulates superhero activity) as a bureaucrat, eventually rising to the rank of Regional Director for the Eastern Seaboard. Thus, he now wears a suit and tie instead of a costume, and is also known as Director Bones. A chain-smoker, he had a habit of speaking in rhyme in early appearances; however, he no longer does so.

I was looking at some Infinity inc earlier this week and the costume he wore then? The Black Terror to a tee.

The character in his present guise is a current player in the comic DCU and also I understand, in the TV Stargirl. (Which I haven't yet seen)
Cheers.     
ip icon Logged

eternalsage

message icon
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2021, 03:35:07 AM »

Yea, Todd McFarlane was the artist on that one. I remember him saying in an interview somewhere that it was based on an old character, but the name didn't stick with me at the time because I had never heard of them before. (I don't know if McFarlane had any hand in the character's creation, and he didn't claim any in that interview, but he did mention the costume).
ip icon Logged

SuperScrounge

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2021, 08:18:22 AM »

Mr. Bones appeared in the last five minutes of the last episode of the second season of Stargirl. So presumably he'll be in the third season. Not sure if they've started filming that or not.

Aside from swiping the costume, I don't think he qualifies as a Black Terror remake.
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2021, 10:48:54 AM »

As a Black Terror fan, I think crash is bang on about the quality of art on the later stories.  But by that point The Terror has lost his super powers, in the sense that the writers seemed to have forgotten about them. Go to the early, dafter stories for a look at the super powered version. Forsuch a powerful character a skelp on the nut always lays him out.
Older fans grew up with shorter stories so we're used to them.  I sometimes find more modern, strung out stories annoying and boring.   Not all, before anyone takes me to task. 
Read Black Terror, enjoy life. And all the other fun GA heroes.  So speaks a superhero fan.
ip icon Logged

gregjh

message icon
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2021, 12:21:21 PM »

Welcome! Don't worry about different opinions on any particular series. It would be dull if we all had exactly the same tastes!
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission and Disclaimer: The mission of Comic Book Plus is to present completely free of charge, and to the widest possible audience, popular cultural works of the past. These records are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They are historical documents reflecting the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We at Comic Book Plus do not endorse the views expressed in these, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

We aim to house only content in the Public Domain. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, then please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further.