in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,820 books
 New: 187 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Are Canadian Whites copyright free?

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Are Canadian Whites copyright free?  (Read 4032 times)

LauraNH

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: LauraNH
message icon
Are Canadian Whites copyright free?
« on: May 26, 2010, 03:44:32 AM »

Hello, as far as I am aware, the owners of Nelvana animation studio bought the copyrights of these comics in the 1970s. A recent phone call with the company confirmed that they own the rights to most of the Canadian golden age comics, including Triumph. They so far do not have a full list of the comics that are eligible (as they co-own the rights with the Archives), but are working on it.
That said, should there be Canadian Golden Age comic scans posted here? I know that Nelvana hasn't been very strict on enforcing, for example, they've never said anything about the Mister Monster comic book, which was a remake of a Triumph character, or on the Johnny Canuck burlesque show...

I'm not familiar with copyright law, so I don't know how it works, but I do believe Canada has different laws regarding this than the US, so these might not be public domain..any ideas?

I have all of the Triumph issues, and was going to start uploading them here, but I would like to confirm that it's ok first
ip icon Logged

Janus Wolf

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
Re: Are Canadian Whites copyright free?
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2010, 04:22:38 AM »

If someone can give me their contact information (I am in Toronto, Canada) I can email or call them directly. I prefer to call. Either way is fine.

cheers,

Janus
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2010, 11:57:51 AM »

Wow Laura that would be great. Sounds like the company may even give permission. You could start uploading them and we will put them aside off site until we find out if they are OK
ip icon Logged

Roygbiv666

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2012, 12:03:09 AM »

Was this ever resolved satisfactorily? Is Nelvana PD?
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2012, 03:05:03 AM »

Not heard anything
Nelvana is trademarked but I believe some of her stories were PD
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.