in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,806 books
 New: 184 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Top Notch Comics OR Top-Notch Comics?

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Top Notch Comics OR Top-Notch Comics?  (Read 850 times)

FraBig

message icon
Top Notch Comics OR Top-Notch Comics?
« on: December 01, 2021, 02:01:05 PM »

I'm making a compilation about an MLJ character (no spoilers  ;) ;)), but I don't know how to write "Top Notch Comics" in the index.
The Grand Comics Database lists the series without the hyphen, but this site says the series is written "Top-Notch Comics". The covers clearly show an hyphen, so I don't how to write it, does any of you know what's the correct spelling?
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
Re: Top Notch Comics OR Top-Notch Comics?
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2021, 02:43:11 PM »

I prefer to go with the indicia which has no hyphen.
ip icon Logged

FraBig

message icon
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2021, 02:53:27 PM »

Yes I tend to stick to what the Grand Comics Database says too, but my doubt is mainly based on the fact that all the covers of the series clearly show an hyphen... shouldn't that have the priority over the Database?
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2021, 03:39:37 PM »

Actually I don't tend to to stick to what GCD has as there are errors and omissions, but that's a personal problem I have with the site.
The indicia is the legal bit of a publication, I  think, and so I suppose that whatever title is shown in it is the legal one.
I'm now curious to read what some of the others think.  DCM goes with the hyphen. Overstreet goes with the hyphen. So I think I'm wrong. :-[
I'm not much help, am I ? ;)
ip icon Logged

Robb_K

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2021, 06:27:54 PM »

I'd go with a comic book series title shown most commonly on the book covers.  The Indicia show the legal title of a series.  But the popular title used by the readers and fans would be more accurate in referring to a series, as the legal definition often deviates from what was actually on the books, and completely unrelated series titles can differ from the series in question by something so small as using a dash between a two-word title.  In such cases, in which the two unrelated series would otherwise be indistinguishable, they would be confused, and taken for each other.  That possibility is why I would always use what is most commonly written on the issues covers rather than the indicia (as that is what most readers and fans know as the series title).

And yes, GCD always has many uncorrected errors remaining on its database at any given time, and so, cannot be trusted as the ultimate authority in every case.
ip icon Logged

FraBig

message icon
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2021, 07:31:48 PM »

Ohh now I see... I didn't know that the legal name was listed in the indicia...

Btw thank you all guys for your precious help!

I'll probably use the legal name, but I need to think about that. I'll upload the compilation soon.

Thanks again!
ip icon Logged

SuperScrounge

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2021, 12:26:45 AM »

You could also mention the name discrepancy in an introduction and then just use your personal preference.
ip icon Logged

FraBig

message icon
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2021, 11:56:05 AM »

Mh that's actually a good idea, but I'd like to keep the format I've followed since now, not adding any other stuff apart from the cover of the compilation and the index.

Thanks nevertheless!
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission and Disclaimer: The mission of Comic Book Plus is to present completely free of charge, and to the widest possible audience, popular cultural works of the past. These records are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They are historical documents reflecting the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We at Comic Book Plus do not endorse the views expressed in these, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

We aim to house only content in the Public Domain. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, then please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further.