in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,782 books
 New: 187 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Outlaws of the West: great western comic

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Outlaws of the West: great western comic  (Read 493 times)

gregjh

message icon
Outlaws of the West: great western comic
« on: January 03, 2022, 04:10:20 AM »

https://comicbookplus.com/?dlid=18036
Well, I love a good western comic and after finishing most of the Ghost Rider series, the hunt was on for a new series on CB+ for me to enjoy. I gave Wyatt Earp Frontier Marshall a try but somehow I couldn't get into the scripting.
Next try was Outlaws of the West, and I must say I, ahem, struck gold.

There are several things I like about this comic. The cover, for one thing, is great and the lighting on the villain's face wouldn't be out of place on a modern DC graphic novel. The advertisements inside are unusual and interesting: was there really a company that allowed customers to pay them back after they resold the goods they had been sent? The stories are strong and unpredictable. My favourite is the first one with a Indian "villain". The writer could easily have stuck to the tired formula and tropes but instead managed to make observations about prejudice and the affects of childhood trauma into a short story. The other stories are also a cut above the average and I got the feeling the writer really wanted to provide something more than wild west tales of years past. My only concern for the next edition is whether the writers will attempt to put a swerve or twist on every story as they did in this edition. There's a risk of diminished returns there.
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission and Disclaimer: The mission of Comic Book Plus is to present completely free of charge, and to the widest possible audience, popular cultural works of the past. These records are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They are historical documents reflecting the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We at Comic Book Plus do not endorse the views expressed in these, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

We aim to house only content in the Public Domain. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, then please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further.