in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,806 books
 New: 184 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Alley Oop comic strip qeastion

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Alley Oop comic strip qeastion  (Read 792 times)

happyhuman

• VIP
message icon
Alley Oop comic strip qeastion
« on: January 06, 2022, 04:30:20 PM »

Hello, I like the Alley Oop comics and comic strip, it was due to this website that I leared about them. but I was wondering, aren't they still under copyright?

What I mean is, IF I understand correctly, the comic was first printed in newspapers and later was reprinted in comics, so even if the comics are in the public domain the strips/comics themselves are not, right? or I don't understand correctlly?

I'm possitive that the operators of this site knows what they are doing, I'm just intrested on this matter, if you know the asnswer I thank you in advance if you could  share it, thank you.

ip icon Logged

Robb_K

• VIP
message icon
Re: Alley Oop comic strip qeastion
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2022, 05:27:14 AM »

Hello, I like the Alley Oop comics and comic strip, it was due to this website that I learned about them. but I was wondering, aren't they still under copyright?

What I mean is, IF I understand correctly, the comic was first printed in newspapers and later was reprinted in comics, so even if the comics are in the public domain the strips/comics themselves are not, right? or I don't understand correctly?

I'm positive that the operators of this site knows what they are doing, I'm just interested on this matter, if you know the answer I thank you in advance if you could  share it, thank you.

I am shocked that none of our members has attempted to answer your question.  The copyright laws of The United States of America are complicated, and it is often difficult to determine which comic books' different stories and features' rights are still in the hands of private entities, rather than The Public Domain.  I am no expert on this matter, which is why I have not answered your question to this point.  I would have guessed that the rights to such a popular newspaper strip's production would have been renewed all along throughout the 50 year renewal period.  I would have guessed that the very earliest years of the strip will soon be within the Public Domain, but, I am not sure.  I see that The Argo Comics 1950s comic book format collected reprints must be within The Public Domain, as they are available for public view on our website.  Unfortunately, we have only 2 books from that series, and they are not consecutive (#1 and 3).

Here is a link to those books:  https://comicbookplus.com/?cid=2714
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission and Disclaimer: The mission of Comic Book Plus is to present completely free of charge, and to the widest possible audience, popular cultural works of the past. These records are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They are historical documents reflecting the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We at Comic Book Plus do not endorse the views expressed in these, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

We aim to house only content in the Public Domain. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, then please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further.