in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,820 books
 New: 187 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Advertisements and Tobacco

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Advertisements and Tobacco  (Read 2124 times)

MarkWarner

• Administrator
message icon
Advertisements and Tobacco
« on: May 31, 2010, 07:46:01 AM »

Hi,

I have put a few more advertisements on my site

http://furycomics.com/a/comics/viewer/11/Selected_Products/

Some are gloriously suspect, eg: the telescope being used to view a beach babe, and the exploding hand grenade might not be so appreciated post 9/11!

One thing is that there are NO advertisements for tobacco. There are ads for lighters, ash trays etc but none for cigarettes. Does anyone know the reason for this? (I am based in England so if this is a stupid question I apologize)

Regards,

Mark

ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
Re: Advertisements and Tobacco
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2010, 11:32:09 AM »

Tobacco was widely advertises everywhere in the US up into the 80's and has continued in magazines. Since comics were so widely read by adults up until after the code I do not know why tobacco was not advertised in them. BTW the things like Davey Crocket tent were like large plastic bags with design on them that instructed to put them over a couple chairs.
ip icon Logged

MarkWarner

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2010, 12:03:27 PM »

Pretty much the same here, bit by bit tobacco advertising has disappeared in the last 20/30 years, and there are moves to actually remove it completely from display. But 1970 and before it was everywhere which is why I found it peculiar that not once have I seen a cigarette or cigar advertisement in the comics I have downloaded.

Thanks for the info about the Davy Crocket tent .... I think it would be really cool to build up a collection of things advertised

Mark
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2010, 03:18:16 PM »

A few years ago someone tried to resurrect the Helen Of Toy company that produced all those tents and life size cardboard tanks and plastic toy soldiers. He had all their adds on his site and made and sold copies of their 100 soldiers in a footlocker. Unfortunately they had to be priced too high. You may want to include those toy soldier ads they were neat. BTW I actually bought the "exploding" tanks. They were halves held together by rubber bands. If you pushed them in the middle they snapped apart "exploded"
ip icon Logged

boox909

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2010, 03:50:58 PM »

I loved those crazy ads!  ;D ;D ;D
ip icon Logged

MarkWarner

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2010, 09:22:38 AM »

So the exploding grenade that could be heard a block away was actually powered by rubber bands ... :)

ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2010, 11:25:36 AM »

Don't know about the grenade. My brother got the "curve" ball. I was a hollow rubber ball with a weight inside that caused it to go wobbly. Here is an ad you might like from Toby's Billy the Kid 7.

ip icon Logged

MarkWarner

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2010, 07:33:31 PM »

Ok ... that's great have saved it, will be a month or so before I put up a new version of the site but it's there ready.

Have just started working on a public domain "shorts" site

Sorry I misunderstood I thought you were talking about the exploding grenade that could be heard "a block away" ... but that probably was elastic bands as well :)

Regards and thanks

Mark
ip icon Logged

Captain Audio

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2010, 03:16:53 AM »

Ok ... that's great have saved it, will be a month or so before I put up a new version of the site but it's there ready.

Have just started working on a public domain "shorts" site

Sorry I misunderstood I thought you were talking about the exploding grenade that could be heard "a block away" ... but that probably was elastic bands as well :)

Regards and thanks

Mark

Since the ad says steel it may have been an actual surplus practice grenade, these had the same fuze as the real grenade and a thick cast iron body that held a small noisemaker charge similar to the old M-80 firecracker.

I had a plastic grenade that used a regular stick on greenie cap, not that loud.
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2010, 02:20:46 PM »

I remember those grenades. Had to hit the end to make the cap pop
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.