in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,806 books
 New: 184 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

dennis the menace upside down

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: dennis the menace upside down  (Read 1253 times)

vdhinesh79

message icon
dennis the menace upside down
« on: February 03, 2022, 01:08:27 PM »

published by bunny books ,is this a rare comics?
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
Re: dennis the menace upside down
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2022, 01:52:54 PM »

No idea, but I doubt it.  Anyway, that's the pretender, the real Dennis The Menace is this one:-
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/f0/61/aa/f061aaf4a97450276e81a8c16ed5cd6a.jpg
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
ip icon Logged

crashryan

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2022, 08:19:45 PM »

I don't know how many Dennis the Menace paperbacks were published, so I don't know how "rare" they are, but they don't have much interest to collectors. On ebay they typically sell for a dollar or so.
ip icon Logged

Captain Audio

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2022, 10:28:06 PM »

I don't know how many Dennis the Menace paperbacks were published, so I don't know how "rare" they are, but they don't have much interest to collectors. On ebay they typically sell for a dollar or so.

Not surprising considering the nasty revelations about the TV child star who played Dennis. Usually sex crime allegations against child actors are for actions taken years after they grew up. Lil Dennis on the otherhand was a natural born perv.
ip icon Logged

vdhinesh79

message icon
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2022, 04:37:21 AM »

Check heritage auctions site
ip icon Logged
Comic Book Plus In-House Image

Robb_K

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2022, 09:53:12 PM »

Check heritage auctions site

They sell for so little money (giveaway prices) , that I doubt that HA would even handle them, other than, possibly, a stamped editor's copy, especially given that the art inside them is just reprints of the newspaper strip.  So, even plates for these reprint books are probably not collectors' items.
ip icon Logged

misappear

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2022, 03:11:14 PM »

Do I have my facts right on this?  It seems both versions of Dennis appeared, for the first time, on March 12, 1951?
ip icon Logged

Robb_K

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2022, 04:53:40 PM »

Do I have my facts right on this?  It seems both versions of Dennis appeared, for the first time, on March 12, 1951?

The UK version first appeared in Beano Magazine on March 12th, 1951.  I have read in a few places that The US strip, by Hank Ketchum, appeared first three days later, on March 15th, 1951.  But Wikipedia states that Ketcham's US strip debuted in 16 US newspapers on March 12th, 1951.  The two strips are nothing like each other, and there was no Internet at that time, and most people in the two countries had little knowledge of the newspaper comic strips in the other country.  Either way, it is an unbelievable coincidence, as the two authors seemingly had no knowledge that the other had created a similarly-named character at almost the same time.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2022, 04:59:56 PM by Robb_K »
ip icon Logged

SuperScrounge

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2022, 11:35:41 PM »

Given that Dennis & menace rhyme, two comics coming up with the same name is not that hard to believe.

Ketcham's story is that his then wife yelled at him, "Your son is a menace!" & he thought, "Dennis a menace?" & realized the words rhymed and titled his new comic Dennis the Menace.

Not sure if the British author ever explained how he came up with his title, but the rhyming words were probably a part of it..
ip icon Logged

Robb_K

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2022, 04:34:55 PM »

Given that Dennis & menace rhyme, two comics coming up with the same name is not that hard to believe.

Ketcham's story is that his then wife yelled at him, "Your son is a menace!" & he thought, "Dennis a menace?" & realized the words rhymed and titled his new comic Dennis the Menace.

Not sure if the British author ever explained how he came up with his title, but the rhyming words were probably a part of it..

Yes, but two cartoonists coming up with the same names, for the first time in that industry not only in the same decade, but the same year, and same month, and having their character's debut in a publication on the very same day is an almost impossible coincidence.  For that to happen randomly, the odds against that are astronomical.  And yet, if one or the other somehow found out the other was using that name and planning a new newspaper or magazine comic strip, and it inspired that cartoonist to "steal" that name, and try to make it appear that HE used it first, would have been a mistaken stratagem, and a much more dangerous and perhaps unfruitful pursuit than just finding himself another clever character name with less danger and potential problems attached.  It makes no sense. It just proves that ALL results are possible in randomness, despite the odds against some making them almost (but not quite) impossible.
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2022, 04:50:29 PM »

ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission and Disclaimer: The mission of Comic Book Plus is to present completely free of charge, and to the widest possible audience, popular cultural works of the past. These records are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They are historical documents reflecting the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We at Comic Book Plus do not endorse the views expressed in these, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

We aim to house only content in the Public Domain. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, then please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further.