in house dollar bill thumbnail
In-House Image
 Total: 42,782 books
 New: 187 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Gold Key Comics is alive

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Gold Key Comics is alive  (Read 642 times)

gregjh

message icon
Gold Key Comics is alive
« on: May 07, 2022, 04:59:58 AM »

So this was intially going to be a post in my Fizzfop Reading Corner thread. The latest video from Fizzfop features a bunch of characters from Gold Key that I had never heard of, such as Dagar, Robot Fighter, Solar Man and Doctor Spektor. A quick search of this here beloved site revealed zero results except for a different character also named Dagar, but not the Dagar who looks like the love child of He-Man and Tarzan.

So the next step was Duckduckgo (not Google!) and low and behold, Gold Key comics is back with its own website and Facebook page. Sadly some of their iconic characters are still licensed elsewhere but let's home some of them "come home".

And on a tangent, Fizzfop made a good point that the era of the superhero in movies seems to be getting a little stale. Could it be that the Golden Key type of comic character is ready to return, not only to comics but to the big screen?
ip icon Logged

SuperScrounge

• VIP
message icon
Re: Gold Key Comics is alive
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2022, 05:14:51 AM »

Dagar and Doctor Spektor were Don Glut characters, also Tragg & the Sky Gods.
ip icon Logged

SuperScrounge

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2022, 05:24:42 AM »

Looked up the new Gold Key (goldkeycomics.com) it seems to be people who bought whatever trademarks were still owned to the name, but their submissions are for all new creations, not any of the old Gold Key characters.

Seems like they just want to make money of of creators who don't want to take a chance on self-publishing. *shrug*
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2022, 06:08:18 AM »

it seems to be people who bought whatever trademarks were still owned to the name, but their submissions are for all new creations, not any of the old Gold Key characters. 

Jim Shooter licensed Dr Solar, Turok and Magnus for the first and second [ACCLAIM]iteration of Valiant comics.
I think he used some of them again for his next short-lived company.
Next DYNAMITE used them plus most of the other characters Greg mentioned.
I doubt they own the copyright to any of the characters otherwise, why not use images of them on the home page? Looks like they found out [or presumed] that Gold Key was again available as the name for a comic company and thought they could set up a comic company for nothing by using submissions from independent creators. Good luck with that.
Seems like they just want to make money of of creators who don't want to take a chance on self-publishing. *shrug*

exactly!

ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2022, 03:42:00 PM »

gregjh's post caused a flutter of excitement and I immediately went down the same road only to find sfa on their site.  No comics, just requests for submissions.  What a disappointment.  Especially when we think of the great work from inDELLible and Roy's work with Standard Comics. 
Actually, the GK project might come to nothing. But I am curious to see what transpires.
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission and Disclaimer: The mission of Comic Book Plus is to present completely free of charge, and to the widest possible audience, popular cultural works of the past. These records are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They are historical documents reflecting the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We at Comic Book Plus do not endorse the views expressed in these, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

We aim to house only content in the Public Domain. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, then please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further.