in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,813 books
 New: 194 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Re: 005 - The Lost City Collection (Great Comics Pub)

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Re: 005 - The Lost City Collection (Great Comics Pub)  (Read 271 times)

Yoc

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« on: May 16, 2022, 03:00:03 PM »

For those in the Reading Group enjoying these comics you might like the extras created for this collection.

Link to the book: 005 - The Lost City Collection (Great Comics Pub)
ip icon Logged

crashryan

message icon
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2022, 06:54:33 PM »

Thanks for this referral, Yoc. I missed this compilation the first time out (at least I think I did; the little grey cells are unreliable these days). Amazing that someone found the letter from the League of Nations. What was the point of writing them in the first place? I could see it as material for a planned publicity stunt. However the League's reply wouldn't have helped because the letter lists all the competition. The lawyer offered the obvious solution--just make something up--but the screenwriters made Zoloc a "Ligurian." Liguria is a region of Italy. I like the lawyer's admonition: "For Pete's sake make sure they get the geography wrong."
ip icon Logged

Yoc

message icon
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2022, 01:49:45 PM »

Hi Crash,
Glad you enjoyed the extras! 

And now the truth...those 'letters' were faked for Erwin K. Robert's introduction as a joke on how often 'lost cities' have been used in movies and literature.  It looks like I did a pretty good job on them.  I used Google to find the stamps and logos and put it together in Photoshop.  It was a lot of fun to pull them off.

It was done in the same sense of whimsy as the DVDVerdict review of the Lost City serial on pg79 of the collection which has a fake conversation between William Boyd and his agent.

Stay well,
-Yoc
ip icon Logged

crashryan

message icon
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2022, 03:48:18 PM »

...those 'letters' were faked for Erwin K. Robert's introduction as a joke

Ah...I see. It just might be a good idea to hide a disclaimer somewhere pointing that out. The "interview" was obviously a joke, but the fake documentation looks rather convincing, and that sort of thing has a way of showing up in serious research. You sure fooled me.
ip icon Logged

Yoc

message icon
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2022, 07:54:45 PM »

Sorry about that Crash.   :-\
I suspect you are correct.  I thought the 'from the collection of Ackerman 'Aggy' Forrest' would be a big clue but it is buried in the page.

I promise the next time, if ever, I do something like that I'll be sure to mark it as a joke somewhere on the page.

-Yoc
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2022, 01:46:50 AM »

I thought the 'from the collection of Ackerman 'Aggy' Forrest' would be a big clue but it is buried in the page.

That really ought to be enough. Anybody who might see those letters land quotes them
as genuine should also do their due diligence, so you at least are covered.   
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission and Disclaimer: The mission of Comic Book Plus is to present completely free of charge, and to the widest possible audience, popular cultural works of the past. These records are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They are historical documents reflecting the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We at Comic Book Plus do not endorse the views expressed in these, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

We aim to house only content in the Public Domain. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, then please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further.