in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,823 books
 New: 183 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Re: 1083 - Men Into Space

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Re: 1083 - Men Into Space  (Read 84 times)

crashryan

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« on: July 23, 2022, 03:30:03 AM »

I always wondered how Murphy Anderson came to draw this comic. As far as I know he did nothing else for Dell/Western. It's a terrific job, too. Anderson captured William Lundigan's likeness nicely. The only thing that is out of place is the spaceship design. The TV show based its hardware on Chesley Bonestell's designs, the ones he developed for the Willy Ley-Wernher von Braun space travel books. Anderson's rather rudimentary rocketship sticks out from the slick artwork like a sore thumb.

The story is more mature than your typical TV comic. It seems to have taken pieces from TV episodes. I haven't seen the show since 1959 so I remember almost nothing, but on IMDB someone describes the scene where McCauley, drifting in space, repeats his name over and over so the crew can get a fix on him. Then again, most of the comments were from people who also hadn't seen the show since 1959. Maybe this guy was remembering the comic book!

Link to the book: 1083 - Men Into Space
ip icon Logged

Captain Audio

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2022, 05:51:00 AM »

I downloaded all episodes of Men Into Space many years ago and burned them to discs.
I remember the ep with McCauley adrift repeating his name so they could track his trajectory.
An interesting tid bit, the spacesuit he wore in that ep was an actual spacesuit made by the US Navy for extreme high altitude flights, most likely by balloon at that time. Some of those balloon flights got very near the edge of the atmosphere.
Later eps used a simpler costume grade space suit, little more than a coverall with a realistic helmet and neck ring seal.
This was a great series, ahead of its time in some ways but dead on its time frame in other ways.
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.