in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,842 books
 New: 96 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Re: Jetta 5

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Re: Jetta 5  (Read 185 times)

Quirky Quokka

• VIP
message icon
« on: September 22, 2022, 05:00:02 AM »

I'd never heard of Jetta until I discovered these comics on this site. I was thinking the style was very much like Archie, and have since learned it was the same artist, so that explains it. One of the characters looks very much like Reggie Mantle from the Archie Gang. Very well-drawn. 10 out of 10 for the art. The stories were pretty good, though didn't have quite the sweet charm of Archie. I did like the hip space talk though. When I was a kid, I loved watching the Jetsons TV show and the most amazing futuristic invention to me was the video phone. But here they have one a decade before the Jetsons! I also liked the funny details in some of the pictures. For example, when Jetta and Arky go to an old movie starring Humphrey GoCart. Humphrey Bogart would have indeed been a current movie star when this comic was published. A nice twist on the usual teen comic.

Link to the book: Jetta 5
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2022, 10:38:59 AM »

loved watching the Jetsons TV show and the most amazing futuristic invention to me was the video phone. But here they have one a decade before the Jetsons!

Somewhere around the same time Dick Tracy had a wrist radio which eventually became a wrist video phone. 
ip icon Logged

Captain Audio

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2022, 11:39:12 AM »

loved watching the Jetsons TV show and the most amazing futuristic invention to me was the video phone. But here they have one a decade before the Jetsons!

Somewhere around the same time Dick Tracy had a wrist radio which eventually became a wrist video phone.

A wrist radio had been invented around that time, perhaps as far back as the thirties. In the TV series of SHIELD agent Colson had the original in his private collection of spy gear. I think his collection was destroyed when the aircraft he used as his headquarters was destroyed.
ip icon Logged

Robb_K

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2022, 05:45:18 PM »

I remember a precursor to The Jetsons' prediction of the communications future.  It was a 1954 story in which Goofy bought a "Peewee TV", which strapped to one's nose, screen aimed towards the wearer's eyes, to allow the wearer to watch a TV show while walking.  50+ years later, people have small, hand-held screen devices, on which, they can watch films, TV programmes, and sports and other live events.  Amazing presaging of the future by comic cartoonist creators, in the league and tradition of Jules Verne and H.G. Wells!  Of course, there were Sci-Fi stories from back in the 1930s (short stories in books, pulps, and newspaper comic strips) which featured futuristic communications instruments.
ip icon Logged

Quirky Quokka

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2022, 07:23:34 AM »

Thanks Australian Panther, Captain Audio and Robb re the inventions like the video watches, cell phones and screens. Yes, it's amazing to look back and see what they were predicting all those years ago. A few years ago, hubby and I bought all the box set DVDs of the original Star Trek from the early 1960s, as I'd never seen them before. I was amazed to discover that their communicators bore an uncanny likeness to my extremely modern Nokia flip phone. Probably not a coincidence that Nokia and others chose that design. Now we have Apple watches that probably have more power than the computers that landed Apollo 11 on the moon. Though alas, I had to take a step back from the space age. I got a Fitbit watch last Christmas and had to return it because I had an adverse reaction to the electric pulse it emits. Maybe space age watches aren't all they're cracked up to be  :D
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.