in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,817 books
 New: 193 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Conan the Destroyer...

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Conan the Destroyer...  (Read 4020 times)

Menticide

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
Conan the Destroyer...
« on: July 23, 2010, 08:34:23 PM »

The late, great Frank Frazetta's 1971 painting 'Conan the Destroyer' has just been sold to a private collector for 1.5 million dollars. Wow! Just thought I'd pass that on.
ip icon Logged

boox909

• VIP
message icon
Re: Conan the Destroyer...
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2010, 08:49:35 PM »

The late, great Frank Frazetta's 1971 painting 'Conan the Destroyer' has just been sold to a private collector for 1.5 million dollars. Wow! Just thought I'd pass that on.

:o :o :o :o :o :o
ip icon Logged

JVJ

message icon
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2010, 10:11:02 PM »

There will always be people out there with more dollars than sense.

my 2
ip icon Logged

Geo (R.I.P.)

message icon
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2010, 03:14:20 AM »

I like reading about the part of his son breaking into a museum with a backhoe to get one of his dad's painting. That was pretty weird by the way.

Geo
ip icon Logged

Menticide

message icon
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2010, 05:32:50 AM »

I like reading about the part of his son breaking into a museum with a backhoe to get one of his dad's painting. That was pretty weird by the way.

Geo

Yep, that was quite strange indeed. Isn't Jr. a somewhat established artist himself? I thought I'd heard that before.
ip icon Logged
Comic Book Plus In-House Image

JVJ

message icon
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2010, 11:00:40 PM »

I am willing to bet that the entire Frazetta "mess" is MUCH more complicated and nuanced than any of the things we've "read" or "heard" or think we know. Without the facts and the details, it's seems both inconsiderate and potentially libelous to continue to repeat rumors and unsubstantiated "occurrences" as facts.

my 2
ip icon Logged

Menticide

message icon
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2010, 06:37:52 AM »

I am willing to bet that the entire Frazetta "mess" is MUCH more complicated and nuanced than any of the things we've "read" or "heard" or think we know. Without the facts and the details, it's seems both inconsiderate and potentially libelous to continue to repeat rumors and unsubstantiated "occurrences" as facts.

my 2
« Last Edit: July 25, 2010, 06:41:30 AM by Menticide »
ip icon Logged

JVJ

message icon
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2010, 06:41:56 PM »

It's hard to know exactly what's fact and what's rumor, Menticide. I've heard so MANY different stories from people "in the know" that I'm frankly so frustrated with "I think"s or "I heard"s and the like that I want to just cover my ears and eyes and move on to something else. Is Frank Jr an artist? This post hasn't clarified that point to any extent that I can rely on. Personally, I don't know the answer to the question. Nor do I know what happened to cause the rifts that are obviously occurring in the family.

I will state unequivocally that the situation arises from some serious lack of foresight and family estate planning. At their ages, Ellie and Frank should have had a trust and written wills filed with their attorneys stating exactly who got what and how things should be handled upon either or both of their deaths. They didn't. That's criminally negligent IMHO. Nobody gets out of this life alive and you have to plan and control what's going to happen after your death. It's a serious responsibility we all have to minimize the confusion and stress (and the estate taxes) of that eventuality.

If any of you haven't prepared your will (or your trust or estate) yet, I strongly suggest you take the time, spend a little money, and get your ducks lined up. It's a great relief and your family will thank you (eventually).

As for the Frazettas, they brought all this on themselves by not doing what anyone with 1/10 of their estate value (and half a brain) would have done. The ugliness of the results is sad and without facts it's only sadder that people continue to speculate and discuss things we know so little about.

I'll shut up now. I'm happy that Frank's painting went for so much money, but you might ask yourselves why Frank didn't sell it when he was alive?

Peace, Jim (|:{>
ip icon Logged

CharlieRock

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2010, 12:23:39 AM »

That's the cliche, JVJ; an artist's paintings always sell for megabux after they pass away.  ???
ip icon Logged

JVJ

message icon
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2010, 02:44:58 AM »

That's the cliche, JVJ; an artist's paintings always sell for megabux after they pass away.  ???

No, CharlieRock, the point I was making wasn't regarding the price, it was that when he was alive, the painting WASN'T FOR SALE. It was in a museum. Why did it suddenly come on to the market and what happened to the Frazetta Museum?

Curious minds want to know.

ip icon Logged

Drusilla lives!

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2010, 01:46:46 PM »

No, CharlieRock, the point I was making wasn't regarding the price, it was that when he was alive, the painting WASN'T FOR SALE. It was in a museum. Why did it suddenly come on to the market and what happened to the Frazetta Museum?

Curious minds want to know.

Actually, if I recall correctly, there were one or two of his works that did sell in that million dollar range (at auction) while he was still alive... I'm not sure if they were from his personal collection, but he was aware of the sales (I remember him commenting on one sale in a recent interview).

Sad about that Frazetta Museum... what did happen to it?  And what I'd also like to know is what happened to that planned national retrospective tour of his work?  Guess those ideas died with the artist.   :'(

I thought that museum was a great idea... one that they could have really built on.  I always thought he could have had an annual fantasy art festival or something up there... featuring new and old artists exhibiting comic and other fantasy illustration work... oh well.
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.