in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,842 books
 New: 96 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Re: Whiz Comics 012

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Re: Whiz Comics 012  (Read 259 times)

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« on: January 30, 2023, 06:00:03 AM »

This is the second time recently
that I have seen a Fawcett character riding through the skies on a piece of ordinance. I think Jr was on a bomb.
Quite apart of the obvious anatomical implications of the image, Fawcett was the last place I would have expected to see that imagery.
And that is one h*^#@ 9f of an ENGINE of DOOM!
Makes me curious as to what was the first instance that imagery was used. I suspect in one of the wartime Disney or Warner Brothers wartime propaganda cartoons. And seeing that imagery would have stayed in the minds of cartoonists.
Who drew that and what was going on in his mind?
At this point in writing, a light-bulb went off. This was a common image that Bomber Crews painted on the fuselages of their planes.
Also, from the synopsis of the story, What is a GNATZI? [Also used in the text of the story?
Please explain?

Link to the book: Whiz Comics 012
ip icon Logged

Robb_K

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2023, 06:53:23 AM »

Also, from the synopsis of the story, What is a GNATZI? [Also used in the text of the story?
Please explain?

This comic book is dated: January, 1941.  The USA was not at war with Germany until December 7, 1941.  It was already on the commercial comics racks and shelves two months before that, and the stories were written at least 3 or 4 months before January.  So, publishers not wanting to be censured by The US Government for possibly causing an international incident between Germany and USA over implying that The German government was committing criminal acts and should be thwarted by acts of war, they covered themselves by not using the nation of Germany or the name "Nazi".  I'm not sure what penalties such an action would engender, but a massive fine might occur, and I would guess possibly an additional kind of punishment (which might shut down their operations).  I'm sure all publishers were aware of such a possibility.  In the issues of early 1942, US comic book stories were free to advocate bombing Germany, and kicking Adolph's rear end. "Gnatzi" with Gn in English sounding just like "N" alone, clearly got the message to the reader, but avoided the blatant reference to real countries and current political events.  Once two countries are at war, they don't worry about insulting their enemies.

I know that you know all this, so I'm wondering whether your question was made with tongue in cheek, or if you hadn't read any of the books stories, and simply wanted to know how the Gnatzis were depicted (possibly like gnats?).
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2023, 09:37:08 AM »

Robb, Thank you for the information.
I know that you know all this,

No I didn't know that, but since the Gnatzi's was in the story itself, I reasoned that there was some legal reason for it, so the information didn't surprise me.
My perspective on US Golden Age comics is fairly recent - the first US comics I ever read were mid-50's DC reprints, so earlier stuff I have learned about from reprints, my own reading and sites like CB+.
I saw no Fawcett comics at all in Australia and only became aware of CC Beck from 'Fatman the Human Flying Saucer' [Which I love, and which we have on CB+] and classic Captain Marvel only when DC had the character.
One thing I get from your information is that even tho the US Government was reluctant to get involved in the European war before Pearl Harbor, popular opinion and areas of the media were against NAZI Germany.
I'm still curious about the origin of that iconic image.
Speaking of iconic images, I do know, from my own research, the history of Jack Kirby and Joe Simon's iconic cover of Captain America punching out Hitler, published November 1941, before the US was at war with Germany. I guess they didn't use the word 'Nazi' in the text? 
The History Behind Captain America Punching Hitler
https://www.cbr.com/the-history-behind-captain-america-punching-hitler.

ip icon Logged

SuperScrounge

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2023, 12:35:52 PM »

TV Tropes has Riding The Bomb https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/RidingTheBomb The oldest example was in the Adventures of Baron Munchasen when he was described riding a cannonball (not exactly the same thing, but close).

Here's an article on bomber jacket art, although when the first character riding a bomb/missile was not dated. https://www.collectorsweekly.com/articles/wwii-war-paint-how-bomber-jacket-art-emboldened-our-boys/

And, ummm,  :o here's an... interesting toy from WWII https://www.barrett-jackson.com/Events/Event/Details/Scarce-World-War-II-Era-Garton-Aerial-Bomb-childs-riding-toy-179499
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2023, 10:03:59 PM »

here's an... interesting toy from WWII

Don't know how comfortable I would be, having my kid riding that!

Thought I would have a look at fuselage designs in WWII. While there are some 'Riding the Bomb' images, some of them definitely 'R' rated, The majority make it clear what the majority of the air-crews actually had their minds on - and I think its fair to say that most of them were probably heterosexual.
https://www.pinterest.com.au/pin/29203097571194018/?mt=login

cheers!
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.