in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,842 books
 New: 96 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Re: 1337 - Dr. Kildare

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Re: 1337 - Dr. Kildare  (Read 286 times)

PrincessWrixie

message icon
« on: March 14, 2023, 02:30:03 PM »

Since there is no info about it here, I want to add that the artist involved in this comic is Doug Wildey who is mostly known for his work Jonny Quest.

Link to the book: 1337 - Dr. Kildare
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2023, 11:17:52 PM »

Welcome PrincessWrixie. Great early Post.
GCD does indeed credit Doug Wildey for this book.
I would have to say, I am personally not convinced. I'm familiar with Wildey's work and this doesn't look like his style. It's certainly by a superior draftsman though.
Interestingly, Doug Wildey, who did work for Dell, is also known as a 'Western' artist (there are examples here on CB+) and Dr Kildare was created by Frederick Schiller Faust under the pen name Max Brand. And yes, he is much better known as an author of Westerns.
Here is a worldwide list of Dr Kildare comics. 
https://www.comics.org/searchNew/?q=Dr%20Kildare
The Eight issue run of Dr Kildare that Dell published following on from #1337
Creator credits.
Bob Jenney (b. 1914)    Bob Jenney    1965    1    pencils (1)
Dick Giordano (b. 1932)    Dick Giordano    1964    2    pencils (1); inks (2)
Don Segall (b. 1933)    Don Segall    1966    1    script (1)
Doug Wildey (b. 1922)    Doug Wildey    1964    1    pencils (1); inks (1)
Frank McLaughlin (b. 1935)    Frank McLaughlin    1964    3    pencils (1); inks (3)
John Tartaglione (b. 1921)    John Tartaglione    1964    3    pencils (3)
Paul S. Newman (b. 1924)    Paul S. Newman    1964    1    script (1)
Sal Trapani (b. 1927)    Sal Trapani    1966    1    inks (1)
Gerald McCann (b. 1916)    Gerald McCann    1965    1    inks (1)
Don Siegel (b. 1912)    Don Siegel    1964    1    script (1) 

Don Siegel or Don Segall ? Spelling? Don Siegel is the gent better known as a Film Director.  And for those not aware, Paul S Newman is not the film actor, just a gent who wrote more comic stories than Stan Lee.
Princess, thanks for the opportunity to look into this in detail.     
Thanks for your contribution and please continue to contribute and join in.
Cheers!

« Last Edit: March 15, 2023, 04:06:55 AM by The Australian Panther »
ip icon Logged

crashryan

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2023, 12:55:28 AM »

Don Siegel or Don Segall

Don Segall. Director Don Siegel was a different guy. The confusion of names was made easier by the fact that comic book writer Segall went into entertainment as well, as a writer for TV. The Los Angeles Times' capsule obit (1994) explains:

Don Segall, 60, a veteran episodic television writer. Segall began in the industry as a page at NBC in New York and then sold radio advertising time in the late 1950s before writing comic books. He moved to scriptwriting and went on to write many episodes of “The Love Boat,” “The Jeffersons,” “Chico and the Man,” “That’s Life” and several TV movies. Segall also wrote books and additional continuity for comic books. He was nominated for an Emmy for his work on “A.M. New York.” In Los Angeles on Saturday of what a family spokesman described as natural causes.

Don Segall wrote some of the most crazy-ass comics in the post-Western Dell era, like Kona, Monarch of Monster Isle, 87th Precinct, and Adventures in Paradise. He later had a hand--I'm unsure just how-- in the creation of DC's The Creeper.
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2023, 04:09:20 AM »

Crash,

Don Segall wrote some of the most crazy-ass comics in the post-Western Dell era, like Kona, Monarch of Monster Isle, 87th Precinct, and Adventures in Paradise. He later had a hand--I'm unsure just how-- in the creation of DC's The Creeper.

D'oh! I knew that! Should have remembered!

Cheers.
ip icon Logged

FraBig

message icon
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2023, 11:08:04 AM »

This may be a bit unrelated, but I absolutely love Don Siegel as a director. He made some really great movies.
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.