in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,819 books
 New: 188 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Downunder Dan uploads

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Downunder Dan uploads  (Read 536 times)

Downunder Dan

message icon
Downunder Dan uploads
« on: January 25, 2024, 07:48:24 AM »

As I'm adding comics most every week, it's been suggested posting info hear will help the upload process and keep readers advised.

I'm in Australia, and our comics history is far less documented and saved that our American cousins. I will generally post Australian comics published in Australia. And because that's my plan, I've got an Australian comic with American comic strips reprinted in it. Consistency is not guaranteed.

I've just uploaded:

Captain Justice 12 (a masked character in the wild west)

Scorchy Smith 10 (an American aviator-adventurer, originally published in a daily comic strip)
« Last Edit: January 30, 2024, 10:39:40 AM by Downunder Dan »
ip icon Logged

bowers

• Global Moderator
message icon
Re: Downunder Dan uploads
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2024, 08:06:19 PM »

Thanks for all of these, Dan! These are really good and much appreciated! Cheers, bowers
ip icon Logged

Downunder Dan

message icon
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2024, 10:46:55 AM »

This week's additions:

Captain Atom 21 (the villainous Weatherman takes on Captain Atom)

Triumph (an anthology featuring aviator The Raven, jungle adventuress Jo, and science fiction adventures with Captain Jerry Winters)
ip icon Logged

Downunder Dan

message icon
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2024, 11:43:45 PM »

Now in the upload queue:

Crimson Comet #8

Legion of Space #3
ip icon Logged

Downunder Dan

message icon
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2024, 10:55:18 AM »

Just uploaded to the queue, a standalone comic and an issue of an anthology:

Treasure Planet

Little Trimmer 3
ip icon Logged

Downunder Dan

message icon
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2024, 08:38:36 AM »

This week's uploads are:

El Lobo, the Man from Nowhere #12 (a western)

Cracker Comics (an anthology with adventure, superhero, horror and humour strips)
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2024, 08:51:31 AM »

Approved.  Thanks Dan.
ip icon Logged

Downunder Dan

message icon
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2024, 08:13:45 PM »

New version of El Lobo 12 file uploaded to include missing page 14 - sorry!
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2024, 12:22:02 PM »

No problem.  All done.  Great to have the book.
ip icon Logged

Downunder Dan

message icon
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2024, 11:46:24 AM »

This week, we have...

Captain Atom #24, in which our hero takes on the villainous gang Crooks Incorporated

And a treat for those steeped in Australian comicdom - Stanley Pitt's 1942 debut Anthony Fury
ip icon Logged

Downunder Dan

message icon
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2024, 07:05:47 AM »

This week's uploads:

Back to the very beginning with Invisible Avenger #1 - see the initial foray of this villain, and

52 pages of Frank Johnson assembled fun with Adventure Comics, a mixed bag of genres
ip icon Logged

Downunder Dan

message icon
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2024, 07:21:28 AM »

New old comics this week:

Click Comics is a one-shot anthology published by HE Hoffman

Crossdraw Kid is a western from a short-lived comics company
ip icon Logged
Comic Book Plus In-House Image

Downunder Dan

message icon
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2024, 03:26:29 AM »

This week's uploads:

Crimson Comet #9, with Albert De Vine as writer/artist of the title character, and another Roger Farr story by Cliff Barnes.

Climax All Australian Comics, a one-shot anthology book. The highlight for me is the Noel Cook story, but there's other good stuff in here.

I seem to have fallen into a pattern of uploading one named character book and one anthology book each week. Hopefully this provides some variety, and recognises that anthology books are a common format in the Golden Age of Australian comics.
ip icon Logged

Quirky Quokka

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2024, 10:06:31 PM »

Keep posting those old Aussie comics, Dan. Would love to see more Tim Valour comics and anything by Moira Bertram.

Cheers

Quirky Quokka
ip icon Logged

Downunder Dan

message icon
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2024, 12:15:13 AM »

Would love to see more Tim Valour comics and anything by Moira Bertram.

Our tastes seem to be in alignment! I've got a couple of Tim Valours yet to be scanned (they're in the 20s and 30s, so more combat than science fiction), and there's a Moira Bertram contribution in an anthology already scanned and should be be online within a couple of weeks! The range of old Aussie comics keeps throwing new things up, and I'm keen to reflect that range, but I certainly have favourites who I look out for as well.
ip icon Logged

Quirky Quokka

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2024, 12:42:45 AM »

Would love to see more Tim Valour comics and anything by Moira Bertram.

Our tastes seem to be in alignment! I've got a couple of Tim Valours yet to be scanned (they're in the 20s and 30s, so more combat than science fiction), and there's a Moira Bertram contribution in an anthology already scanned and should be be online within a couple of weeks! The range of old Aussie comics keeps throwing new things up, and I'm keen to reflect that range, but I certainly have favourites who I look out for as well.

Thanks Downunder Dan. I'm probably more interested in the Tim Valour sci-fi ones. Anything sci-fi actually. But I love seeing these old Aussie comics that I didn't know existed until I joined this group. Will look forward to seeing another Moira Bertram story.

Cheers

QQ
ip icon Logged

Downunder Dan

message icon
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2024, 05:21:37 AM »

This week’s Aussie goodness…

The Phantom Ranger #52 (by Peter Chapman) see the Ranger assist a two-person opera company travel across Native American land

Pacific Bandits in a one-off anthology title featuring a Jo and Her Magic Cape story (by Moira Bertram), Captain Thunder and his pirate crew exploring Terror Island (by the mysterious W.W.), Vic Vaughan seeking a missing general (by Terry Powis), and a humorous tale of Wombat Flat (by Eric Porter).
ip icon Logged

Downunder Dan

message icon
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2024, 02:15:13 AM »

Just submitted to be published:

Panther Man - City of Giants - not to be confused with the Panther, this earlier character appeared in a number of stories, and more may make there way to this site.

Action Comic #1 is a one-man anthology, with a science fiction hero, a racing driver, and a man of action. Action Comic (sometimes 'Action Comics', though most issues list the name in the singular) had a fairly long run.
ip icon Logged

Downunder Dan

message icon
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2024, 06:34:43 PM »

Submitted this week:

Invisible Avenger #2

Blue Star All Australian Comics

ip icon Logged

Downunder Dan

message icon
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2024, 10:49:09 AM »

This week we have (John Dixon! Peter Chapman! Phil Belpin! Ron Broadley!):

Gem Comics #4 with a mixed bag of action-adventure comics

Tim Valour #23
ip icon Logged

Downunder Dan

message icon
« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2024, 12:02:26 AM »

This week:

'Trig' Matson #1 which features a Western hero, but it also has an aeronautical duo of adventurers in one backup feature, and a trio of humorous detectives in the other

Lucky 'magpie' Comic, another 52 page Frank Johnson one-off anthology
ip icon Logged

Downunder Dan

message icon
« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2024, 11:34:12 AM »

As a small ANZAC day bonus, I'm posting a New Zealand biscuit company advertising pamphlet disguised as a science fiction comic. It shows a bit of imagination, but fails as an adventure comic. SPOILER: Adventures in Space with Jim and Joy features our child heroes saving the alien Ixions from a boring diet with delicious biscuits! (Americans would call the baked goods cookies rather than biscuits.) I suppose they could be ANZAC biscuits...
ip icon Logged

Downunder Dan

message icon
« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2024, 10:03:35 AM »

A little early this week, so look out for:

Crimson Comet 12 with a mission to Sungma, a country in the Himalayas. After a few shorter Crimson Comet tales, it's back to filling most of the issue (4 pages go the a comedy back-up feature).

Gem Comics 6 with adventures in outer space, in the jungle, and in the dark alleys of a crime-infested city. Something for everyone?
ip icon Logged

Downunder Dan

message icon
« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2024, 11:42:53 PM »

Just submitted...

Grey Domino #2

Action Comic #3

I've not scanned any Grey Domino previously, as the character hasn't really captured my imagination - but the ratings of the previously posted issues show other readers have different tastes to me! Enjoy.

I hadn't planned to return to Action Comic so soon, but as I received a request for some issues to assist with another CB+ participant's private research, here's one of the requests. I'm not particularly seeking suggestions, and he comics I have access to is quite patchy for specific issues, but happy to help if I can. (More issues from this request will also be uploaded as time goes by.)
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #24 on: Today at 10:58:41 AM »

Thanks Dan. I'm a fan of the Grey Domino.
Both files approved.  Should show up soon
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.