in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,782 books
 New: 187 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Re: Kazanda Collection (1945-1946)

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Re: Kazanda Collection (1945-1946)  (Read 128 times)

Downunder Dan

message icon
« on: February 25, 2024, 03:07:02 AM »

Kazanda is a character originally published in Australia. There were two volumes: KAZANDA: THE WILD-GIRL AND THE LOST CONTINENT and KAZANDA AGAIN, both published by NSW Bookstall Co (dates of publication are poorly documented, but between 1938-42 for the first one, and 1941-1944 for the second). Archie Martin (using the pen-name Peter Amos) wrote it and Ted Brodie-Mack (pen-name Brodie Mack) drew it. Brodie Mack was born in New Zealand and moved to Australia, where he became a regular collaborator with Peter Amos using the pen-names as they are the ones used in their comics). They were published in black and white; I don’t know who coloured it for American publication. I haven’t yet looked at these two comics, but according to the AusReprints site, not all the material from the two Australian publications are used in Ranger Comics, but also there is also some additional art. When I scan these (assuming I can), I’ll contact the compiler to see if anything might be added to the compilation. As a side note, Brodie Mack (using the name Edward Brodie) was involved in running an art course, of which two instructional books still exist.

Link to the comment: Kazanda Collection (1945-1946)
ip icon Logged

SuperScrounge

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2024, 08:43:01 AM »

Years ago we had a discussion about Kazanda (I thought it started in a Reading Group selection, but apparently not) and I came across scans of the pages of the first book on an Australian site (unfortunately I can't find the address now), but I think they were pages submitted to Australia's version of Copyright registration (so it could be a government website or a museum website). I did download the pages, but as I didn't scan them and don't know Australian copyright law I haven't uploaded them.
ip icon Logged

SuperScrounge

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2024, 09:36:23 PM »

According to the National Library of Australia https://catalogue.nla.gov.au/catalog/7754416 & https://catalogue.nla.gov.au/catalog/2022286 the 2 original Kazanda books are still under copyright.
ip icon Logged

Downunder Dan

message icon
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2024, 02:44:12 AM »

Thanks for the advice. If looking at including Australian pages has been considered and turned down, I won't chase this up. I haven't looked into the two Kazanda publications at all, other than putting them on a lsit of Australian comics to look at, so there's been no work on my part.

BTW, the site where you saw the pages may well have been the National Archives of Australia.
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission and Disclaimer: The mission of Comic Book Plus is to present completely free of charge, and to the widest possible audience, popular cultural works of the past. These records are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They are historical documents reflecting the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We at Comic Book Plus do not endorse the views expressed in these, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

We aim to house only content in the Public Domain. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, then please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further.