in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,818 books
 New: 193 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Re: Action Comic 1

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Re: Action Comic 1  (Read 68 times)

Downunder Dan

message icon
Re: Action Comic 1
« on: April 04, 2024, 06:07:02 PM »

Having replaced the file, the previous comments have vanished. Here they are.

DOWNUNDER DAN:
And what did Len Lawson do to get such a "never to be released" jail sentence? It can be summarised in two words: rape and murder. Rather than writing about it, and putting the information online again, you might want to read the entry on the Lambiek Comiclopedia https:www.lambiek.net/artists/l/lawson_len.htm - or not bother, and spare yourself knowing more. I thought about not including anything from this person, but the Lone Avenger is a very important character in Australia's brief golden age of comics. Separate the art from the artist, if you can.

PAW BROON:
Thanks for this one Dan but I think there are a couple of pages duplicated and perhaps 2 pages missing.
I knew about this awful character and some would make an argument about not sharing his work. But I believe you've done the right thing in posting the comic.

DOWNUNDER DAN:
I'll check the scans and see if it's an issue with the scanning or the assembly of the contents. I'll resubmit when fixed.
I'm open to views on whether Lawson's work should be excluded. As his Lone Avenger stories were popular, excluding them might skew an understanding of how and why Australian comics developed. Did the Lone Avenger make westerns more numerous? And how do we make non-Lawson content available if we exclude the work of an unsavoury creator?

SUPERSCROUNGE:
As a creator I consider my work to be my children, and we don't punish children for the crimes of the father. Lawson was a flawed human and, I believe, he was punished for his crimes. His work committed no crimes and can be judged on its own merits.

OZMAN:
Thanks for this Dan.
In case anyone is interested, this link has Len Lawson on "60 Minutes" in 2003.
https:www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJNVHAMpVYQ

Link to the comment: Action Comic 1
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.