in house dollar bill thumbnail
In-House Image
 Total: 42,816 books
 New: 194 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Who colored the Golden Age Comics?

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Who colored the Golden Age Comics?  (Read 3952 times)

alimantan

message icon
Who colored the Golden Age Comics?
« on: October 16, 2010, 07:20:11 PM »

one thing i wondered a long time: who colored the golden age comics normally? Did the penciller / inker do the job or was it done by the publishing company? if the latter had the artists any influence?

i hope its not a silly question, but i coudn't find any data and google didn't help me either.
ip icon Logged

boox909

• VIP
message icon
Re: Who colored the Golden Age Comics?
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2010, 07:40:26 PM »

one thing i wondered a long time: who colored the golden age comics normally? Did the penciller / inker do the job or was it done by the publishing company? if the latter had the artists any influence?

i hope its not a silly question, but i coudn't find any data and google didn't help me either.

I've read that sometimes it was the printer. This should be a good topic!  ;D
ip icon Logged

Roygbiv666

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2010, 07:46:16 PM »

i vaguely recall a reference to ladies "cutting out the colors" or something from something I read as a kid.

It is somewhat referenced in this article:

http://comicscomicsmag.com/2008/08/comics-color-article-from-cc-2_26.html

The
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2010, 08:53:49 PM »

I believe LB Cole did his own coloring. I do not recognize his pencil but when I see certain covers the colors tell me it is Cole and sure enough it is. Joe Kubert could probably give a good idea
ip icon Logged

alimantan

message icon
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2010, 09:33:08 AM »

What an interesting article, thanks for posting it roy.
ip icon Logged
Comic Book Plus In-House Image

josemas

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2010, 01:02:15 PM »

I do remember reading that Marie Severin prepared a lot of the coloring guides at E.C. in the 1950s. 

Colorists typically used Doc Martin's dyes to color these guides for the separators.  Doc Martin's continued being used, at least, into the 1980s.  Nowadays I guess much of the coloring is done by computer.

As I've been looking through these GAC downloads I've noticed that Bob Powell seemed to use color holds a good deal more than any other artist of the GA period that I've run across so far.  To my mind this would imply that if he didn't prepare his own coloring guides he must have made a lot of notes for the colorist to follow.

Best

Joe
ip icon Logged

Jedifish

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2010, 07:02:22 PM »

Interesting topic. Something I've wondered about. I guess I kind of new about Marie Severin at EC, mainly from the current Archives, but I know almost nothing about the other companies.
ip icon Logged

Roygbiv666

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2010, 07:44:31 PM »

Could Bob Rozakis answer this? Huh, the Answer Man, get it?

Actually, he has a website somewhere .... http://bobrozakis.blogspot.com/

maybe he'd be able to help point you in the right direction.
ip icon Logged

NobbyNobbs

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2010, 12:02:16 AM »

Do anybody know if Alex Schomburg colored his own covers?
I have seen a few guesses at colorist for Schomburg covers at the GCD (name with ? after), but wonder if he might have done the coloring himself, as the thing that really stands out with his covers for me is the great coloring, and this seems to be the same with different publishers.
I know Jack Kirby did a lot of his own coloring in the Golden Age, and again believe that this holds true for the covers more than the stories.
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2010, 03:10:57 AM »

It makes sense that they may have colored their own covers. Way to make more money for one picture than a whole story. I am convinced that is the case with LB Cole
ip icon Logged

Roygbiv666

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2010, 10:08:54 PM »

This doesn't answer the who, but seems to help explain the (old) how:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=4400940#Post4400940

ip icon Logged

Drusilla lives!

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2010, 03:10:35 AM »

It makes sense that they may have colored their own covers. Way to make more money for one picture than a whole story. I am convinced that is the case with LB Cole

LB Cole did indeed color most (if not all) of his comic book covers, and he was probably allowed to do so due to his extensive background knowledge of lithography (he worked as an art director in the lithography biz prior to entering the comics industry)... and those unforgettable, though sometimes garish color schemes he used are as distinctive as his signature.  Btw, he referred to them as "poster colors."
« Last Edit: November 22, 2010, 03:13:11 AM by Drusilla lives! »
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.