in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,817 books
 New: 193 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Winter in Scotland

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Winter in Scotland  (Read 2245 times)

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
Winter in Scotland
« on: December 02, 2010, 11:23:35 AM »

It's now official - this is the most snow the country has had in 45 years.  Haven't seen my car for 4 days.  Tried clearing it after the first fall only to find another 4-5 inches came down overnight.  2 feet of snow in my garden. Given up.  Difficult enough keeping a path open to the main road.  Looks lovely but no busses, lots of trains off and temp. in Altnaharra overnight was -20.  We're away for a walk in our wellies.  Snow has started again.
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
Re: Winter in Scotland
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2010, 02:50:38 PM »

Global warming  ::)

My area of TN is due for a big snow it has been nearly 20years. Hopefully nothing before the end of this school year because time is needed to tie everything up. At the start of next semester would be great to have some extra days off for snow ;D
ip icon Logged

Geo (R.I.P.)

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2010, 03:16:28 PM »

We already got hit by the snow. On monday the 22th of Nov. we got 4 inches in a very short time, then sub-freezing temps. Some people didn't get home till the next morning after getting off work. Schools were let out at noon so the students could try to get home before evening. The next two days no schools open, they were off for Thanksgiving Break on Thursday and Friday of that week. Power went out on Monday for 50k people (the whole north end of town), we lost power on Tuesday evening for 5 hours. The snow was finally gone by Friday, roads were icy till Wednesday evening because of single digit temps till then.

So yes it been a cold winter so far. We've only got snow this early two times that I can remember in my lifetime here. Most winters we don't get any, but the last 10 years it seems, it's snowed one or two times with up to 10 inches of it at a time.

Geo
ip icon Logged

bowers

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2010, 10:04:37 PM »

Geo, we've got about a foot or more on the ground here on the other side of the Cascades. Also a dysfunctional city government which cannot come up with a workable plan for plowing the streets. (These are the same clowns who let the city buy de-icer that doesn't work when it's cold!) Cheers, Bowers
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2010, 09:17:13 AM »

"(These are the same clowns who let the city buy de-icer that doesn't work when it's cold!)" - bowers.
Sounds like some of the numpties on our council.  Just checked the bus co. site and no busses up to our part of town again today, so, an expedition on foot to the nearest supermarket, about a mile away. (No chance of getting the car out).  Reports on Radio Scotland this morning suggest that supplies in some shops are running low and petrol deliveries from the Grangemouth refinery aren't getting out. Some petrol stations about to run out.  We have friends who are supposed to leave for a holiday in N.Y. today but as Edinburgh airport only opened last night at 6 pm, after 2 days closed, they'll have trouble getting their flight.
As for us, we are booked for a few days in London next week and it's fingers crossed that trains will be running normally again.  All great stuff.
At least England didn't get the World Cup and now Russia can have all the hassle of running what will be a loss making event.  And I don't like soccer anyway. Saw the Panorama prog. on FIFA corruption - hard stuff.
ip icon Logged

Geo (R.I.P.)

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2010, 06:02:42 PM »

Stay warm and safe Paw, is all I can say at this time. At least you have power, a big plus when your options are limited like they are at this time.

Geo
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2010, 06:19:12 PM »

Been over 15 years since we had a big storm. This is a crazy area. If there is even a hint of snow coming the stores are over run with people buying milk and bread. EVERY time it just might snow that happens. Then if it does snow it is only light or if it lays is gone by the next day. But hey the supermarkets make good business.
ip icon Logged

Crocodilian

message icon
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2011, 07:16:28 AM »

Geo, we've got about a foot or more on the ground here on the other side of the Cascades. Also a dysfunctional city government which cannot come up with a workable plan for plowing the streets. (These are the same clowns who let the city buy de-icer that doesn't work when it's cold!) Cheers, Bowers

You're in the upper left corner too?

I gotta say, Jet/Emerald/Lake City wasn't made for snow . . . hills & black ice = stay home.
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.