in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,819 books
 New: 188 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Amazing Adventures - Amazing Art!

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Amazing Adventures - Amazing Art!  (Read 5121 times)

Aratak

• VIP
message icon
Amazing Adventures - Amazing Art!
« on: November 05, 2006, 12:57:58 PM »

That Amazing Adventures #01 uploaded by AE660 is just an amazing, beautiful thing.

Start off with a lovely Ogden Whitney story (with an unusual inker - anybody know who?), followed by Murphy Anderson during his most ornate period, a third story by an unknown (but seemingly competent) artist, and a final story by Wally Wood. Whew! What a line-up!

The issue is currently hiding in the Fiction House-Planet Comics folder, although I suspect it will get its own crash-pad as soon as our magnificent moderator gets the time to whip one up. When that happens, I have a scan of #3 that I'll upload, as well.

Great scan by an unknown scanner, too. Just a treat.
ip icon Logged

Chet Edson

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: Chet Edson
message icon
Re: Amazing Adventures - Amazing Art!
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2006, 01:28:29 PM »

Aratak,

I couldn't agree more... This is perhaps one of the greatest non-EC Sci-Fi books of the Atom age. I haven't downloaded this scan because I'm fortunate enough to own a paper copy. But, if I'm not mistaken, this scan should be by the lengendary Marbleriver.

Oh, and if the Competent Art your refering to comes from the story "Tresspasser in Time". That's a rare example of Alex Schomburg's interior work.

Again, great call on this book.

Chet
ip icon Logged

Aratak

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2006, 01:03:08 AM »

So that Alex Schomburg. Nice. Thanks for the heads up on that, Chet!

I hope somebody scans a copy of #2 of this wonderful series.
ip icon Logged

Aussie500

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: Aussie500
message icon
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2006, 12:05:05 PM »

Having hunted all over the place for the Amazing adventures l eventually find it in the Planet Comics section, l do not suppose anyone can explain why it is in there? When l make a Ziff-Davis section l will move it  ;)      lt seems number 3 has been scanned as well
« Last Edit: November 08, 2006, 12:07:43 PM by aussie500 »
ip icon Logged

Aratak

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2006, 09:15:39 PM »

Having hunted all over the place for the Amazing adventures l eventually find it in the Planet Comics section, l do not suppose anyone can explain why it is in there? When l make a Ziff-Davis section l will move it  ;)      lt seems number 3 has been scanned as well

Sorry, Aussie. I think that I remarked on its mis-placement in another thread. Appreciate you moving it to a good home!
ip icon Logged
Comic Book Plus In-House Image

Aussie500

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2006, 02:31:37 AM »

l was looking at making the home last night, but was reading up on Ziff-Davis Publications and decided to check into whether of not they are public domain a bit more. The company is still publishing and although no longer owned by the Ziff family since it was sold of in 1994 l am not sure where or when the rights to the comics were sold, since Ziff-Davis is now owned by a bunch of lawyers just want to check, are we sure they are public domain?
ip icon Logged

Zog

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2006, 06:20:51 AM »

l was looking at making the home last night, but was reading up on Ziff-Davis Publications and decided to check into whether of not they are public domain a bit more. The company is still publishing and although no longer owned by the Ziff family since it was sold of in 1994 l am not sure where or when the rights to the comics were sold, since Ziff-Davis is now owned by a bunch of lawyers just want to check, are we sure they are public domain?

I would say yes, they are public domain.
If something falls into public domain, anyone can publish it, so if for example DC if publish something thats in the public domain, we can still distribute it, they have the same right as anyone else to use it.
I mention DC, because they do seem to be the one publisher doing reruns of public domain stuff. Just because they publish it, does not give them the right to the material.
;D
ip icon Logged

Aussie500

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2006, 02:14:55 PM »

Actually unless the comic was published before 1923 you cannot assume it is public domain. Prior to 1976 the copyright on comics was 28 years plus they could be renewed for a further 28 years giving a maximum copyright period of 56 years. However the copyright act of 1976 while extensively lengthening the period of new copyrights also added another 20 years onto any of the old copyrights still in effect on January 1, 1978. Then the Copyright Term Extension Act of 1998 (aka the Mickey Mouse Protection Act) added another 20 years onto the old still effective copyrights as well as extending the term on new copyrights. So If it was printed in 1923 or later, had the copyright renewed, it will not become public domain until 2019 at the earliest. No doubt by 2019 another ammendment will be made to ensure Mickey does not become public domain in the USA. Fortunately most GA publishers went out of business prior to the initial 28 year period being up for renewal, however with Ziff-Davis still being a publisher l was not sure, but it seems after Bill Ziff jnr took over his dads company in 1953 he decided to get out of comics and concentrate on the magazines, shortly after St. John started publishing some of the previously Ziff-Davis owned comics, so l would say the copyright was sold to them, and then they went bust, either way l do not believe the copyright on any of the Ziff-Davis comics was renewed
ip icon Logged

Aussie500

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2006, 06:40:29 AM »

It seems not only was our Amazing Adventures 01 incomplete, it also had the stories in the wrong order. Thanks to Chet Edson for the proper story sequence as well as the missing pages, and very nicely scanned they are as well  ;D

1. "The Asteroid Witch" - Murphy Anderson
2. "A-Day" - Ogden Whitney
3. "Winged Death on Venus" - Wally Wood
4. "Tresspasser in Time" - Alex Schomburg
5. "The Stone Men" - ?

Which reminds me who uploaded the #3, it was not in a named folder on the FTP, was it Aratak?
« Last Edit: November 12, 2006, 06:53:52 AM by aussie500 »
ip icon Logged

Chet Edson

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: Chet Edson
message icon
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2006, 01:42:55 PM »

Thank you for posting these Aussie500!

I'm still on a dial-up, which very much has its' limits.

This gem of a Schomburg story is the reason I purchased the book. I thought others might enjoy it as well.

Thanks again

Chet
ip icon Logged

Aussie500

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2006, 03:00:45 PM »

Did eventually remember to update the one on the site, unfortunately in changing them l lost the comments :(
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.