in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,817 books
 New: 194 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

An exercise in frustration!

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: An exercise in frustration!  (Read 2704 times)

TDolce

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: TDolce
message icon
An exercise in frustration!
« on: January 18, 2011, 01:28:05 AM »

Holy cow, what an incredibly difficult site to navigate through! I sign up,...I activate,...I try to login and it tells me I'm already logged in,...I try to download a comic and it tells me that I need to login.

I try again and it tells me that I've reached my allotted amount of downloads.
Seriously?
ip icon Logged

boox909

• VIP
message icon
Re: An exercise in frustration!
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2011, 01:42:27 AM »

Holy cow, what an incredibly difficult site to navigate through! I sign up,...I activate,...I try to login and it tells me I'm already logged in,...I try to download a comic and it tells me that I need to login.

I try again and it tells me that I've reached my allotted amount of downloads.
Seriously?

In other words, you chose to not read the "HERE'S WHAT YOU HAVE TO DO TO START DOWNLOADING!" post, even though it is prominently displayed on the forum.  :-\ Yeah well...I can see why you are frustrated. I would be also if I had not bothered to read the GAC-UK F.A.Q. or the "HERE'S WHAT YOU HAVE TO DO TO START DOWNLOADING!" post.

B.  ;)

PS: Good one on starting a new thread to highlight your not reading the "HERE'S WHAT YOU HAVE TO DO TO START DOWNLOADING!" post.
ip icon Logged

TimoZi

message icon
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2011, 10:42:11 PM »

I've gone through the "HERE'S WHAT YOU HAVE TO DO TO START DOWNLOADING!" process. I understand the need for admins.

But this site is still very difficult to navigate, stay logged in, make connections, successfully download an entire file, etc. I was able to use up my allotted in downloads in 4 failed clicks. This IS a holy cow frustrating site.

I do understand the bandwidth limitations and the fact you guys are trying to offer this stuff for free, but really bandwidth is not that hard to come by....

Timo
ip icon Logged

boox909

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2011, 11:40:50 PM »

I've gone through the "HERE'S WHAT YOU HAVE TO DO TO START DOWNLOADING!" process. I understand the need for admins.

But this site is still very difficult to navigate, stay logged in, make connections, successfully download an entire file, etc. I was able to use up my allotted in downloads in 4 failed clicks. This IS a holy cow frustrating site.

I do understand the bandwidth limitations and the fact you guys are trying to offer this stuff for free, but really bandwidth is not that hard to come by....

Timo

Thanks for your post. I check out what you attempted to download and found that you attempted to download multiple copies of the same book. That is indeed odd and I don't blame you for being frustrated. Not knowing exactly what you are using to download with (that is, dial-up, wireless, broadband, etc.) I cannot answer your issue on why you are being logged out or failing to download full files. You will have to supply a bit more info on that.

Regardless, you are being reset for downloading and if problems continue, please do let us know.

Regards,
B.
ip icon Logged

TimoZi

message icon
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2011, 12:02:07 AM »

Thanks for your post. I check out what you attempted to download and found that you attempted to download multiple copies of the same book. That is indeed odd and I don't blame you for being frustrated. Not knowing exactly what you are using to download with (that is, dial-up, wireless, broadband, etc.) I cannot answer your issue on why you are being logged out or failing to download full files. You will have to supply a bit more info on that.

Thanks for the reset.

I am on a wired ADSL connection. When I was having problems I was trying to download a single file. It wasn't able to gauge the expected file size, "Unknown time remaining." It was going at variables speeds between 10 kps and 30 kps. I have plenty more bandwidth. The download eventually just ended at an incomplete size, so I tried again in a few minutes with the same problem.

Just now I tried downloading again and it WORKED. I still got "Unknown time remaining.", but with speeds where more normal for web servers, ~75 kps, and it successfully download after a couple minutes. So I'm happy. I'm gonna try downloading a few more.

Thanks,
TimoZi
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2011, 01:44:17 PM »

The truth is... this site IS frsutrating!

Just now it took me about 10 minutes to download a comic.  I signed in, I got an error message.  I signed out, signed back in, got another error message.  I used "Search", found what I wanted, tried to download, ANOTHER error message.  Then I signed out, signed in, and di ti again.  ANOTHER error message.  then I used "Search" again, tried to download... THIS time it worked.

However, it didn't allow me choose WHERE top download it, and I had a heck of a time moving the resulting download to a "proper" directory.  Also, thank goodness I have a copy of "7-Zip", as my version of Win-Zip is utterly useless with CBR files.
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2011, 04:41:23 PM »

FYI.  I can't log into the download side and I have to have a couple of goes to log in here as well.  Don't want to give you additional problems but thought you should know.  Fortunately, I don't download much and I'm happy I can still post stuff.  Mind you, I think my pc is on it's last legs.
Oh, I remember, I had to use Opera for a while there to get on - I'll give that a try.  Have to be tomorrow now 'cos we're away to have our dinner.
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2011, 04:54:04 PM »

Prof choosing where to download is a function of your browser has nothing to do with our side. Not sure why the site appears to be giving several problems. Hope to have new internal operating system some time soon
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2011, 08:03:25 AM »

I used Opera this morning and had no problems at all with log in and a download and I logged in here first time and quickly.  Don't know why I'm having so many problems with Firefox.  But it's not GAC.at fault
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.