in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,818 books
 New: 193 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Does anyone own DR. NEMESIS' Ace Magazines appearances?

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Does anyone own DR. NEMESIS' Ace Magazines appearances?  (Read 1080 times)

jephyork

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: jephyork
message icon
Does anyone own DR. NEMESIS' Ace Magazines appearances?
« on: March 06, 2011, 12:07:26 AM »

Hi all.  My name's Jeph York and I'm a freelance editor/researcher/writer for Marvel Comics' trade paperback department.

A few years back, Marvel "adopted" Dr. Nemesis, a golden age character from Ace Magazines who had fallen into the public domain.  They had him join the X-Men's Science Team, and he's proven surprisingly popular.  I pitched an idea to Marvel for a TPB collection reprinting all of Dr. Nemesis' Golden Age appearances.  They're tentatively interested, but they'd like more info.

They want me to create a "research map" for my proposed TPB -- which basically answers the questions, "what issues, how many pages, and are there any 2-page spreads?"  (That becomes an important factor when laying out the actual book ... gotta make sure any spreads are published on facing pages!)

Dr. Nemesis appeared in:

Lighting Comics #6
Lightning Comics vol. 2 #1-6
Lightning Comics vol. 3 #1
Super-Mystery Comics vol. 3 #3-4 & 6
Super-Mystery Comics vol. 4 #1

Scans of five of those twelve issues are hosted here, and I found three more on a similar site.  (Awesome!)  However, I need a bit more info on the last four issues ... does anyone own Lightning Comics vol.1 #6, vol.2 #4 & 6, and Super-Mystery Comics vol.3 #4?  If so, could you tell me how many pages each Dr. Nemesis story is ... whether there are any 2-page spreads ... and if so, what pages do they occur on?

Going a hypothetical step further for a second ... assuming that Marvel agrees to my proposal, they'll need source material to print from.  Which means hi-res scans of the original comics.  If anyone owns them -- ANY of the twelve listed above -- would you be willing to help us out with scans?

From the info I have, Lightning Comics v2 #1 and v3 #1, and Super-Mystery v3 #3, 6 & v4 #1 were scanned by someone called "bhcomics".  Lightning v2 #2-3 & 5 (which I found on a similar site) were scanned by "dsdaboss".  Are either of them posters here?  I'm hoping they still own the issues, and might be willing to help.

If anyone *else* owns them and wants to volunteer their services, please feel free to speak up!  I'd need 600 dpi .tif scans, which will end up being pretty big files -- but I'd only need the cover and Dr. Nemesis story from each issue; only around 7-11 pages total.

If anyone would like to help out, please get in touch with me!  If I come at Marvel with a completed research map *and* a list of issues that I can readily provide scans for, they'll be much more likely to make the book a reality.  And I'd love to see that happen.  :-)  (I'm trying to convince them to print the pages unrestored, like the two Fletcher Hanks volumes that Fantagraphics published ... all yellow and off-register.  Mmm, pulpy goodness.)

Thanks, guys!  Can't wait to hear back from you!  Feel free to either post here, or drop me an e-mail at jephyork@yahoo.com.

-Jeph York
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.