in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,820 books
 New: 189 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Lawrence Watt-Evans on Pre-code horror comics

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Lawrence Watt-Evans on Pre-code horror comics  (Read 3124 times)

cimmerian32

• VIP
message icon
Lawrence Watt-Evans on Pre-code horror comics
« on: February 09, 2007, 07:32:07 PM »

http://www.watt-evans.com/theotherguys.html

This article (brought to my attention a while ago by Lincoln Yaco), is a very concise, thoroughly-researched, well thought out history of pre-code horror.  Thought I would share it here, as it is essential reading for anyone with an interest in pre-code horror.

ya'll enjoy,
Cimm
ip icon Logged

misappear

• VIP
message icon
Re: Lawrence Watt-Evans on Pre-code horror comics
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2007, 02:58:49 PM »

Cimm,

Thanks for the link.  I read this article, and while I'm not a fan of Watt-Evans attempts to be folksy in tone, I do credit the piece for its exhaustive lists of publishers and titles relating to 1950's horror comics.  The article is caught somewhere between a fan's retrospective and comics scholarship, but never really achieves either.  I'd like to see more scholarship and less fan writing, but it's just a personal thing. 

I've recently read two books which also extensively cover the comics of the 1950's:  Comic Book Nation by Bradford Wright and Comic Books and America 1945-1954 examine the medium from a mass culture persepctive.  Both are heavily annotated with references to specific comics and their stories. 

Also, anyone wanting to read Seduction of the Innocent (now there's a way to kill a Sunday!) can refer to http://www.pennydreadfull.net/soti/soti_chapt01/soti_chapt01.html

Wertham's book was not originally annotated.  Whoever put together the above link's presentation went through the trouble of inserting many of the illustrations Wertham refers to, but does not credit in his book.  People not wanting to sift through a couple of hundred pages of psuedo-science should know that Wertham's basic claim was (in paraphrase) since juvenille delinquents read comic books, comics books must cause juvenille delinquency.  I'd like to think that such weak premises could never gain popularity in today's world, but I've read enough about Creationism to question our society's total enlightenment. 

On a related note, I'm always interested in obtaining any good books or reference pieces examining comics as mass/popular culture.  If anyone has any recommendations, I would really appreciate a heads up.
ip icon Logged

Aratak

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2007, 12:10:47 AM »

I certainly enjoyed the article. It really points out the significance of the ACG titles that we've all been posting and enjoying lately.

My favorite book on comics and their creators is The Comic Book Heroes: The First History of Modern Comic Books - From the Silver Age to the Present by Gerard Jones and Will Jacobs. It's only Silver Age onwards, but their observations on the industry really put my years of enjoyment in perspective. I've read the book cover-to-cover at least three times. I'd love to pick up his Men of Tomorrow, which deals with the Golden Age, concentrating on Siegel and Shuster. I'll have to do that, yessir.
ip icon Logged

boox909

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2007, 08:50:26 AM »

Amazing that SoI can still be obtained from various libraries!

I have a library copy on my shelf that I do not have to return
until this summer.

B.
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.