in house dollar bill thumbnail
In-House Image
 Total: 42,817 books
 New: 194 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Any Experts on Obsolete PCs out there?

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Any Experts on Obsolete PCs out there?  (Read 1598 times)

Captain Audio

• VIP
message icon
Any Experts on Obsolete PCs out there?
« on: October 19, 2011, 07:32:07 PM »

I was given a Tandy laptop PC years ago for use as a film prop, something viewers wouldn't recognise so it would pass for something of the future.

Anyway I found the Tandy has its original OS floppy disc still in the slot.
I'd been told earlier that if its batteries could be recharged, or new equivalent batteries found, it might be restored to service.
This Tandy had belonged to a reporter who'd used it to transmit stories back to the newspaper while in the field. I was also given the old style mobile phone outfit they'd used, also obsolete I suppose, but looks intact.
ip icon Logged

Menticide

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
Re: Any Experts on Obsolete PCs out there?
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2011, 05:50:03 AM »

I was given a Tandy laptop PC years ago for use as a film prop, something viewers wouldn't recognise so it would pass for something of the future.

Anyway I found the Tandy has its original OS floppy disc still in the slot.
I'd been told earlier that if its batteries could be recharged, or new equivalent batteries found, it might be restored to service.
This Tandy had belonged to a reporter who'd used it to transmit stories back to the newspaper while in the field. I was also given the old style mobile phone outfit they'd used, also obsolete I suppose, but looks intact.

Do you know what model it is? If the floppy isn't corrupted you should be able to get it to do something, but a lot of those old floppies that are filled with age related bugs now. Even if you can get a charge into the battery, or replace it, I'd be willing to bet it won't hold a charge anymore.
ip icon Logged

Captain Audio

• VIP
message icon
Re: Any Experts on Obsolete PCs out there?
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2011, 06:38:19 PM »

I'll have to move some storage bins around to find which one I stored the Tandy in, been planning to do this anyway as I'm going to set up my old backup PC to see if it still works, and plug in my old printer since my combo scanner printer still scans but no longer prints.

IIRC its the earliest model put out by Tandy. It was mainly used as a word processor and to transmit stories by a telephone modem, which apparently could work through the mobile phone.
The mobile phone is mounted in a large brief case, very retro.
Both would make good sci fi film props, and would also be good as props for films set in the 80's or early 90's. 
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.