in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,819 books
 New: 188 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

St John Publishing

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: St John Publishing  (Read 3369 times)

blackshade

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: blackshade
message icon
St John Publishing
« on: March 11, 2008, 06:34:34 AM »

I have a CBR to add to the St John's section. Could someone here upload it for me? Sorry to be a bother, I've had a little trouble uploading since the site went back online.

http://www.4shared.com/file/40427195/95c80b1/wack.html

The title is called "Whack" and it was St John's answer to EC's Mad. Artwork by Joe Kubert amongst others, published around 1954. Interesting to compare the two styles, St John's humor wasn't quite as vicious as EC's. 31 pages including the front cover; missing interior ads, indicia and back cover.

Please enjoy. Ciao, B.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2008, 06:42:00 AM by blackshade »
ip icon Logged

Aussie500

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: Aussie500
message icon
Re: St John Publishing
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2008, 09:43:05 AM »

Thanks for the link blackshade, l assume since it is incomplete it is Whack 02 then or is it Whack 03? l thought we already had the first 2 issues, but l will download it anyway just in case, we might not have them.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2008, 09:48:57 AM by aussie500 »
ip icon Logged

blackshade

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: blackshade
message icon
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2008, 05:59:47 AM »

Hi Aussie, thanks for getting back to me. I didn't see any issues of 'Whack' listed in the St John's section; is it possible I have the publisher wrong?
ip icon Logged

Geo (R.I.P.)

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2008, 02:12:58 AM »

Thanks for the link blackshade, l assume since it is incomplete it is Whack 02 then or is it Whack 03? l thought we already had the first 2 issues, but l will download it anyway just in case, we might not have them.

Aussie, it looks to be Whack 02 by the "Dec" listed on the cover. Whack was published Oct. 1953 (#01) through May 1954 (#3) by St. John Publishing Co. The first issue is listed as a 3-D style. Also Kubert art was in all three issues.
ip icon Logged

Aussie500

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: Aussie500
message icon
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2008, 12:48:35 PM »

Unfortunately not all the comics have been renamed yet after our mishap and moved to their proper categories, you have the right publisher though.  Issue 2 has Bing the merciful on the cover, playing golf. Issue three has what looks like a take off of Prince Valiant, who is now Prince Scallion. l cannot really recall anything significant about the first issue, but it did have the 3D glasses on the cover down the bottom and 'World's first!" up the top
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.