in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,820 books
 New: 189 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Darwination's Uploads

Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18

topic icon Author Topic: Darwination's Uploads  (Read 150672 times)

darwination

• VIP
message icon
Re: Darwination's Uploads
« Reply #400 on: February 13, 2012, 12:33:50 AM »

New Romances 011 (1952-05.Standard) (JVJ-Two-Dar)

Jim's index lists the artists as Alex Toth, John Celardo, Paul Robinson, Nina Albright, and Vernon Greene.

The scan is available here:
http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?cm2pill6ecrq2r3
ip icon Logged

josemas

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #401 on: February 13, 2012, 10:47:09 AM »

Thanks again to you and JVJ for another nice romance comic. 

Always love to see more Toth and am glad to have the art IDs to help sharpen my art spotting skills.

I might point out that whoever applied color to the B/W photo used on the cover obviously didn't know that Liz Taylor had "violet eyes to die for."

Best

Joe
ip icon Logged

darwination

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #402 on: February 19, 2012, 08:34:55 PM »

New Romances 012 (1952-07.Standard) (JVJ-Two-Dar)

available here:
http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?i10cs2d2g3tq4w1

From the JVJ collection, thanks to Twobyfour for the raws.  Featuring "I Need Your Love" in which a proud tomboy can't find a date for the senior prom, wants to be kissed for the first time, and must outmaneuver her sister for the neighbor boy's affections.  Also, "Wrong Kind of Man" wherein a pair of fiancees face divergent career paths, she gets a promotion and he gets fired in a tough economy.  He can't find a job and postpones their marriage, unwilling to live on her capable salary.  He finds a job in AR and expects her to leave her career behind?  Can career and love co-exist?!  There's "My Silent Heart" in which a young swimmer gets clubbed over the head by a clumsy oarsman. Twice.  It must be love.  Lastly, "My Guilty Heart".  Maybe they could have changed the title a little more from the earlier story, hmm.   A whirlwind romance is too good to be true, as Jennifer can't stand living with her man's brain-damaged little brother that he looks after.  She demands the brother be sent to an institution, whoa.  Enter God's Wrath in the form of a tornado, can love find a way??  More stories of 50s anguishing romance within...
ip icon Logged

josemas

message icon
« Reply #403 on: February 20, 2012, 02:21:17 PM »

I looked the book over and was only able to ID one of the artists (The second Celardo piece) before getting to JVJ's art ID card.  I even missed the Sekowsky one pager and I almost always spot him.  I guess I'm just not feelin' my Wheaties today.  Sigh.

Anyway thanks to all concerned for another piece of romance. :)

Best

Joe
ip icon Logged

darwination

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #404 on: February 23, 2012, 04:47:16 AM »

New Romances 013 (1952-09.Standard) (JVJ-Two-Dar)

with thanks to JVJ for letting us scan his comics and to Twoby for the raws!

available here:
http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?j1q2efzo0nq8r85

Index:

ip icon Logged

josemas

message icon
« Reply #405 on: February 23, 2012, 10:10:38 AM »

Another interesting issue. 

I found Cardy's story a bit too reliant on talking heads (maybe he felt stifled by a pretty text-heavy  script). 

I liked Peppe's inks on Sekowsky.  Hope to see more of this team.

Those Paul Robinson (not an artist I am familiar with) one-pagers have a nice light touch to them.  I can picture him doing a good job with teen-humor books.

I have a hard time identifying Sid Greene's work from this period with his sixties art which I am more familiar with.  Maybe it's because someone else is inking his work here that its throwing me.

Anyway thanks to all concerned for this latest goodie!

Best

Joe
ip icon Logged

darwination

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #406 on: February 28, 2012, 02:37:54 PM »

New Romances 014 (1952-12.Standard) (JVJ-Two-Dar)

A nice issue!  Thanks to JVJ for the comic and to Twoby for the raws.

Jim's Index

Sample.  It looks like the opening to a horror movie but belongs to that most common formula from the love pulps and romance comics wherein a girl meets a dashing new suitor and must choose between an exciting new man and her humdrum steady.  Of course, the new guy usually turns out to be a real jerk...

available here:
http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?t540h1g4db8lkud
ip icon Logged

josemas

message icon
« Reply #407 on: February 28, 2012, 03:26:11 PM »

Another nice lineup of artists.  It's been interesting seeing Violet (Valerie) Barclay's work for Standard.  For so long I had her so aligned with Marvel/Timely in my mind that I never really thought about her working elsewhere.

Thanks to all concerned for this

Joe
ip icon Logged

darwination

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #408 on: February 29, 2012, 07:23:57 PM »

New Romances 015 (1953-03.Standard) (JVJ-Two-Dar)

Thanks to JVJ for the comic and Twobyfour for the raws.

Jim's index:

available here:
http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?xt13t8ztx1dn9uo

ip icon Logged

josemas

message icon
« Reply #409 on: March 01, 2012, 08:53:10 AM »

Ah I see we have an inker on Sekowsky's pencils noted here.  I assume that it's Gene Fawcette that JVJ has noted since he was popping up in a number of Standard titles in the 1950s.

Vince Colletta- this one-pager is fairly early work for him in comics.  Vinnie's gotta be just about the most prolific artist in the romance genre too with work appearing in one romance title or another consistently from 1952-1974 for a variety of publishers including Marvel, Charlton, DC, Harvey, Youthful and Standard.   

Thanks to all for this 'un

Joe
ip icon Logged

darwination

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #410 on: March 01, 2012, 02:44:12 PM »

Vinnie's one of the more often vilified artists in comics (by Kirby fans), but I really like some of his romance work.  I'm not too familiar with the silver age romances, but I've seen some great stories from him in the Atlas love books.  I didn't realize that he got his start with Standard (I never know what to call this company).
ip icon Logged

josemas

message icon
« Reply #411 on: March 02, 2012, 04:48:48 AM »

Hy Eisman was one of my teachers when I attended the Kubert School and he worked with Vinnie producing the art for these romance stories a bit later (c. late 50s into the 60s) primarily for Charlton and Atlas/Marvel.  He had various funny stories of how they took shortcuts in churning out the stuff for low paying Charlton and always vigorously defended Vinnie when any of the students got too carried away in "criticizing" Vinnie (which did at times get a bit too personal).
Between Hy's defenses and Vinnie helping out Tex Blaisdell (one of the more popular teachers at the school) in getting some work students shifted their Colletta criticisms to carefully worded commentary on specific works of his and dropped all personal attacks.

Best

Joe
ip icon Logged
Comic Book Plus In-House Image

darwination

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #412 on: March 06, 2012, 02:22:32 PM »

New Romances 016 (1953-06.Standard) (JVJ-Two-Dar)

Continuing with New Romances, thanks to Jim for letting us scan his books and to Twoby for the raws  :)

Available here:
http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?06f56i9n5588ilb
ip icon Logged

darwination

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #413 on: March 07, 2012, 06:27:31 AM »

New Romances 017 (1953-08.Standard) (JVJ-Two-Dar)

Love marches on!  Four more issues to a complete series. Thanks to JVJ and Twoby for the comic and raws.

Index:

Sample, a nice splash page from Alex Toth:

Available here:
http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?qyw3rrr8u60zjhn
ip icon Logged

josemas

message icon
« Reply #414 on: March 07, 2012, 11:42:19 AM »

A couple of very nice issues these two.   Lots of great Toth art and some nice stories by Sekowsky, Saaf and Cardy too.  Plus art appearances by a couple of the ladies of the GA- Ann Brewster and Violet Barclay (I particularity liked her inks on the Sekowsky one-pager).

Thanks again to one and all for making these available.

Joe
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #415 on: March 07, 2012, 03:27:21 PM »

A hearty thank you from me also.  I know so little about romance comics and these are real eye openers.  I'm beginning to see the light.  Lovely stuff.
ip icon Logged

josemas

message icon
« Reply #416 on: March 08, 2012, 11:35:30 AM »

Paw,

I gotta admit as a kid I wouldn't have touched a romance comic to read unless I had absolutely exhausted every other possibility but as years went by and I got older I started appreciating artists and began occasionally looking through some and found that a number of them contained some really fine art.

Seems that there are so many JVJ romance comics getting scanned lately that I can't keep up with 'em all. 

These titles from Standard are especially interesting because it was at Standard that ALex Toth finally got a chance to let loose and mature as an artist after years of being stifled by editors like Julius Schwartz at DC.  Standard's art director, Mike Peppe, seems to have been particularly enamored with what Toth was doing then and inked a number of Alex's stories himself.
Other artists working for Standard at that time, such as Mike Sekowsky and Ross Andru for example, seem to have picked up on what Toth was doing and started incorporating his approach into their own work at this time too, which, IMHO, improved their work from that period onward.

Best

Joe 
ip icon Logged

darwination

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #417 on: March 12, 2012, 02:29:55 AM »

Romance comics are where all the drawings of girls are.  ;)

I'd hoped to finish out New Romances this weekend, but, alas, it didn't happen.  Ah well, here's to lazy weekends.  Thanks to JVJ for his books and Twoby for the raws.  Sadly, we managed to let the back cover on 18 get away without a scan, so if anybody has the issue handy please do feel free to add it.

New Romances 018 (1953-10.Standard) (no bc) (JVJ-Two-Dar)

New Romances 019 (1953-12.Standard) (JVJ-2x-Dar)

They're in here:
http://www.mediafire.com/?2touqet2t35v9
ip icon Logged

josemas

message icon
« Reply #418 on: March 12, 2012, 02:33:06 PM »

Thank you all for another couple nice doses of romance! 

Issue #18 has a particularly nice nice Toth story.  The Colletta 7-pager in the same issue is also interesting as we see him using some Toth-isms in his art.

Best

Joe
ip icon Logged

darwination

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #419 on: March 29, 2012, 04:37:12 AM »

New Romances 020 (1954-03.Standard) (JVJ-Two-Dar)

Thanks to JVJ for the comic and Twoby for the raws, one more to go!

available here:
http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?bvzzc5t6d8pxnz9
ip icon Logged

josemas

message icon
« Reply #420 on: March 29, 2012, 09:43:33 AM »

Another nice issue.  Thanks to all for getting it scanned and available for our enjoyment.

Btw, can anyone tell me what the asterisk after the names of certain artists means on Jim's card?

Curious

Joe
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #421 on: March 29, 2012, 01:38:03 PM »

ip icon Logged

josemas

message icon
« Reply #422 on: March 29, 2012, 02:33:38 PM »

Thanks Narf.

Joe
ip icon Logged

darwination

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #423 on: April 20, 2012, 04:39:25 AM »

New Romances 021 (1954-05.Standard) (JVJ-Two-Dar)

Big thanks to JVJ for letting us scanners at his great collection and to Twoby for the raws.  Series complete!

available here:
http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?tcej9k2qawsfw9p

ip icon Logged

josemas

message icon
« Reply #424 on: April 20, 2012, 02:30:41 PM »

Thanks for another nice bit of romance there Dar.

These Standard books sure had some pretty consistently good art in them during this period.

Best

Joe
ip icon Logged
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.