in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,782 books
 New: 187 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Alternate Scan Software (for HewletPackard)

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Alternate Scan Software (for HewletPackard)  (Read 2744 times)

kcor

message icon
Alternate Scan Software (for HewletPackard)
« on: April 16, 2008, 04:42:13 PM »

The other thread about scanning "styles" makes me think to ask if anyone can suggest an alternative scanning software.

I have a HP Scanjet 7400C (unlikely to get a different scanner until it busts) and was using HP PrecisionScan Pro software, but when they (IT) wrecked my computer and built me a new one theoretically identical, I've never been able to get the software to communicate with the scanner again.

Although we may be able to accomplish this with some tweaking, if it doesn't work out I would like to know:

What scanning software, that would run my scanner, would do the same job as Precisionscan Pro; or even be a better one?

I scan both vintage comics and original art (sometimes paintings).
ip icon Logged

Aussie500

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: Aussie500
message icon
Re: Alternate Scan Software (for HewletPackard)
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2008, 06:13:13 PM »

You can use any software for editing, but you might need to update your scanner driver, or possibly the driver is not installed. Often if you change the USB slot windows will go off and say it is new software, even though it has already been installed, it will install whatever driver it thinks is the best. This will not always be the driver that it is meant to be though, and it might not be the one that works best with your scanner. You could try installing uninstalling the scanner and installing the driver that you got with the scanner or preferably looking on the HP site for the latest driver for your model, make sure to take note of the installation instructions.
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareCategory?product=59553&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en

As to editing programs Adobe Photoshop is meant to be the best, but l prefer Paint Shop Pro, neither will work  with your scanner unless you have it installed properly.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2008, 06:17:46 PM by aussie500 »
ip icon Logged

kcor

message icon
Thnx, aussie500
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2008, 01:27:54 PM »

Your comments re: USB slots are similar to thoughts we've had. One thing we haven't tried is installing a scsi slot and using a scsi cable--others have had success with that approach but curious to tell one wall we run up against here is getting budget for simplest things. We've tried all the combos of uninstall/install/patches etc. we can think of. But thanks for the link.

Been using the built-in Windows scanner-operator (WIA something-something) and it's pretty limited.

Conversationally, I do use PS CS2 with allied Adobe applications, although I have used some Corel applications in the past.
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission and Disclaimer: The mission of Comic Book Plus is to present completely free of charge, and to the widest possible audience, popular cultural works of the past. These records are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They are historical documents reflecting the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We at Comic Book Plus do not endorse the views expressed in these, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

We aim to house only content in the Public Domain. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, then please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further.