in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 43,472 books
 New: 226 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Rez's comics

Pages: [1] 2

topic icon Author Topic: Rez's comics  (Read 7259 times)

rez

• Past Member
message icon
Rez's comics
« on: April 23, 2008, 04:00:51 AM »

I was wanting to add to the kitty for being able to use this cool site.
I just grabbed a box and here's some of what I have available...
Plasticman #41 &#47-Quality Comics Pub.
GI Joe #16 &#31 -  Ziff-Davis
Ghostly Weird #122 - A Star Comic (LB Cole cover)
This Magazine is Haunted #16 CDC (Ditko cover)
Weird Horrors #7 -St.John
Strange Stories From Another World #2
Tom Corbett Space Cadet #7 -Dell
Man in Black #1 -A Thrill Adventure
KO Komics #1
Space Adventures presents RockyJones SpaceRanger #15- CDC
UnknownWorlds #1 -ACG
Superior Stories #1 -Nesbit
National Comics #36- Quality Comics Group
Hot Rods and Racing Cars #1- CDC
Feature Comics #77 - Quality Comics Group
Captain Aero Comics #11
Dollman #15 -Super Comics
Sheena #4 & #8 - Fiction House
Sparky Watts #5

I haven't read that FAQ section yet on what comics cannot be given so I don't now if Boy Commandos is still considered A DC copyright or not.
Same with EC and Marvel titles.

ip icon Logged

Aussie500

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: Aussie500
message icon
Rez's comics
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2008, 04:49:04 AM »

Well any DC or Marvel property is out, its not going to suddenly change publishers, and all Marvel and DC copyrights were renewed. l do not really have time at the moment to check through the list to see what is scanned already, but all but the super comics one look OK, the super comics reprint would be to late for us. l do not really see how this is connected with darkmark's uploads though so l will move your post rez. Just check that the publishing dates are all 50's at the latest, 1955 for Dell comics.
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
Re: Rez's comics
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2008, 11:49:59 AM »

KO and Sparky Watt first please ;D
ip icon Logged

De_Maupassant

message icon
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2008, 09:17:13 PM »

Weird Horrors #7 sounds scrumptious!
ip icon Logged

JonTheScanner

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2008, 11:58:23 PM »

These would be my first choice: 
Plasticman #41 &#47-Quality Comics Pub. 
National Comics #36- Quality Comics Group
Feature Comics #77 - Quality Comics Group

Unknown Worlds #1 -ACG  <= has been scanned I can upload
Sparky Watts #5   <= has been scanned I can upload

In fact I'll be doing several Sparky's in the near future.
ip icon Logged

rez

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2008, 02:20:36 AM »

When I learn how to do it I'll do them all. Looks as if there is quite a learning curve involved for we greenhorns who are not so acclimated to puterhood.
Pray for me, once I go in I want to be able to come out. Probably should pack a lunch or two.
ip icon Logged

Aussie500

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2008, 01:09:39 PM »

Unknown Worlds #1 being 1960 is to late for us l am afraid. Whenever you are ready to try scanning rez l am sure there are plenty around here who could give you advice.
ip icon Logged

rez

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2008, 04:14:58 AM »

Ok,
to All.
What I'm trying to do is a run thru a test, scanning just a cover to try and iron out the process for uploading to here.
1.Scanned a cover.
2.Saved it in .png
3.Changed it to a .zip file using Winzip.
4.Placed said zip file in it's own folder titled comics.(being detailed here)
5. Did the Start>Run>typed in cmd
6.typed in the MyDocu/comics etc stuff as listed in FACs 1.7 #2
7. I think I messed up in the typing of 'ren*.**.cbz where I don't know what to do after typing that in.
I just hit the upper right x which exited the window thus leaving the zip file unchanged.
Seeking direction, correction or election on the error of my ways if some soul might see fit to guide this blinded pilgrim back on the path.
ip icon Logged

octal

message icon
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2008, 06:06:25 AM »

Hi Rez,

I'm not familiar with the instructions you mention, where are they located? Not knowing what they say, I hope I've interpreted your questions correctly.

.. 2.Saved it in .png ...

I'm not sure what comic readers support the png format. To ensure compatibility, you probably should save the images as jpg files.

5. Did the Start>Run>typed in cmd
6.typed in the MyDocu/comics etc stuff as listed in FACs 1.7 #2
7. I think I messed up in the typing of 'ren*.**.cbz where I don't know what to do after typing that in.
I just hit the upper right x which exited the window thus leaving the zip file unchanged.
Seeking direction, correction or election on the error of my ways if some soul might see fit to guide this blinded pilgrim back on the path.

It may be easier for you to rename the zip file extension in Windows Explorer. Right click on the file name and chose the rename option and then change the extension by typing over it. Or, if you left click the file name twice, but not too fast, you can change the file name from there.

If you are going to get serious about renaming files, there are freeware utilities available. I use one called "Bulk Rename Utility" that works great.

octal
« Last Edit: April 25, 2008, 06:09:39 AM by octal »
ip icon Logged

kusunoki

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2008, 11:15:37 AM »

"The Rename" is also a great free file renaming application.

http://www.onlythebestfreeware.com/program.asp?program_id=64
ip icon Logged

rez

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2008, 06:04:12 PM »

octal, I don't know how to reply to a post made in a thread not at the end of the thread.

You said    'I'm not familiar with the instructions you mention, where are they located?'

They are in the FAC folder here on site under listing title of 'How to make digital comics'.
ip icon Logged

Aussie500

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2008, 10:14:00 PM »

Scan the page at 300dpi edit it to so that the page is level and the edges even, reduce to 150dpi (or 200) and a standard 1024 width (the width most of us would use for full screen reading) for all the pages, save as a jpg in a folder with the comics name and number. Number the pages in such a way that they run in order ie: 00fc, 00ifc, 01, 02 you can prefix the page number with a shortened version of the comic name or just use numbers. If you need to save the page before editing it png, bmp or tiff would be preferred so as not to loose any quality. Once you have your folder of jpgs either rar or zip the folder up, you can leave it like that and upload them or you can change the file extension. For a rar file change it to cbr and for a zip archive you would rename to cbz for them to automatically open in CDisplay. Test the newly made scan with your comic reader just to make sure the pages read in the right order, and everything works OK, then upload it to the ftp and announce it in this section so l know to move it. When you are ready send me a PM and l will give you the ftp details.

There is a digital comic help section a bit further down the forum with some instructions.
http://goldenagecomics.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,11.0.html

If you want to reply a particular post just use the quote button (located top right hand side) for that post, it will put the quote in your reply. Or just use the name of the poster in your reply as you did.

« Last Edit: April 25, 2008, 10:24:28 PM by aussie500 »
ip icon Logged
Comic Book Plus In-House Image

rez

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2008, 04:09:06 AM »

Ok, I have scanned and loaded a book into a jpeg file and will zip it.
What comes next?
ip icon Logged

Aussie500

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2008, 05:48:03 AM »

Since you are using zip, you can either leave it as a zip archive, with the comics name and number, or you can change the file extension to cbz, then send me a PM asking for ftp access and l will give you the details to upload it. How familiar are you with using an ftp rez?
ip icon Logged

rez

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2008, 05:58:42 AM »

The term ftp is totally alien to me but i am willing to learn.
For right now it would be best to leave it as a zip file as I'm just a step away from choking.
I looked into changing to a .cbz and it started getting a bit too complex for my tastes at the moment.

"send me a PM asking for ftp access"... man, I'd have to know what a PM is.

be getting there
ip icon Logged

Aussie500

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2008, 06:44:50 AM »

PM=Personal Message, under each members name you will see an icon that looks like a speech bubble, next to the one that looks like a letter, this is for sending a message to that member. l have created your folder on the ftp already as l had an idea you might not have had much practice using ftp's. There is no hurry, so relax and take your time, you are just starting to learn these things, we do not want to scare you off.  ;)
« Last Edit: April 27, 2008, 06:46:34 AM by aussie500 »
ip icon Logged

rez

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2008, 06:59:31 AM »

I don't know where to look for this folder or what the ftp is.
I have a zip file of a book. Outside of that I know nothing of the next steps so I will need a simplified and detailed instruction of what to do.

be green
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2008, 01:16:00 PM »

You will need an FTP program.  I have used ftpcommander for free for years. 
http://internet-soft.com/ftpcomm.htm
Very easy to use.  Once you get the login information here you can ftp very easily.  The left side of the screen will be a directory of your computer to upload files from.  The right side will be where you upload them to.  You will click NEW SERVER and use the information Aussie gives you to open the connection.  You already have a folder REZ there waiting for you  to put lots of good stuff in  :) 
ip icon Logged

rez

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2008, 01:27:42 PM »

Ghostly Weird Stories #122 by Star Publications 1954 is now on the FTP site in the cyber fella rez's folder.
ip icon Logged

Aussie500

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2008, 02:09:29 PM »

Thanks rez, for the great scans. l notice you seem to be struggling to settle on a method of getting the comic info in the file, if you just put it in text file CDisplay will open it, it does not have to be a jpg.
ip icon Logged

rez

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2008, 03:38:22 PM »

I'll think on this a while and see if I can discover what text file is and try something different next book.
ip icon Logged

darwination

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2008, 03:52:43 PM »

Great first scan, Rez.  Thanks for this!  What a freaky cover.
ip icon Logged

Yoc

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2008, 03:55:02 PM »

Nice work Rez!
And aussie is correct. A simple text file; "info.txt" for instance - works fine in CDisplay.

-Yoc

Thanks rez, for the great scans. l notice you seem to be struggling to settle on a method of getting the comic info in the file, if you just put it in text file CDisplay will open it, it does not have to be a jpg.
ip icon Logged

rez

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2008, 03:50:20 AM »

ok, newbie question to any.

I'm scanning using a little Canon scanner circa thereabouts2001 with ArcSoft PhotoStudio2000 in a 2001 ME puter renewed with an XP Pro program and only have .PSF  .JPG  .TIF  .PNG  .PCX  .TGA  .FPX  and .EPS as choices in the scroll down window when saving.

Thus I saved in .JPG since there is no .TXT.

So, I'm fishing for data on how to save in the  .TXT    textfile.

HEY! Y'all quit gigglin' at me now! 
ip icon Logged

John C

message icon
« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2008, 11:43:22 AM »

You might be better off trying something that works in T(e)XT, like Word, Write, Notepad, etc.
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1] 2

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.