in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,782 books
 New: 187 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Well, I hafta ask...

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Well, I hafta ask...  (Read 5777 times)

rez

• Past Member
message icon
Well, I hafta ask...
« on: May 01, 2008, 01:36:24 PM »

How did this site first originate and what propelled the founders to begin such a labor of love?

Coming in here as a fresh greenhorn right after the aftermath of some type of files meltdown on the site I have little recognition of who the oldster anchors of the site are.

Compliments to the powers that be here for presenting such a fine comic site that carrys a comfortable feeling of comradeship amongst the posters.
ip icon Logged

rez

• Past Member
message icon
Re: Well, I hafta ask...
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2008, 01:38:53 PM »

Wish there were an edit button for posts already made to correct the spelling you just noticed as the page was being whisked away. :D
ip icon Logged

John C

message icon
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2008, 03:52:18 PM »

Uhm...There is.  Upper right of each message (of yours).  You can modify or delete yours, or quote anybody's.
ip icon Logged

rez

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2008, 07:29:03 PM »

duh

will wonders never cease.
ip icon Logged

cimmerian32

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2008, 07:14:02 AM »

Serj and Aussie500 are the ones to thank for the site itself...  the scans are a labour of love by scanners from around the world...  glad you dig what we do  :P

Cimm
ip icon Logged

Aussie500

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: Aussie500
message icon
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2008, 01:30:29 PM »

l have a shocking memory, l do remember discussing the possibilities with Serj and zog, completely forgot about it and then a few months later l am suddenly one of the admin of a very nice GA comic site.  ;)
ip icon Logged
Comic Book Plus In-House Image

rez

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2008, 02:42:16 PM »

So serj and zog had the founding idea and pursued it?

So the three of yous got together and pooled your collective scans for the original database to get the show off the ground and up and running?

Looking thru the old 'introduction tell us about yourselves' threads makes me think there are many collections waiting with owners willing to scan and add into the FTP.

Is the site meeting you alls expectations?
ip icon Logged

rez

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2008, 01:58:05 AM »

hello.
ip icon Logged

Aussie500

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: Aussie500
message icon
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2008, 10:06:38 AM »

Well l doubt either of the others is going to reply, all l wanted was a site were golden age scans could be collected and freely available for all. The way how we usually shared scans was not really suitable for GA comics unless you could get a full collection. This way we are more likely to get more comics scanned and hopefully eventually collect all the scans that have already been done. It was a bit more work than l was expecting it to be, but l am happy with the result.
ip icon Logged

rez

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2008, 04:07:55 PM »

This way we are more likely to get more comics scanned and hopefully eventually collect all the scans that have already been done.

I can support that mission and consider it a healthy aim for the site.

Thanks for replying.

Cheers
ip icon Logged

Zog

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2008, 07:04:15 PM »

I'm sorry for not being around as much as I should.
Serj and myself hated the people that were selling comic scans, If you hunt around this site, you'll find one or two posts from the people/person I'm talking about.

Also we knew that zcult would come under pressure one day. and that has happened.
Serj is not a huge GA fan, however I am, but I don't have the technical skills to run a site like this, or set it up, Serj has those skills in abundance.
;D

ip icon Logged

rez

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2008, 09:34:56 PM »

Long Live Serg and Zog.

Serj and myself hated the people that were selling comic scans,
ip icon Logged

octal

message icon
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2008, 10:35:52 PM »

Long Live Serg and Zog.

Seconded!

octal
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission and Disclaimer: The mission of Comic Book Plus is to present completely free of charge, and to the widest possible audience, popular cultural works of the past. These records are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They are historical documents reflecting the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We at Comic Book Plus do not endorse the views expressed in these, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

We aim to house only content in the Public Domain. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, then please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further.