in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,817 books
 New: 194 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

From a soldier's foot locker...

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: From a soldier's foot locker...  (Read 2661 times)

abba anderson

message icon
From a soldier's foot locker...
« on: March 15, 2012, 11:41:28 PM »

I've inherited some "naughty" comix, some home made drawings, constructions, ...some clippings...from my grandfather and father (circa 1918 and 1943). Can anyone point me to a collector who might be interested in acquiring such items? Thanks in advance.
ip icon Logged

josemas

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
Re: From a soldier's foot locker...
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2012, 12:45:25 PM »

I've inherited some "naughty" comix, some home made drawings, constructions, ...some clippings...from my grandfather and father (circa 1918 and 1943). Can anyone point me to a collector who might be interested in acquiring such items? Thanks in advance.

What exactly do you mean by "naughty"?

There were under-the-counter publications from the dates you mentioned generally referred to as "Tijuana Bibles" which often featured various well known public figures (actresses, sports players, etc..) or cartoon characters in pretty graphic sexual situations.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tijuana_bible

There were also many magazines and digests that published cartoons that were considered risque or naughty back then but which are generally pretty tame by today's standards.
This ebay post shows examples of a number of these (although most are from a bit after your period).

http://www.ebay.com/sch/sis.html?_nkw=Lot+3+cartoon+humor+Digests+GAZE+JEST+MIRTH+Bill+Ward

Whatever the case if you are interested in selling them I would suggest you monitor sales of such items and do some online research to get a better idea of their worth before unloading them.

Best

Joe

ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2012, 12:57:44 AM »

Since value is what someone is willing to pay, if you follow similar items on ebay you could know what to list them for.
ip icon Logged

Captain Audio

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2012, 09:05:51 PM »

I found a duffle bag full of similar stuff when I was a kid, but mom caught me looking through it and burned it all in the backyard.
ip icon Logged

abba anderson

message icon
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2012, 09:55:27 PM »

Thanks, one and all, for your suggestions.  :)

Since value is what someone is willing to pay, if you follow similar items on ebay you could know what to list them for.

@narfstar and Joe: Ebay is indeed one solution, but I am not convinced it is the best or the most appropriate.
Have you had any experience selling similar items?
Perhaps you know of other web sites that might allow for more diffusion?

ip icon Logged

josemas

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2012, 01:49:39 PM »

@narfstar and Joe: Ebay is indeed one solution, but I am not convinced it is the best or the most appropriate.

I've never had any experience either buying or selling them although have seen both the Tijuana Bibles and the joke mags selling plenty of times in my years buying comics on eBay.
Even if you don't want to sell via that route it is a good place to monitor the prices for what such items are currently going for.

Best

Joe
ip icon Logged

abba anderson

message icon
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2012, 03:20:31 PM »

Thanks again.

I've never had any experience either buying or selling them although have seen both the Tijuana Bibles and the joke mags selling plenty of times in my years buying comics on eBay.
Even if you don't want to sell via that route it is a good place to monitor the prices for what such items are currently going for.

Best

Joe
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.