in house dollar bill thumbnail
In-House Image
 Total: 42,823 books
 New: 183 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Hello to all CB+'ers

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Hello to all CB+'ers  (Read 2336 times)

rocketfromthetombs

message icon
Hello to all CB+'ers
« on: July 03, 2012, 03:54:56 AM »

Just saying hi and thank you for letting me join such a fantastic site!  I'm more familiar with newer stuff but have recently been reading a lot of Creepy and Eerie comics and am very interested in similar early horror/sci-fi series on this site.  I'm a big fan of Charles Burns, Harvey Pekar, R. Crumb, Garth Ennis, Neil Gaiman, Warren Ellis, Junji Ito, Hideshi Hino and more.  I look forward to talking, reading and learning some comic history whenever I can get on the site.  Excelsior! -Lane
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
Re: Hello to all CB+'ers
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2012, 10:27:33 AM »

Well we would like to welcome you to the site and introduce you to some new names in comic horror. Hope you enjoy AC Hollingsworth, Myron Fass, Albert Tyler, John Belfi, Bob Forgione, Don Heck, Alberta Tewks, Rudy Palais, Max Elkin, Tony Mortellaro, Hy Fleishman and many other great horror artists. Based on your other likes you have to check out Basil Wolverton, Paul Guttaso and the Fletcher Hanks
ip icon Logged

josemas

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2012, 11:43:23 AM »

Some other fine artists who's work you'll find here on the site in pre-code horror and sci-fi comics include Jack Cole, Bob Powell, Wally Wood, George Evans, Joe Kubert and Howie Nostrand.

Best

Joe
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2012, 07:02:59 PM »

Welcome to the site. No particular suggestions, simply dig in and enjoy the comics.
ip icon Logged

Florian R. Guillon

message icon
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2012, 11:01:18 AM »

Great to see I'm not the only fan of Junji Ito and Hideshi Hino here! Warren Ellis, Neil Gaiman and Garth Ennis, that's good stuff too! :)

Welcome here!
ip icon Logged

rocketfromthetombs

message icon
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2012, 06:01:17 PM »

Thanks guys!  Narfstar I'm going to seek out the names on your list.  You hit the nail on the head with Basil Wolverton -so so awesome -I read some of his work (I think reprinted) in the comic Death Rattle and fell in love, along with most of the other talented, violent and unsettling work I found there.  I really dug Fletcher Hanks as well -and Paul Gattuso but couldn't find many examples online.
   Joe I'm checking out your list too.  I do enjoy some of Joe Kubert's work -even had a drawing book he wrote though I couldn't draw just like him after I read it...  I like Wally Wood too!  Too bad re-issues of EC comics are so expensive!  This site is a great and inexpensive alternative though :)
   Paw Broon thank you.  I intend to do just that!
   Florian that's awesome.  Ito truly is a master of horror.  His stories cause a deep anxiety and discomfort which is only intensified by his genuinely disturbing and well crafted art work. I think his short story The Enigma of Amigara Fault is one of the most uncomfortable i've read and actually made me feel a bit squeezed just reading it!  Hino is also so cool.  Are you also a fan of Kazuo Umezu?  I am!  I also greatly enjoy Katsuhiro Otomo's Akira series.  I don't know about you, but I also really enjoy Clive Barker and there are some great comics of his short fiction out there.  Some of his original superhero's for I think Marvel's Razorline imprint were a little wordy/lacking but the comics such as Tapping the Vein and his Hellraiser and Nightbreed comics were pretty awesome and worth checking out.  But he's definitely not for everyone. 
            Thanks again to everyone for your input and welcome, that is exactly the reason I joined the site! (and free awesome comics) 
   -look forward to talking more, email me or reply if you want and keep reading! - Lane
ip icon Logged

josemas

message icon
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2012, 07:09:19 PM »

Thanks for the recommendation regarding some of the Japanese writer/artists.  I just checked out a couple volumes of Junji Ito's today at my local library.

Best

Joe

btw, I just uploaded Black Cat Mystery #45 (under Black Cat in the Harvey section) which contains Bob Powell's "Colorama"- a story I've always considered to be one of the coolest non-EC pre-code horror stories.  Some nice work by Howard Nostrand in the same issue.  Check it out.
ip icon Logged

rocketfromthetombs

message icon
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2012, 12:54:23 AM »

No problem Joe.  Uzumaki, three volumes about a town infested with spirals, is my favorite Ito i've read so far.  But with him it's hard to go wrong.  And thanks for recommending/uploading that Black Cat issue.  "Colorama" was awesome!  It had an interesting perspective.  I suppose i would even take Colorama over the alternative...  In fact i think it could make you a great abstract artist!  Read the whole issue, not sure which Howard Nostrand did.  Where were the writers/artists credited in the issue?  Maybe i'm suffering from Colorama now but i think i missed it.   
ip icon Logged

josemas

message icon
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2012, 11:34:42 AM »

Harvey did not usually credit its artists.

Here's some of the credits I was able to dig up.

"Colorama"- written and drawn by Bob Powell (with Nostrand assisting on inks)
"Lynch Mob" drawn (and possibly written by) Nostrand
"Knockout" drawn by Joe Certa

The first two volumes of Uzumaki were what I checked out of the library.  Good stuff so far.

Thanks

Joe
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.