in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,820 books
 New: 189 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Good evening, all!

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Good evening, all!  (Read 1639 times)

sergeial

message icon
Good evening, all!
« on: July 06, 2012, 06:13:12 AM »

My name's Sergei Alderman. I was born in 71.

My introduction to Golden Age comics came from a reprint of the JSA story "Five Drowned Men" that DC reprinted in digest format when I was a kid. It's an amazing story that still holds up to this day-- especially the Hawkman chapter w its incredible art by Joe Kubert.

Silver Age comics I got the opportunity to read because of a neighbor who was a little bit older than me let me read his collection-- I loved the Captain Atom comics, and especially the LSH! Karate Kid's escape from a hollowed out diamond is one of the most dramatic scenes ever.

Bronze Age comics were of course the comics that were coming out when I was a kid.

Let's see, my all-time favorites are...

Golden Age: Captain Marvel and Zatara
Silver Age: LSH and Thor
Bronze Age: Batman and X-Men

Nice to find a place to talk about old comic books!
« Last Edit: July 07, 2012, 08:27:34 PM by sergeial »
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
Re: Good evening, all!
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2012, 11:14:21 AM »

Welcome Sergeia please enjoy
I credit LSH with getting me addicted to comics. My cousin passed her Archie/Harvey and Superman family books on to me. None of them hooked except Superboy was appearing with the LSH in Adventure Comics. Those are the books that have made me spend thousands of dollars over the years. But I got a million dollars worth of enjoyment. I am known as the oddball collector because my SA main interest are wide but I concentrated on getting all the non Marvel/DC superhero books of the SA. Fatman, Neutro, Nukla, Fab 4 and all those other oddballs. Thanks to Roy Thomas and bringing out Conan my bronze age was heavily Sword and Sorcery with a lot of the black and white horror mags from Warren and Skywald.
ip icon Logged

josemas

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2012, 11:37:40 AM »

Glad to have you here on the site Sergei.

You'll find plenty of GA Captain Marvel here on the site as well as more of Joe Kubert's incredible GA art.

Beyond that I'm sure you'll find lots of other neat stuff.  You have many months of fun exploring and reading ahead. 

Let us know here on the forum if you find any particular gems that you think should be brought to the attention of others.

Enjoy

Joe
ip icon Logged

sergeial

message icon
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2012, 09:23:57 PM »

@ Narfstar-- Yeah, the Legion is amazing. Both the Shooter/Swan era and the Levitz/Giffen era were head and shoulders above almost everything else in the field.

I never read Conan in the classic period, but I remember when I saw Windsor-Smith's gorgeous work on the X-Men in the 80s and Solar in the 90s, people would mention that he got his start on Conan in the 70s. Recently I finally got the opportunity to rad that stuff and wow!-- Barry Smith was a guy who hit the ground running-- his very earliest work was every bit as incredible as his more mature stuff.

@Jose-- Thanks for the welcome. I'm here for the forum every bit as much as for the PD comics. It'll be nice to chat with folks with similar sensibilities. So link to a great comic-book page in my share a favorite page thread!
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.