in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,817 books
 New: 194 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Archives

Pages: [1] 2

topic icon Author Topic: Archives  (Read 11369 times)

WileyJ

message icon
Archives
« on: July 06, 2012, 10:17:42 AM »

just perused the duke of darkness archive....this is a great idea royg.... will there be more archives coming?? ;) be great to have both character archives and artist archives......frazetta archive would be cool
« Last Edit: July 06, 2012, 10:21:56 AM by WileyJ »
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
Re: Archives
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2012, 11:00:26 AM »

I was headed in the direction of artist archives but never got around to it. Mark is going to have comicmarks which will allow marking according to things like artist so the works can be brought up together. DCM has some archives we do not yet and you are welcome to make an archive and it will be much appreciated. A Frazetta archive or Ward archive in particular would make you very popular
ip icon Logged

Roygbiv666

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2012, 12:09:18 PM »

Hi

As far as I know, the Duke only appeared the 3 times, so no more for him. There are other archives to check out too. Might be some at DigitalComicMuseum that aren't here ( http://digitalcomicmuseum.com/index.php?cid=962 )

Looks like we don't have them grouped together like DCM. Thoughts?

just perused the duke of darkness archive....this is a great idea royg.... will there be more archives coming?? ;) be great to have both character archives and artist archives......frazetta archive would be cool
« Last Edit: July 06, 2012, 12:11:31 PM by Roygbiv666 »
ip icon Logged

WileyJ

message icon
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2012, 03:43:59 PM »

you are welcome to make an archive and it will be much appreciated.
[/quote]this is something i would enjoy,just tell me how to do it and ill bang one out!
ip icon Logged

Roygbiv666

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2012, 03:47:45 PM »

Well, taking the Duke as an example, I found and downloaded whatever comics he was in that we or DCM had.

I stuck them in a working directory and changed the file extensions from ".cbr" or ".cbz" into ".rar" or ".zip" files. Then I unzipped them into their component jpegs.

Then I deleted any pages without the Duke, renamed the remaining pages so that they were alphabetical int the order I wanted the archive. Then I zipped them up and change the file extension from ".zip" to ".cbz". Then uploaded.

Basically, I'm a thief of other peoples' hard workd. ;-)

you are welcome to make an archive and it will be much appreciated.
this is something i would enjoy,just tell me how to do it and ill bang one out!
[/quote]
ip icon Logged

WileyJ

message icon
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2012, 03:51:08 PM »

how do i upload??
ip icon Logged

Roygbiv666

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2012, 03:57:31 PM »

An exceedingly excellent question. I dont' really remember and it should be a gigantic UPLOAD button that anyone cane see. Why isn't it?

how do i upload??
ip icon Logged

WileyJ

message icon
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2012, 04:11:59 PM »

the marking idea is excellent!!!!
ip icon Logged

WileyJ

message icon
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2012, 04:14:44 PM »

if someone can tell me how to upload ill start right away....im already thinking about a ghost rider archive,mysterious traveler,senorita rio,torchy,sam hill......lets do this!!!
ip icon Logged

Roygbiv666

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2012, 04:49:30 PM »

Go to the main site, and to the right of you user name (top left) there are links to "Log Out", "Info", and "Upload".

if someone can tell me how to upload ill start right away....im already thinking about a ghost rider archive,mysterious traveler,senorita rio,torchy,sam hill......lets do this!!!
ip icon Logged

WileyJ

message icon
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2012, 05:21:39 PM »

got it.. thanks brother
ip icon Logged

MarkWarner

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2012, 07:13:35 PM »

An exceedingly excellent question. I dont' really remember and it should be a gigantic UPLOAD button that anyone cane see. Why isn't it?

Another good question and I think it will be very soon!
ip icon Logged
Comic Book Plus In-House Image

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2012, 07:38:56 PM »

"Basically, I'm a thief of other peoples' hard work"  Roygbiv666
That's me too.  But - it takes time and a bit of work (for me anyway) and there's the detectivating work I have to do to find the stuff in the first place. Fortunately it's usually great fun.
When I find blogs which post stories 1 page at a time or 1 page after another as individual jpeg's, I download each page, collate them, put them in a file with the title I want to use (in the correct order), zip them up then rename the file as .cbz and that's it.  Takes a while sometimes to download each separate page.
It occurs to me that the 3 Thunderbolt Jackson files in the U.K. section could be amalgamated into an archive. And I'm sure there are a couple more. 
( I have got that right, I suppose)?

ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2012, 08:10:23 PM »

ip icon Logged

Roygbiv666

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2012, 08:44:11 PM »

Seriously - yes, it is work. Thankfully I found the Automator on the Mac which let's you rename several files at once (prefix, suffix, etc.)

"Basically, I'm a thief of other peoples' hard work"  Roygbiv666
That's me too.  But - it takes time and a bit of work (for me anyway) and there's the detectivating work I have to do to find the stuff in the first place. Fortunately it's usually great fun.
When I find blogs which post stories 1 page at a time or 1 page after another as individual jpeg's, I download each page, collate them, put them in a file with the title I want to use (in the correct order), zip them up then rename the file as .cbz and that's it.  Takes a while sometimes to download each separate page.
It occurs to me that the 3 Thunderbolt Jackson files in the U.K. section could be amalgamated into an archive. And I'm sure there are a couple more. 
( I have got that right, I suppose)?
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2012, 08:57:54 PM »

irfanview is a free PC program that will do the same
ip icon Logged

WileyJ

message icon
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2012, 04:50:29 AM »

WileyJ I think a Matt Baker and Frazetta archives would be even more appreciated than the characters      im not a big fan of baker so ill leave that to someone else but ill def think about a frazetta archive....one more question after i upload an archive  can i go back later and add more material to it?
ip icon Logged

WileyJ

message icon
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2012, 03:14:14 PM »

i was sucessful at uploading my 1st archive....lady satan....but somehow all the pages got out o order??
ip icon Logged

Roygbiv666

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2012, 05:29:19 PM »

Always a good idea to check that before you upload (says the guy he didn't like 5 times ....).

It's likely due to the naming of the individual jpgs. The easiest way to name is probably like this:

"000 alsdkflaskfdj"
"001 woelajsdflkj"
"003 alsdflajdsflkaj"

that way they should be sorted numerically, regardless of the rest of the name. Although a consistent naming convention is likely a good idea, so:

"000 lady satan archive 1 pg1.jpg"
"001 lady satan archive 1 pg2.jpg"
"002 lady satan archive 1 pg3.jpg"

or

"000 lady satan archive 1 title of book pg1.jpg"
"001 lady satan archive 1 title of book pg2.jpg"
"002 lady satan archive 1 title of book pg3.jpg"

So in Windows Explorer of Mac's Finder, select the files and sort alpha-numerically. Then zip or rar them up.

Then check! ;-)

I think we have a FAQ somewhere on this ... https://comicbookplus.com/forum/index.php/topic,11.0.html. File naming is in there.

i was sucessful at uploading my 1st archive....lady satan....but somehow all the pages got out o order??
ip icon Logged

WileyJ

message icon
« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2012, 04:27:32 AM »

is there a way to know if your stuff is in the process of uploading?? i tried to upload another archive and after 15 min decided it wasnt uploading....it was 180 pages,did i give up too soon??
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2012, 10:38:09 AM »

there is a little percent uploaded that appears on the bottom left. BTW if an archive is that big you may want to make it a part one and part two. We prefer that files be less than one hundred megs. THANKS for making these!!!!
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2012, 10:48:21 AM »

We do not have any rules for archives but I think some suggestions or thoughts are in order. I think archives should be if we have the complete run of a character. They should be in published order with a table of contents page letting readers know where each story has come from. That would be my suggestions any care to chime in.
ip icon Logged

josemas

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2012, 12:17:46 PM »

We do not have any rules for archives but I think some suggestions or thoughts are in order. I think archives should be if we have the complete run of a character. They should be in published order with a table of contents page letting readers know where each story has come from. That would be my suggestions any care to chime in.

A table of contents would be a nice touch.  I don't think we necessarily have to have a complete run of a character's appearances to put up an archive but in the case where an incomplete archive is posted the archive should be updated whenever additional stories of the character become available and the archive denoted as version 2, version 3, etc...

As regards archives featuring artists I think we have more flexibility.  The table of contents is still a welcome addition but the archives could be set up around an artist's work in a particular genre or from a particular time period, for example.

Another idea for an archive is one set up around certain themes.  Say, time travel stories, Pony Express stories, stories about great leaders, stories about famous lawmen or infamous criminals, etc...

Best

Joe
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2012, 01:34:28 PM »

Good ideas Joe. I was surprised how much funny animal work Frazetta did. Most people are less interested in that than his other works. I think a St. John Baker romance archive would be very welcome
ip icon Logged

Roygbiv666

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #24 on: July 08, 2012, 01:39:38 PM »

When I was doing archives, I listed what it contained AND what was missing.

A table of contents would be a nice touch.  I don't think we necessarily have to have a complete run of a character's appearances to put up an archive but in the case where an incomplete archive is posted the archive should be updated whenever additional stories of the character become available and the archive denoted as version 2, version 3, etc...

As regards archives featuring artists I think we have more flexibility.  The table of contents is still a welcome addition but the archives could be set up around an artist's work in a particular genre or from a particular time period, for example.

Another idea for an archive is one set up around certain themes.  Say, time travel stories, Pony Express stories, stories about great leaders, stories about famous lawmen or infamous criminals, etc...

Best

Joe
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1] 2

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.