in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,820 books
 New: 189 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Underwater World

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Underwater World  (Read 8150 times)

Underwaterone

message icon
Underwater World
« on: July 09, 2012, 03:50:21 AM »

Actually Hydroman isn't depicted underwater so much- neither is Subby. Strangely, of the major superheros Wonder Woman is depicted in the most underwater scenarios with nearly 20 between Sensations and Wonder Woman proper. There none among the Marvel Mysteries! And only 5 submariners out of 39.
The big ones for me include the lofty Action 15, Adventure 41, Hit 5, the impossible to find Detective Eye2, Prize 18, Ace comics 150, Sure-Fire 2( which i was happy to see on this site) and Slam Bang 4, then there are the in demand Captain America 26, and  Exciting Comics 28( got it!!!)a Gerbers white space. So I have my hands full and pockets empty trying to finish the set.
So what are your interests?
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
Re: Underwater World
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2012, 08:18:00 AM »

Hello Underwatertone and welcome to CB+.  That's great information and I certainly didn't know all that. Great stuff. My interests differ in some ways from most on here but I am a superhero nut, Love them, always have. The more obscure the better.  Unfortunately, I'm not that fond of underwater heroes, apart from early Aquaman and the Jim Aparo stories and I quite like Fishboy, Denizen of the Deep which is a British strip. But I'm also a fan of non-American comics, i.e. British, European, Australian and New Zealand.  There is a wealth of superheroes, masked mystery men and costumed heroes from those other places.  I look forward to reading more from you.
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2012, 09:58:28 AM »

UW maybe you can fill in our missing 10 pages of Exciting 28. I have two Green Hornet lunchboxes and a Man From Uncle thermos. Do you collect non-superhero covers like Submarine Attack and Frogmen and Fighting Undersea Commandoes? We have several of those onsite
ip icon Logged

Underwaterone

message icon
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2012, 04:15:14 PM »

I am unfamilar with how to scan the books for what your site needs or likes. AND, I am not sure of the best way to go about, carefully, scanning books like Exciting 28 or Whirlwind Comics #1 which I see is missing from your index. I have all three Whirlwinds.
As to which underwater covers I collect I MAKE NO genre distinctions when it comes to underwater images-- my index of 307 and counting includes everything from Mandrake Mouse to Blackhawk to the Adventures of Bob Hope #20 ( check it out if you dont believe it !!) heck there is a Jerry Lewis underwater cover !! Lots of funny Animal title even Peter Panda has THREE underwaters out of a 31 issue run(seriously!) the list is long (ugh) and interesting. I have about 155 of the issues of my long list. I have compiled a visual catalog that I would like to publish one day(when I get closer to finishing the run).  My gerber journals were fantastic resources but then Ebay and GCD have revealed even more that I did not know existed. But I think I have just about exhausted the list at this point. Now my GA timeline is generous but I had to cut off my interest with the beginning of the Marvel Silver Age which allows books all through the 50's of course and a whee bit into the 60's- the other significant marker for my end point is the decided shift in artistic cover styles in the sixties onward. That is not to say I havent seen underwaters from the silver and bronze and even now that I would consider amazing and cool additions to the collection but I have to have boundaries or it becomes too too much. I would never be able to save up for books like Action 15 if went for the whole deal.

Good to be aboard and look forward to helping with the few rarities I have to share. I even have a coverless and near complete Jumbo Comics #7 - truly rare and impossible to find anywhere. Bob Kane's Peter Pup in the book has a very interesting panel with the villain that I believe prefigures the arrival of Batman - it is nearly identical to panel of the Batman from Det. 27.
more soon
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2012, 12:41:37 AM »

There was a big crash awhile back and some books were lost. I went and got the copy of Whirlwind 1 from DCM so we do now have a copy. It is however incomplete and we would love to have the missing pages.
When it comes to scanning rare and valuable books I would suggest allowing Rangerouse to do the scanning.
A regular scanner like most of us us will cause damage. Rangerhouse has a high end set up. I am pretty sure he would love to participate in making these available. If you have read through any of the many past posts you will see there is a highly trusted group that you could feel safe lending your books to for scanning. Another option, that does not produce as good results, is a digital camera if you do not feel comfortable sending of your books. With valuable books like yours it would probably be best with two people one to hold the book open while another snaps. Scanning is a lot of work, but as you can see, many of us have spent many  hours and lots of money providing this service for free. We just happen to love our hobby and glad you do to.
ip icon Logged

Underwaterone

message icon
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2012, 02:46:19 AM »

well I unsuccessfully attempted to reply earlier tonight with picture attachment so here it goes again.
I have a really rare Jumbo Comics #7 that I am eager to share with your site and I will send it out to be scanned as a test run- Then maybe the Exciting and Whirlwind. But for this note let me try again to attach the awesome panel from the last page of the Peter Pupp story by Bob Kane which I think prefigures the an iconic early Batman image, the one where he is poised to leap with his cape up looking like two wings. Well this is panel with a villian, Zula. Zula is on a carpet flying with his cape flying behind he has horns that look like a cowl the cape is a definite foreshadowing for things to come - if not an outright proto type it sure made the eventual leap to Batman easy. Let me know what you think. Cross your fingers that this image loads.
ip icon Logged

Underwaterone

message icon
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2012, 02:52:57 AM »

And that entire last page of the Peter Pupp story.
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2012, 03:08:00 AM »

Yeah it sure looks like it could have been copied for Batman but Kane would deny it.
ip icon Logged
Comic Book Plus In-House Image

JVJ

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2012, 09:29:39 PM »

For all intents and purposes, this image is contemporaneous with Batman in Detective 27. I think (I checked the other day, but have the flu and can't remember precisely) that one was April 1939 and the other May 1939. In "REAL" time, this is identical. You can't say for certain which was drawn first or which hit the newsstand first. If it's a "precursor" to Batman, it might only be by hours, certainly NOT by months.

(|:{>
ip icon Logged

Underwaterone

message icon
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2012, 09:55:08 PM »

JVJ - I see your point- though we can never know when or how long in advance the artwork was produced for either title so now as I recon it - the idea/art for the soon to be Batman could have just as easily influenced,  however vaguely, the Peter Pupp image as it could gone vice versa or simultaneously as you suggest. Ah-- well--- at least it is an interesting echo however tentative.
Thanks for clarity on this!
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2012, 04:21:44 PM »

Here is my favorite underwater cover the Captain knows it's over

http://www.comics.org/issue/221625/cover/4/

ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2012, 08:36:01 PM »

Here's a link to Fishboy, Denizen of the Deep, a British strip from the weekly comic, Buster. 
http://britishcomicart.blogspot.co.uk/2009/05/fishboy-denizen-of-deep.html
And here's an entry from Superitch.  Hope you enjoy it.
http://superitch.com/?p=17915
ip icon Logged

JVJ

message icon
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2012, 11:44:08 PM »

Here is my favorite underwater cover the Captain knows it's over

http://www.comics.org/issue/221625/cover/4/

Too bad they all (artist, inker, editor, production people) failed to notice that the swastika is backwards....

(|:{>
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2012, 12:24:24 AM »

I remember in the sixties several places would not us a real swastika and put them backwards on purpose.
ip icon Logged

JVJ

message icon
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2012, 04:31:49 AM »

Where was that, narf?

DC, Charlton, Marvel? Was this an editorial decision? Whose?

Peace, Jim (|:{>
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2012, 06:23:06 AM »

I do not remember it from comics but a memory from many years ago. Swastikas I had seen were
backwards and I thought that was correct. I remember it because when I saw one going the right way I thought it was a mistake. I was told it was correct and the others had  been drawn backwards because
people did not think it right to put actual swastikas on things. So it was not a comic book thing but a
cultural thing. We are talking over forty years ago but it is something that has stuck with me.
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2012, 04:33:31 PM »

Here is a new series Underwater Welder

http://www.comixology.com/comic-reader?id=28272&sid=8362
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.