in house dollar bill thumbnail
In-House Image
 Total: 42,820 books
 New: 185 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Woman in Red archive

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Woman in Red archive  (Read 1834 times)

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
Woman in Red archive
« on: August 05, 2012, 04:35:27 PM »

This is for josemas.  I saw the archive and, apart from the contents which are a great addition to CB+, the cover page got me going as it looks like a composite of 3 lilliputs and I really need to know if The Woman in Red appeared in that format, or, how did you get those images.  I'm so interested in non-standard comic formats i.e non-American standard comic book shape.  There are some striscie already up on CB+, one of which is American and I was surprised when I found it as I thought that this was a European shape for comics.  Sorry to be a pain but do you have more examples of the format and, if so, can you let me have a look at them?  Isn't it amazing how we keep finding out new things?
ip icon Logged

josemas

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
Re: Woman in Red archive
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2012, 05:28:45 PM »

The Woman in Red Archive is a transplant from our friends at DCM.  I had nothing to do with compiling it originally.  I merely brought it on over to our site.

The stories originally appeared in Better/Nedor/Standrad's Thrilling Comics.  I believe that the cover page is a composite of three splash panels.  The stories all originally appeared in a standard sized comic, as far as I know.

While there were some different sized comics here in the U S A I'm no expert on that subject.  A couple examples that I do remember are the early issues of Fiction House's Jumbo Comics being tabloid size and Harvey's Pocket Comics being digest size.

Perhaps others could chime in with some examples of odd sized GA comics?

Best

Joe
« Last Edit: August 07, 2012, 01:13:43 AM by josemas »
ip icon Logged

Geo (R.I.P.)

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2012, 09:25:43 PM »

Harvey, Archie and even DC made digest sized comics. There maybe more, but I don't know.

Ziff-Davis did pulp style books with comic inserts for another.

Here's a couple more I found:SPEED COMICS #15 VG/F 5.0 (RARE! digest size)
SPEED COMICS #16 VG- 3.5 (RARE! pocket-sized Hitler cvr)

That help some?

Geo
« Last Edit: August 06, 2012, 10:21:58 PM by Geo »
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2012, 11:34:49 AM »

Yes it does, thanks.  As I said, I'm a bit of a fan of different formats but apart from the ones you mention, N.America didn't seem to use them.  Whereas in Europe there are umpteen variations.  French fans call landscape comics Italian format, despite there having been many more Spanish landscape titles - a huge number in fact.  In Australia, The Phantom and other comics were initially published landscape and in 2 different versions of the format.  But as for digest, where do you start.  Huge numbers of digest comics were produced weekly, fortnightly, monthly, in UK, France, Italy and, to a lesser extent in Netherlands ( but they also had/invented?, Beeldromans, the little cigarette pack sized comics)  and other places. And that's just scratching the surface.  Sorry to bore you but the diversity amazes me.
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2012, 11:36:50 PM »

Not a bore Paw it fascinates most of us here
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.