in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,782 books
 New: 213 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

been lurking for awhile...

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: been lurking for awhile...  (Read 2064 times)

chinaski

• VIP
message icon
been lurking for awhile...
« on: August 10, 2012, 05:56:37 AM »

I've had my account here for awhile downloading books, but never introduced myself. So since I posted on the forums the other day figured I would.

I'm a cartoonist, and my favorite types of books to look at and study are those in the "funny animal" genre. I really love Walt Kelly, as well as stuff by Terry Toons artists like Jim Tyre. And thanks to this site I've discovered Al Fago's work , which I think is great - especially the Atomic Rabbit comics!

I'm really in to cartoon history, so it was interesting to find that although not a Terry Toon artist himself, he learned the craft from his younger brother who actually was one. Which explains the Terry Toon Mighty Mouse style found in his work. He covered for his brother at the drawing table during WWII.

Additionally, I'm not just a one genre cat, although I do tend to stick to the more cartoonier stuff. But I do read the action, horror, and sometimes romance comics as well. I really enjoy finding oddball stuff, too, like the Little Miss Sunbeam comics that got posted a few months ago. lol. And outside of comics, I collect a lot of other Golden Age stuff as well, such as Men's Magazines, Pulps, advertising, cartoons and commercials.

If anyone's curious about my art...
My website is: http://www.syrup-pirates.com

Although the comics in the "comic section" on there are old, but I do post panels and some new art on the Blog section time to time.

For newer art and sketches tho, I tend to post fairly often on my Deviant Art account: http://syrupneko.deviantart.com/gallery/

Anyways, this site is awesome and thanks to everyone for posting tons of great stuff on here. :D
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
Re: been lurking for awhile...
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2012, 10:21:33 AM »

Welcome aboard glad you enjoy. You have to try out Slapstick Comics, Jack Cole's Plastic Man, Jingle Jangle Comics and you have probably already found Animal Comics. You will probably also enjoy the works of Fletcher Hanks. Please jump into to any of the conversations.
ip icon Logged

Menticide

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2012, 10:28:44 AM »

Greetings, oddly enough I was just reading an old digest collection of funny animal stories (Disney to be exact) not more than a few minutes ago, and it featured some vintage Floyd Gottfredson art from 1942 and 1950.

I always like bumping into artists, because I envy them. I've been trying to make it as a comic book writer for decades, but I can't draw to save my life...
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2012, 01:27:20 PM »

Hey Ment good to see you posting
ip icon Logged

Menticide

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2012, 05:49:06 PM »

Yeah, I was a bit bogged down for a while there, family stuff, but I'll be around more now...
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission and Disclaimer: The mission of Comic Book Plus is to present completely free of charge, and to the widest possible audience, popular cultural works of the past. These records are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They are historical documents reflecting the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We at Comic Book Plus do not endorse the views expressed in these, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

We aim to house only content in the Public Domain. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, then please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further.