in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,823 books
 New: 183 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Looking for some recommendations...

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Looking for some recommendations...  (Read 3060 times)

Menticide

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
Looking for some recommendations...
« on: August 11, 2012, 06:23:22 PM »

I've been on an old pulp kick lately and I'm looking to do some writing featuring some of my favorite pulp characters, but since most of my favorites are not in the public domain, I will need to find some similar characters to work with instead.

I know there are plenty of Tarzan clones in the realm of golden age comic characters, can someone please recommend one that is pretty decent, and in the public domain too?

I am also looking for public domain comic book characters that would work as good substitutes for Doc Savage and John Carter. Any help would be greatly appreciated...
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
Re: Looking for some recommendations...
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2012, 12:52:06 AM »

Voodah in Crown Comics is probably one of the better Jungle second stringers.
Jun Gal in Blazing is fun.
Of course you can look in Planet Comics for a possible good John Carter clone

BTW I have been adding pulps and some more are coming.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2012, 01:42:28 AM by narfstar »
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2012, 02:00:24 AM »

In every profession there is usually one person whose highly developed skill place him far above his fellow members. A man of enormous talents and wealth. He carries no gun but for toughness, brilliance of mind and compassion for those in distress there is none to compare to Mr. Risk. From ACE he appeared in Super Mystery and his own mag. Some similarities to Doc Savage there.

Mike Danger and Johnny Adventure appears in Charlton's Danger and Adventure

ACG's Operation Peril has Typhoon Tyler. Soldier of Fortune had Ace Carter

Novelty's Young King Cole may fit the bill somewhat

Lance Larson the Man of a Thousand Faces would be similar to the Avenger.

Fox had Jo-Jo the Jungle Kin
« Last Edit: August 12, 2012, 02:51:08 AM by narfstar »
ip icon Logged

Menticide

message icon
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2012, 05:08:50 AM »

Thanks for the suggestions Narf, I'll look into all of them. There are so many GA characters and I have so little time to read them all...
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2012, 01:40:46 AM »

For something a little different the issues of Comet in the 20's have Jungle Lord
ip icon Logged

Menticide

message icon
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2012, 10:25:54 AM »

For something a little different the issues of Comet in the 20's have Jungle Lord

I've actually read that, although it's been a few years. On a similar, but different note, I just picked up an old Bomba the Jungle Boy book the other day, should make for a fun read...
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2012, 10:33:26 AM »

I have all those and several of the novels and they are pretty good
ip icon Logged

Menticide

message icon
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2012, 06:31:42 AM »

I guess you'd call it a young reader novel, it's called Bomba the Jungle Boy on the Terror Trail from 1928. I bought it for next to nothing from the Goodwill.

I've also recently acquired a bunch of old Tarzan novels that belonged to my wife's grandfather and a stack of first edition Zane Grey books that belonged to him as well. So, I have a whole lot reading material that I need to start working my way through...
« Last Edit: August 16, 2012, 08:56:57 AM by Menticide »
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2012, 02:02:20 PM »

I have that one. They are very light reading, nothing special but enjoyable.
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.