in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,820 books
 New: 189 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

introduction

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: introduction  (Read 4091 times)

John Hamer

message icon
introduction
« on: September 07, 2012, 03:15:13 PM »

hello my name is John and I come from Nottingham.
I am a avid reader of the Magnet,Sexton Blake and  British comic's in general Can any body upload any of following apart from the Magnet please . Union Jack's will be welcome particularly the early one's Thank you yours John
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
Re: introduction
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2012, 03:25:04 PM »

Hello John.  Welcome to CB+.  Another Blake fan - that's good.  We have found some SB Library scans but not early series. and we're just checking that they will be acceptable to host.   As for Union Jack, well, you have set us a task and we are finding it really difficult to come up with much.  We host 2 examples here:-
https://comicbookplus.com/?cid=1555
just scroll down and on your way down you'll also find a few Nelson Lee Libaries.
If it's British comics in general, have a look here:-
https://comicbookplus.com/?cid=270
I'm sure you'll find something to enjoy.

By the way, I take it you are familiar with Friardale?  If not let me know and i'll post the link.
ip icon Logged

John Hamer

message icon
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2012, 09:27:02 PM »

Yes Iam familier  with Friardale I read quite a few PDf's there I am not too sure how to use  zipped files  I  am reading  one of the sexton blake stories  via the live reader  software   I am not attempting to download any files via zipped software Thank you for welcoming me KInd regards John
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2012, 11:45:20 PM »

Welcome John
There are any number of free file readers if you choose to download. I use Cdisplay
ip icon Logged

unclerobin@att.net

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2012, 08:38:31 AM »

When I was a kid I had a neighborhood (or as they say across the pond, neighbourhood) friend whose grandmother was from England and sent him comics. One was a humor comic with a character named Billy Bunter who I thought at the time was pretty funny, although the way he always ended up getting caned by his headmaster would definitely be considered corporal punishment today. I also remember Valiant comics, a little kid's comic called (I hated it then but it's funny to me now) Robin, and a few others whose names escape me now. Wouldn't mind seeing some o' them again -
ip icon Logged

unclerobin@att.net

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2012, 08:41:46 AM »

And by the way, it's good to see that people from all over the world like comic book plus - welcome aboard, John!
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2012, 07:42:16 PM »

Robin, Billy Bunter?  Friadale has many Manet issues with /bunter here:-
http://www.friardale.co.uk/Magnet/Magnet.htm
They get funnier and sillier the later you go.   Have fun.
ip icon Logged

unclerobin@att.net

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2012, 05:51:32 PM »

paw broon, I just checked out the site you recommended for Billy Bunter, it was interesting. This was a much earlier version than the one I remember. It was published in the '60s and was an actual comic story as opposed to pictures and text. I just can't remember the name of the comic, it's been too many years, even for me, and I usually can remember some pretty dumb inconsequential stuff. But we're on the right track! Thanx  much!
ip icon Logged
Comic Book Plus In-House Image

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2012, 07:37:18 AM »

Robin, I got only half way through my last reply 'cos my wife was "suggesting" I get a move on - we were going out.  I think this is what you remember but we have earlier editions as well:-
https://comicbookplus.com/?cid=2121
Jump in and have a wallow.
ip icon Logged

unclerobin@att.net

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2012, 04:03:29 PM »

Paw, You did it! That site you directed me to had Billy Bunter the way I remembered him! The most recent was 1953, and I read his strip (which was on the front page of the book it was in at that point) in the '60s, but he was pretty much the same character that I saw then. THANKYOUTHANKYOUTHANKYOU!!!
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2012, 04:46:49 PM »

I'm doing this in bits, it seems but Bunter also appeared in later issues of Comet in 1956 and we seem to have a few? here:-
https://comicbookplus.com/?dlid=26677
Bunter also appeared in the Dutch magazine, Sjors but his name was changed to Billy Turf.
There is also a bit of tv Bunter on youtube but the quality is dreadful:-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DfuVQJdA-z8
ip icon Logged

unclerobin@att.net

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2012, 11:04:47 AM »

Paw, the version of Billy Bunter that I remembered was the one in Knockout. It's strange that the Rocket issues were published later and yet seemed more like the earlier version that you first pointed out to me. Weirder still, the version I remember from the '60s more closely resembled the Knockout version, too. Maybe the one I saw as a kid was not new off the stands (although I'm pretty sure it was - don't forget, I think I mentioned that he was on the front page of the book I saw him in - still not sure what it was. The version in Knockout seems right on, though.
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2012, 01:46:05 PM »

OK. It's time to try the experts so I'll post a query on comicsuk.co.uk as soon as I get the time and we'll see what they come up with.  Don't hold your breath but something should turn up.
ip icon Logged

unclerobin@att.net

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2012, 01:01:43 AM »

Oops I made a boo boo! I said Rocket issues in my last comment when I of course meant Comet - there goes my karma!
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2012, 04:44:12 PM »

You'll enjoy this.  Results from comicsuk.co.uk and examples of Bunter front page appearances:-
http://www.comicsuk.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=5160&sid=d07e388f268dc184143f842a43aeee74

It's all yours.  I'll thank the experts on comics uk but if you want to sign up you can add your own thanks.
ip icon Logged

unclerobin@att.net

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2012, 09:57:13 PM »

Thanks, paw, you've done Yeoman's work on this one - I appreciate it!
ip icon Logged

John Hamer

message icon
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2013, 12:26:10 AM »

paw broon, I just checked out the site you recommended for Billy Bunter, it was interesting. This was a much earlier version than the one I remember. It was published in the '60s and was an actual comic story as opposed to pictures and text. I just can't remember the name of the comic, it's been too many years, even for me, and I usually can remember some pretty dumb inconsequential stuff. But we're on the right track! Thanx  much!
[/quote The comic that you can't remember is called Knockout and it featured Sexton Blake and also Billy Bunter
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.