in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,817 books
 New: 194 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Hello!!!

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Hello!!!  (Read 3247 times)

Anonywriter

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: Anonywriter
message icon
Hello!!!
« on: January 14, 2013, 07:17:30 PM »

So glad to be a new member at this site. As a huge fan of the comic book medium I am excited to play any part in preserving the roots of it. :D
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
Re: Hello!!!
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2013, 08:11:22 PM »

Good to have you here and please consider contributing your thoughts to the forum.  Enjoy the comics.
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2013, 01:24:17 AM »

Welcome Anony. First part you can play is as a contributor to discussions. If you happen to have any PD books that are unscanned that would be great to scan and add those.
ip icon Logged

Maru

message icon
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2013, 02:57:28 AM »

Hello, everyone. My name is Maru. I have a college-age daughter and I'm a woman! No, really. I grew up with two older sisters passing romance comics around and my mom also used to read those back in her day. I'm mostly interested in romance comics by the late wonderful Matt Baker. Happy to be aboard. :)
ip icon Logged

MarkWarner

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2013, 11:46:28 AM »

Hi and welcome. You have arrived at a very good time as we have just introduced categories ...
And here is a romance section that we have created just for you :) https://comicbookplus.com/?cbplus=romance

The leading ladies https://comicbookplus.com/?cbplus=leadingladies may also be of interest to you ... Firehair and Sheena certainly are to me!!

Have fun and post and comment a lot!

Regards,

Mark
ip icon Logged

josemas

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2013, 11:54:06 AM »

Matt Baker did a lot of his romance comics work for St. John Publications so I'd recommend that you check those out first.

Enjoy

Joe
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2013, 05:19:39 PM »

Hello Maru and welcome to CB+.  Great to have you here.  If you read Spanish, you'll find some very old fashioned Spanish romance titles here:-
https://comicbookplus.com/?cid=2045

Enjoy the comics and please post your comments, thoughts and questions in the forum.
ip icon Logged
Comic Book Plus In-House Image

Maru

message icon
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2013, 06:27:00 PM »

Thanks for all the nice words. I'll be sure to check out those sections first. Glad to be here.
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2013, 10:24:24 PM »

Feel free to post your opinions and observations Maru. We need more of the female perspective in this primarily male dominated hobby.
ip icon Logged

jimmm kelly

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2013, 12:12:49 AM »

I recently read through all of the Rulah stories (from Fox) available on this site, much of which features art by Matt Baker (debatably). I think Rulah is a very strange and interesting feature indeed. I also read all of Canteen Kate (from St. John) which features Baker when his art was much more mature and sophisticated (at the same time that he was doing those romance comics). And I'm currently slowly getting through all the Doll Man stories (I love Reed Crandall) in anticipation of getting to the issue of Doll Man where Bill Ward's Torchy feature begins.
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2013, 02:26:35 AM »

Good stuff that good girl art  :D
ip icon Logged

josemas

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2013, 11:52:02 AM »

If you love Reed Cradall you'll definitely want to check out his work on the Blackhawks, in their own title, as well as Military and Modern Comics from Quality.

Best

Joe
ip icon Logged

jimmm kelly

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2013, 05:03:22 AM »

If you love Reed Cradall you'll definitely want to check out his work on the Blackhawks, in their own title, as well as Military and Modern Comics from Quality.

Best

Joe

I have the DC Archives BLACKHAWK--so I was going to continue reading Blackhawk from where that volume leaves off. But that would probably be an ongoing project for the next few years. So I decided to tackle the Doll Man stories first--which itself is a pretty big challenge. The contrast between Crandall and other artists (even early Fine and Eisner) is quite stark. It seems like Reed came into the business already with the skill set to create beautifully inked artwork. It's too bad so many of the CB+ Doll Man stories are on fiche, which makes it hard to appreciate Crandall's line work.

One of my favourite stories thusfar is in FEATURE COMICS 61. In particular one panel on the second page of that Doll Man story where Martha and Darrell are laying on her bed together, talking the way people in a real relationship will talk. Darrell and Martha are engaged to be married--but seem in no hurry to get to the altar--and Darrell is always at the house she shares with her father. If you ask me, they must be living together. Pretty interesting for 1942.

Weirdly, although the series started out with Martha knowing that Darrell and Doll Man are one and the same (pretty easy to see, since they look exactly alike), somewhere along the way the writers must have decided to create some Lois/Clark/Superman dynamic. So suddenly Martha doesn't know that Darrell is the Doll Man. This doesn't really add anything to the stories and I think it was better when she did know, because then she was a better help to him.

(I think eventually--when Martha becomes Doll Girl--the situation reverses again, but those stories will be much later in my Doll Man reading.)
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2013, 11:39:31 AM »

The art work is great but I have a hard time with reading Doll Man. I just can not take him seriously as a superhero. #1 the name DOLL MAN yikes what were they thinking. #2 shrinking to me is one of the least desireable super powers.
ip icon Logged

jimmm kelly

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2013, 05:28:36 PM »

I always liked the power to shrink and I'm fascinated by such stories. Also it makes for interesting artwork--not every artist is up to handling the strange perspective required by these stories. Doll Man is a silly name and it's pretty funny that the cops take him seriously. But I never take Golden Age stories too seriously--that's part of the fun. I also like GA stories, because they give me a chance to fill in all the holes. Just like with Rulah, there's a lot of back story you have to fill in for Doll Man.

Just how Doll Man shrinks is never fully explained. Some of the artists (not Crandall) insert an outer space shot, when the change happens--as if that's supposed to explain anything. Darrell Dane himself, despite being a scientist, is a man of adventure. He seems to have travelled the world, has martial arts skills, and he's quite the lady's man (women go wild for him), but his heart belongs to Martha. Martha is a progressive woman, good in a fight, and an experienced pilot. She may have a checkered past, because the first story has her being blackmailed over a letter she wrote--it's never explained what she did in her past, but it must be something juicy or she wouldn't be paying hush money. So there's lots of holes to fill in--which is just how I like it.

Also the Eisner/Iger studio writers are very good at what they do. Like with any GA material, there's plenty of repetition and unoriginal plots--but every now and then there's some really innovative approaches to story telling. I'm always surprised when these guys don't just phone it in. Comics were so popular in the Golden Age that publishers could put out any piece of junk and it would sell. They only had to keep churning out more material to feed the market--so it's quite amazing when writers and artists actually make an effort and go beyond the call of duty.

Quality seems to have had a problem with wartime quotas on paper. The DOLL MAN title takes a three year hiatus after issue 7 (while FEATURE COMICS goes to bimonthly) which I believe was a result of Busy Arnold's problems with the quotas. BLACKHAWK had a similar problem, having to wait until UNCLE SAM ended, before it could continue in that slot (with the same numbering) and even then there was over a year wait between the first issue (numbered 9) and the next. I think if Arnold and other publishers didn't have restrictions like the paper quotas, then we would have seen even more material in the Golden Age than what there already was.
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.