in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,806 books
 New: 184 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

The Comic Books Archive

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: The Comic Books Archive  (Read 4749 times)

citaltras

• VIP
message icon
The Comic Books Archive
« on: June 02, 2008, 09:48:19 AM »

I have noticed the Comic Books Archive has 
posted online some Quality and Fawcett Golden Age Comics.
Check their site catalog on the following link:

http://www.aibq.com/catalog_1.php

Quote from: The Comics Book Archive

New comics will be added on a regular basis as quickly as I can. For the moment I will be focusing on Quality Comics and Fawcett. If you have any comments, or favorites you would like me to add, just email me at

I believe these are the same comics that can be found here. There is nothing
wrong with that, since those comics are public domain, and I believe it is
good to have other alternative places where these comics can be found and stored.
The negative side is that they don't include this site in their list of links.

That site used to have many low-quality, DC comics scans online,
but one year ago they have to erase everything  after request by DC.
I think that maybe the origin of many low-quality, blur  DC scans (around 4MB each)
still circulating on the internet.

« Last Edit: June 02, 2008, 09:56:35 AM by citaltras »
ip icon Logged

Yoc

• Past Member
message icon
Re: The Comic Books Archive
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2008, 12:15:48 PM »

It would be nice if they listed when a book was from a fiche source.
ip icon Logged

citaltras

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2008, 04:53:46 PM »

In fact they rename everything to just numbers 001.cbr, 002.cbr, etc.
ip icon Logged

phabox

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2008, 05:30:39 PM »

Quite honestly if he's only going to duplicate whats already here only smaller then that site will just be ' a waste of space' IMO.

Now if he was to be a little more daring and offer material thats 'off limits' over here such as EC, Smith and Street, and some of the more 'risky' Harvey and Dell books and maybe even some obscure silver age stuff like Gold Key, Lightning, Milsom, MFEnterprises, Radio/Mighty then maybe it would serve more of a usefull purpose.

Still after getting his butt kicked by DC who could blame him if he decided to 'Play Safe' ?  ???

-Nigel
ip icon Logged

rez

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2008, 06:49:40 PM »

We have a better presentation of NickelComics 008 ;D

I believe these are the same comics that can be found here. There is nothing
wrong with that, since those comics are public domain, and I believe it is
good to have other alternative places where these comics can be found and stored.
ip icon Logged

John C

message icon
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2008, 07:25:09 PM »

I apologize in advance.  This is probably going to sound terribly rude.

That said...Instead of telling each other what's wrong with his site, drop Jon an e-mail!  Tell him what's good.  Tell him what you'd like to see.  Tell him how you can help.  He's a real person, after all, and new ventures can always use moral support.

And, of course, there are still people out there with slower connections or limited storage space, so "smaller" is hardly something to look down on.
ip icon Logged

phabox

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2008, 07:47:16 PM »

Having gone back for another look I grabbed Dollman issues_002 and 028 both of which we are missing here so maybe there is something to be said for this site after all !  :)

-Nigel
« Last Edit: June 02, 2008, 07:49:30 PM by phabox »
ip icon Logged

citaltras

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2008, 08:09:54 PM »

Having gone back for another look I grabbed Dollman issues_002 and 028 both of which we are missing here so maybe there is something to be said for this site after all !  :)

-Nigel

Thanks. I didn't went to check their catalog.
I like their presentation with the covers thumbnails.

ip icon Logged

moondood

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: moondood
message icon
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2008, 07:09:40 AM »

I found their site a month or so before I found this one...(2 years ago--?) and I was disappointed with the small file size (equals fuzzy images).  Over time, I heard that if you paid a fee of some kind, you could get higher rez files. 

BUT--since they offered non-Public domain stuff (back then)--it was kind of attractive, in a sick, weird, twisted--so wrong way.  I liked it.

AND-I've come to discover that the titles I really love (Detective, Batman)--I'll keep and tolerate.  Some others, not so much (Bomba, Creeper)--but that's just a preference--something we all have.

There are a number of comics-sources on the internet--this one's my fave--since I'm a GA nut--tho' it ended 12 years before I was born--and I'm oooo-oold!  The more the merrier--I am, anyway!

Now we just need more pulps!  And western dime novels--any out there, pilgrim??

MD
ip icon Logged

Aussie500

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: Aussie500
message icon
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2008, 01:31:15 PM »

Most of our comics come from other sources as well, there would be no reason why Jon would need to list every single site that has the same comics, if he even does have the same scans. Thanks for providing the link citaltras, when l get a chance l will check the site out and see what the quality is like for myself. Having been confined to dial up myself for the first 3 years, personally l always preferred larger scans even though they took for ever to download, quality is always worth waiting for. But l am sure there are some out there who would be happy with smaller scans.
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission and Disclaimer: The mission of Comic Book Plus is to present completely free of charge, and to the widest possible audience, popular cultural works of the past. These records are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They are historical documents reflecting the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We at Comic Book Plus do not endorse the views expressed in these, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

We aim to house only content in the Public Domain. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, then please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further.