in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,817 books
 New: 194 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Greetings!

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Greetings!  (Read 1354 times)

3thinker

message icon
Greetings!
« on: April 30, 2013, 02:48:08 AM »

This is a great resource. I've lurked in the past but now look forward to getting content for my tablet. What sets this place apart is the more detailed info on many issues -- and the pulps! I've been digging pulps since I discovered the digital trove at Unz.org and am thrilled to find plenty to download here. Thanks to all involved, and keep them coming!

The only problem so far is with some of the British stuff in the pulp category. I tried downloading some of the Sexton Blake stuff (e.g. S3 353) but my Nook Tablet gave me error messages even though it can read .cbz files. I've had no problems with the American pulps and comics I've downloaded here in that file format. If there's a fix for this I'll be glad to hear it. Otherwise, thanks for everything so far!
ip icon Logged

CosmicJukebox

• VIP
message icon
Re: Greetings!
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2013, 10:44:46 AM »

My copy of that one (It's not one of my SBL scans) is in .cbr format. Could it be that the file you downloaded has at some point had its extension changed from .cbr to .cbz & this is what's causing the problem? Try changing it to .cbr & see if that helps.

Please let me know if you have any trouble with the issues I scanned (they should all have [CosmicJukebox] in the filename. If any of them are .cbz files, they have been altered, as I always make mine .cbr.

Dave (CJ)
« Last Edit: April 30, 2013, 10:47:08 AM by CosmicJukebox »
ip icon Logged

CosmicJukebox

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2013, 11:15:37 AM »

I downloaded the issue that 3thinker mentioned, made par2 files for my cbr copy & ran them on this cbz copy. It matched, except for the filenames. I then checked one of my cscans & found that it also has had its extension changed to .cbz.

All of the files in this section, even the ones I didn't scan myself, should be .cbr. Changing them to .cbz will mean some (albeit not all) reader aps won't be able to display them.
ip icon Logged

3thinker

message icon
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2013, 07:30:06 PM »

CosmicJukebox: Thanks for your explanations. All the files I've attempted to download have been .cbz so you may be right about alteration. The specific Sexton Blake I mentioned lists Bogof39 as the uploader. I'll have to download a reader if .cbr is correct since the Nook Tablet, to my knowledge, doesn't recognize that file extension.
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2013, 01:37:51 AM »

I believe Mark has automated things to be made cbz. Zip is more universal than rar and some have had problems with rar or cbr files in the past. So that is why all your cbr files show up as cbz. Check with Mark but I think that is the case.
ip icon Logged

MarkWarner

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2013, 06:08:55 AM »

Yes and no narf

If you upload a .rar then you download a .cbr, if you upload a .zip you download a .cbz (I am just altering the file extension). So we only have .cbr and .cbz ... no .zip or .rar

I looked in the database and the files were uploaded as .cbz ... I have altered that to .cbr And all should now be good
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.