in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,820 books
 New: 189 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Anti-comics article from March 27, 1948 issue of Collier's link

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Anti-comics article from March 27, 1948 issue of Collier's link  (Read 3384 times)

Yoc

• Past Member

Hi Gang,
Those with an eye for history might enjoy this anti-comics article that quotes the good doctor from before the publication of Seduction of the Innocent.  And dig those crazy kids.  Ah memories...

http://comicscommentary.blogspot.com/

-Yoc
ip icon Logged

rez

• Past Member
message icon
Re: Anti-comics article from March 27, 1948 issue of Collier's link
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2008, 05:51:48 PM »

Thanks for that, YOC.
Interesting stuff.
ip icon Logged

Mr. Izaj

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: Mr. Izaj
message icon
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2008, 01:45:51 AM »

Very interesting article, Yoc. It showed that attacks on the popular media for causing the ills of society was nothing new. Actually, children indulging in the worst of the popular media when combined with such factors as lack of positive adult role models, parents not being parents, hanging out with the wrong crowd, etc.. are the real causes of turning kids into juvenille delinquents.

I've said my peace, now to get off my soapbox and enjoy some really good comics.
ip icon Logged

Yoc

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2008, 03:19:17 AM »

History is littered with these types of crusades.
Anyone recall a certain musical where Pool Halls were the villains?  'Right here in Rivercity!'
Add in Pulps, TV, Rock 'n' Roll, pinball machines, punk music, video games as well as the current evils of The Internet and you can see society is always looking to blame juvenile delinquency on something, anything, but parenting.
::)
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2008, 04:15:33 AM »

Don't forget blaming us teachers for all the ills of their children :-\
ip icon Logged

cimmerian32

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2008, 06:19:00 AM »

Makes me proud that I am doing what I can to preserve the books that they tried to remove from the American consciousness :P  Books that had a direct (according to them) or indirect effect on the America we know today... 
ip icon Logged

Yoc

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2008, 02:08:40 AM »

Hi again gang,
Here's an excellent link to a CBC archive recording of an anti-comics radio debate from Jan.21, 1949.
;D

http://archives.cbc.ca/arts_entertainment/visual_arts/clips/13684/
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.