in house dollar bill thumbnail
In-House Image
 Total: 42,820 books
 New: 189 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Spoilt for choice!

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Spoilt for choice!  (Read 2104 times)

Mr Whiz

message icon
Spoilt for choice!
« on: May 30, 2013, 02:13:02 PM »

So many comics - so little gigabytes!

Oh - I know, I'll stick 'em on my memory stick!
I forgot where I put my memory stick...

*finds memory stick*

*sings, "Thanks for the memory stick..."*

ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
Re: Spoilt for choice!
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2013, 03:10:10 PM »

Mr. Whiz, welcome to CB+.  Finding this site was what made me go and buy an external hard drive.  It fills up fast.
Just trying to work out your avatar - a colour Marvelman transformation? The result of Captain Conquest shouting "Kagaran"?  Put me out of my misery, please.
Enjoy the comics and join in the chat on the forum.
ip icon Logged

Mr Whiz

message icon
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2013, 03:34:33 PM »

Hi Paw

My avatar is the the effect on the weather when Billy Batson shouts, "SHAZAM!"

It can be either "BOOM!" (as my avatar) or "BAM!" (as the above)
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2013, 04:03:23 PM »

Nice one. I was out in the garden when it dawned on me - eventually filtering into my aged brain.  I think your location made me go the Marvelman route.
It's got me thinking, how many other heroes shouted a code word to change from a wee boy or their everyday self to a superhero?  I'm just thinking out loud here.
ip icon Logged

Mr Whiz

message icon
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2013, 05:05:23 PM »

Of The Marvel Family, Captain & Mary Marvel shouted "SHAZAM!"

Although, Captain Marvel Jr shouted "CAPTAIN MARVEL!"

I can't think of any other Superheroes who used this method for their transformation.

One thing's for sure, no Superheroes ever shout "HELP!"

ip icon Logged
Comic Book Plus In-House Image

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2013, 07:50:40 PM »

The other obvious ones (to me, at any rate) are the Marvelman family with "KIMOTA" and "MARVELMAN" and they are British versions of Cap. & co.  But,as I said, Captain Conquest shouted "Kagaran" to change and Masterman came to life when Bobby Fletcher uttered the oath that you'll find here:-
https://comicbookplus.com/?dlid=12976 
Page 6

Need to put on my thinking cap now.
ip icon Logged

jimmm kelly

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2013, 07:55:11 PM »

Back in the '70s I thought of this--what if on Earth-One saying the magic word brought the magic lightning down on Oliver Queen. I drew a picture of it, Ollie in a green version of Capt. Marvel's outfit, with his blonde hair slicked back (but still with the goatee). I thought it was pretty funny--should've sent it into DC, but I don't suppose they would've done anything with it. Anyway, since then I've always thought of Green Arrow as the Big Green Cheese.

Different heroes have had magic formulas for powering themselves up. Johnny Quick had his mathematical formula. Green Lantern said his oath (it's debatable if he needed to say it to power up his ring). And so on. In the 'early 70s--when Denny O'Neil couldn't seem to think of a Superman story that didn't involve the Man of Steel powering down--a kid named Billy Anders (kind of a combination of Freddy Freeman and Billy Batson) got Superman's powers and the Caped Kryptonian would have to make a mental picture of Billy's pet lynx to channel the super-powers back into his body.
ip icon Logged

Mr Whiz

message icon
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2013, 09:39:24 PM »

The other obvious ones (to me, at any rate) are the Marvelman family with "KIMOTA" and "MARVELMAN" and they are British versions of Cap. & co.  But,as I said, Captain Conquest shouted "Kagaran" to change and Masterman came to life when Bobby Fletcher uttered the oath that you'll find here:-
https://comicbookplus.com/?dlid=12976 
Page 6

Need to put on my thinking cap now.

Well remembered. Paw. Of course, Marvelman shouting  "KIMOTA!" was an unashamed imitation of Captain Marvel, I remember it now.

"KIMOTA!" -  I wonder if there was ever a Japanese Superhero who shouted, "TOYOTA!" ?
ip icon Logged

brucewalken

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: brucewalken
message icon
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2013, 07:39:33 PM »

hello all :D

dont use download sites very often but i was just flicking through thee old interweb and found this site and it blew me away! As everything is free for all I thought I would just say hi to everyone on here and thank the site for been awesome about letting people get stuff for free. Really looking forward to using this site and filling up my computer with some classic comics. So hi all and bye all im off to check the site out :D
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2013, 09:03:40 PM »

Welcome and enjoy Bruce
ip icon Logged

MarkWarner

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2013, 06:21:32 AM »

Indeed have FUN!!!
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2013, 06:28:23 PM »

Hello Bruce.  Welcome to CB+.  Enjoy the comics and lets hear from you on the forum.
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.